How Do You Cook Your Steaks?

Wow, never heard of cooking a steak frozen before. Weird. Most advice against this.
Watch the vid. It depends on how you freeze it. You can retain the water if you freeze it properly and the biggest concern about a frozen steak is that it won't cook all the way through. This is fine if you bake it in the oven.

Medium rare on the broiler, especially with a filet. If you cook a filet or rib eye more than you are just monster.
I borderline mine between medium-rare / medium. My girlfriend always wants hers well done, smh. She will literally make me put it back on the pan if she can see any pink throughout. Terrible.

Ketchup in general is gross. I bet most of you put it on your hot dogs too.

I'd love to but my landlord doesn't allow grills unfortunately.

Have you considered fucking your landlady until she loved you? I think you would be grilling and chilling in no time. It worked for Woody Harrelson in Kingpin.

Ketchup in general is gross. I bet most of you put it on your hot dogs too.
Now on hot dogs, that's a different story. When I do hotdogs, I usually do the Mexican street-dog style.

Wrap them in bacon, put them on the grill along with bell pepper, onion and jalapeno. When it's done cooking, throw the hotdog in the bun, throw the peppers and onion on the hotdog and add ketchup, mustard, and mayo. Only way to eat a hot dog TeTe.

Now on hot dogs, that's a different story. When I do hotdogs, I usually do the Mexican street-dog style.

Wrap them in bacon, put them on the grill along with bell pepper, onion and jalapeno. When it's done cooking, throw the hotdog in the bun, throw the peppers and onion on the hotdog and add ketchup, mustard, and mayo. Only way to eat a hot dog TeTe.
Only in California. I swear, one of the few things I'm going to miss when I move out there in the spring is the food here. I went to a "chicago style" place in San Diego the last time I was out there and they were charging $6.25 for a Chicago style dog. The "deep dish" was fucking garbage too.

Only in California. I swear, one of the few things I'm going to miss when I move out there in the spring is the food here. I went to a "chicago style" place in San Diego the last time I was out there and they were charging $6.25 for a Chicago style dog. The "deep dish" was fucking garbage too.
What's a Chicago style dog?

What's a Chicago style dog?
chicago-style-hot-dog_20231.jpg

Notice the absence of ketchup

It has probably already been said, but the easiest method that will reliably yield the best cooked steak is a slow, low temp bake finished with a hot cast iron sear.

There is a fallacy that starting with a sear will 'seal' in juices - many sources have tested weights of pre/post sear and shown little to no variation in weight from fluid.

Always let cuts of meat raise to room temperature before cooking. The slow bake method helps a lot because you can easily get the desired 'done-ness', let it rest, then finally add in the browning sear. If you start from the outside with high heat first your variation for internal cooking temperature will only be a handful of seconds; ie you will go from med rare, med, med well very, very quickly (also keep in mind it will continue to cook after being taken off of direct heat).

Sous vide is also very popular, but I don't feel like buying another machine for my already over packed kitchen.

Ideally I want to bring the steak down to room temp and then pat them down dry. Seasoning I keep it simple with just salt and pepper. Grill on each side for 6-7 minutes depending on thickness. Once in a blue moon I'll use clarified butter to coat the steak. Cook to medium rare. Simple yet effective. Meat cut is usually some type of rib eye either Choice or Prime depending if I want to splurge. Too cheap to buy A5 Wagyu in fear I would mess it up when cooking it.

I've always wanted to do the searing on both sides and then throwing it in the oven or using my sous vide, but too lazy once I bust out my grill.

@TeTe We've got old Mexican ladies outside of every bar in downtown San Jose waiting on drunks to come out and pay 5 dollars for one of these. Or 7 to add a Corona/Modelo and a bag of chips

la-dd-super-bowl-2015-diy-baconwrapped-hot-dog-cart-20150127

So how do you guys like cooking your steaks? What's your method?

tumblr_o5hrlsfYmW1vr2vt8o1_500.gif
Exactly as you posted.

Usually go high heat flipping every minute in the castiron until its about rare doneness, then drop the heat down and hit it with the butter blast with fresh herbs from my garden and garlic. Let it set for at least 5 minutes and it finishes at a nice medium rare.

For seasoning I just go salt at the start then hit it with pepper at the same time as butter.

Now if it's a really thick steak I'll sear in the cast iron, toss it in the oven, then finish with butter.

Last edited:
It has probably already been said, but the easiest method that will reliably yield the best cooked steak is a slow, low temp bake finished with a hot cast iron sear.

There is a fallacy that starting with a sear will 'seal' in juices - many sources have tested weights of pre/post sear and shown little to no variation in weight from fluid.

Always let cuts of meat raise to room temperature before cooking. The slow bake method helps a lot because you can easily get the desired 'done-ness', let it rest, then finally add in the browning sear. If you start from the outside with high heat first your variation for internal cooking temperature will only be a handful of seconds; ie you will go from med rare, med, med well very, very quickly (also keep in mind it will continue to cook after being taken off of direct heat).

Sous vide is also very popular, but I don't feel like buying another machine for my already over packed kitchen.

The reverse sear method is something I have always wanted to do at home. I guess I have done it at work to a certain extent. We would Sous Vide fillets to 115 degrees Fahrenheit with olive oil thyme and garlic then completely cool them down and hold them in the bags until ready to cook. I don't think this fully qualifies as a reverse sear because it starts cold (rested at room temperature) in the pan and still needs to be finished in the oven.

Fucking buillitproof method to cook fillets. Once I got the hang of it I could bang out 50 steaks at once for a party with 10 special Temps and not have any send backs.

I have a bad ass pellet grill and the reverse sear method is widely used by people who post videos and post in pellet grill forums. Slow cook/smoke on the grill and finish in the cast iron.

I always chicken out and cook traditionaly. Good steaks are expensive

Back