How do you deal with the "helpful bro" rolling partner?

Maybe you can be passive aggressive back by saying "oh, did you give me the submission?"

How bout you bleeping, bleep bleeping be a bleeping man, instead of a whiny bleeping bleepidly blank EvenFlow..

and..

either talk to them.. like a grown man

just tap them..

Go train at another gym even as a visit so you can get set back to reality

Switch gyms period

Act like what you claim you are “only held back by time restraints not ability”

Act like a grown man bleeeeeepppp

Pretend you didn't hear and tap him out.

I might be sorta like this with lower belts, i dunno, i sometimes show them what they are doing wrong but only of they do something blatantly wrong. Ill also sub them, then show them how they coukd have defended sometimes.

When there's a lower belt, or even a person that's the same belt level as me that does that pussy ass shit to me, I always just say "shut the fuck up and roll." As soon as they open their mouth and tries to be a pussy shit and tries to coach, i always say "shut your fucking mouth and roll." I'll say it out loud too so everyone hears it that he's a pussy shit.

What about when you have someone in a submission, and you talk to them about how to escape it? Last week, I had a kid in a RNC. Instead of finishing it, I told him “turn to the choking arm” to encourage him to fight out of it, because my professor had taught me that when someone else had me in a RNC earlier in the week. So then he did and we continued to work. Thought I was being a good training partner passing on information. Seemed like a good way to
be a good training partner since we’re both white belts and I’m significantly bigger than he is. Was I wrong?

Just communicate with them and ask them not to. You don’t even have to be annoyed or upset when asking them either.

Just be like, “hey man can you please not do that while we roll ? I want to just try and get this on my own”

You can tell them to show you “After” the roll.
I agree with this, if someone keeps going on every time you roll with them, just do what your man here says.

If it’s just a one off don’t worry about it, they are either genuinely trying to be helpful or being a pussy either way who cares, just crack on.

I usually listen and thank him, but make it my mission to later dominate him in rolls. Make it clear that I am much better than he is. I consider it kind of passive agressive, not trying to hurt the guy, just don't let him do anything he wants during the roll.

The one who, just as you are locking in a submission, suddenly "stop" resisting and tell you which way to turn and move to finish the sub.

Its so freaking annoying!! Obviously I don't mind at all if one of the coaches or the black belts does this to me, in fact I appreciate it, but someone my rank or BELOW? I mean what the hell??

I'm sure you've all experienced the helpful bro, how do you make them stop without outright telling them to shut up? Subbing them sure as hell doesn't work as they make it seem like they "gave it to you"

i read most of your post and you did a good post but to finish your post correctly you need to use an analogy. Here, let me show you: "Subbing them sure as hell doesn't work... *it's like a politician accusing Donald Trump of having no shame.*"

What about when you have someone in a submission, and you talk to them about how to escape it? Last week, I had a kid in a RNC. Instead of finishing it, I told him “turn to the choking arm” to encourage him to fight out of it, because my professor had taught me that when someone else had me in a RNC earlier in the week. So then he did and we continued to work. Thought I was being a good training partner passing on information. Seemed like a good way to
be a good training partner since we’re both white belts and I’m significantly bigger than he is. Was I wrong?

At white belt you should really focus on executing your technique rather than trying to coach other white belts to defend your technique. You need the reps and the feel for finishing. It’s your training time. Your partner also needs to feel what it’s like to get choked. Tell him about the escape after the roll if you like.

Yes. Just finish, step over his still body and move to the next. You both learned more that way.

The one who, just as you are locking in a submission, suddenly "stop" resisting and tell you which way to turn and move to finish the sub.

Its so freaking annoying!! Obviously I don't mind at all if one of the coaches or the black belts does this to me, in fact I appreciate it, but someone my rank or BELOW? I mean what the hell??

I'm sure you've all experienced the helpful bro, how do you make them stop without outright telling them to shut up? Subbing them sure as hell doesn't work as they make it seem like they "gave it to you"

What is your rank?

Answer to your question - kick him in the face or wear headgear and pretend you can't hear him.

As a purple belt I do it to our whites and blues because it's expected of me, but it has to come in the flow of grappling. Mostly I do it if they get 80% of the way there and just need help to finish it off.
I once did it to a brown belt when I was blue. Was training in Bali, Indonesia and the brown belt got me with a papercutter choke. It was a little sloppy, but he got me, no questions there.
A black belt I train with happens to be a papercutter choke savant, so i asked if I could show him some fine details.
I was definitely out of line, but I think it was okay. Everyone is pretty laid back in Bali.

Back