How do you deal with injuries?

Queen B

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I destroyed my back on the eccentric part of a deadlift because I didnt want to make loud noises at a gym, so I was putting the weights down very slowly after each rep.

Now I have a sharp lower back pain.

Right now I am

advanced-cream_product_big.png

81hknMLHlAL._SY355_.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Going to foam roll the hip area also.

Am I missing anything else?

Just ignore and continue training in the manner that caused the injury.

I typically push through them, which usually makes them worse.

I'm a middle child and so was Trent Dassouza. He applies the Middle Child Process to Effective Ignoration in his most recent interpretive dance performance. He strongly believes that ignoring something long enough will make it go away.

Now that i'm a bit older I listen to my body. If i'm hurting or injured a warm up more, rest a bit more, take some ibuprofen and if it's more than a very minor injury...go see the doctor. Would rather get it dealt with now than have it be worse later nad make it so in another decade I can't workout.

If it's just a muscular strain it's going to take a few weeks for it to fully heal. The good thing is is that that isn't too bad compared to some injuries and they usually heal up 100% in the long run. Best thing you can do is avoid complete rest. Walking is probably your best bet. You're still using those postural muscles when you walk and it'll help bring blood flow to the area to increase the rate of healing. Take it easy for a few days then start going on walks for a few weeks. Seriously.

I destroyed my back on the eccentric part of a deadlift because I didnt want to make loud noises at a gym, so I was putting the weights down very slowly after each rep.

Now I have a sharp lower back pain.

Right now I am

advanced-cream_product_big.png

81hknMLHlAL._SY355_.jpg

s-l300.jpg

Going to foam roll the hip area also.

Am I missing anything else?
Get on an inversion table. It'll change your bum life.

At this point, plenty of rest and eventual rehab. Probably more than I need, just to be on the safe side.

I plan my training in three month cycles with 5 workouts/week*, and anything more serious than a slight ache is pretty much guaranteed to throw a huge wrench into the schedule regardless of what I try to do to heal it. Trying to get back on track within the current cycle just means I risk further injury, which would mess up the cycle even more.

Best thing to do for me is pretty much to keep the cycle running, but take the particular excercise that injured me out of the equation entirely for the rest of the cycle.
I try to work it back into my schedule as soon as possible, obviously, but any notions of pushing for a peaking block PR I just drop entirely right away. My frequency of doing that excercise, set/rep ranges, weights etc is dictated by how the injury feels.

Once the cycle is done, hopefully I've recovered to the point where I can hope and plan for some improvement in the next cycle.

*I live my life a quarter mile at a time.

Last edited:
Back