How do you do your heavybag rounds?

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
If I am going hard and for intensity , 2 minute rounds. If I am trying to emulate fight pace, I go 3 minute rounds. 4-6 rounds seems to be the sweet spot. However, sometimes I will do a few 10 minute rounds strictly to work technique, combos, and arm/shoulder endurance. I try to hit the bag 3x per week. What should be the maximum amount of rounds per week?

How often should I do pad work? How long and how often?

There's no maximum imo, the bag is a tool used to help you reach your goals. For me, I need the bag, my major improvements have always been with bagwork and drilling. Other training partners of mine make waves with padwork, I don't unless its guaranteed good padwork.

I tend to separate bagwork as 2 types:
-technique repetition
-gameplan tactics (kinda like sparring the bag if that makes sense)

my rounds for tech is 4 x 3-5min and the gameplan one is like the rounds I emulate and double the volume. So it would be 6 x 2min. Its high paced intensity wise

Then there are times which isn't too often where I'll tabata the bag with 20s work, 10s rest. 6-10 sets

For frequency I do bagwork after classes/sessions. So its usually 4-5 times a week.

How often should you do padwork? If its with a really good padholder and not from someone too green in a large class, as much as you can. It would be the same like bagwork. For the most part, pads are really tabatas, and sometimes on the far end of the spectrum just an ego boost, but thats just me.

There's no maximum imo, the bag is a tool used to help you reach your goals. For me, I need the bag, my major improvements have always been with bagwork and drilling. Other training partners of mine make waves with padwork, I don't unless its guaranteed good padwork.

I tend to separate bagwork as 2 types:
-technique repetition
-gameplan tactics (kinda like sparring the bag if that makes sense)

my rounds for tech is 4 x 3-5min and the gameplan one is like the rounds I emulate and double the volume. So it would be 6 x 2min. Its high paced intensity wise

Then there are times which isn't too often where I'll tabata the bag with 20s work, 10s rest. 6-10 sets

For frequency I do bagwork after classes/sessions. So its usually 4-5 times a week.

How often should you do padwork? If its with a really good padholder and not from someone too green in a large class, as much as you can. It would be the same like bagwork. For the most part, pads are really tabatas, and sometimes on the far end of the spectrum just an ego boost, but thats just me.

I never do padwork, not because I dont want to, just the lack of someone who does it well. I really like heavybag work because I feel the difference physically.

Recently I have been stuck in the home working out so it’s only in my home gym.

Home gym is usually 5 3 minutes rounds try focusing on preset combos from my favorite coach and work on pivoting, stepping, slipping etc.. which is actually a pretty good workout. For more free style work I ,Ike to throw a punch or short combo and focus on the desired area for example pivot to the left, left upper cut to the body that is the focus and add some stuff to set it up jab right uppercut — pivot— left uppercut, jab body left hook— pivot— left uppercut.

After heavy bag five rounds on the double end bag varying from simple to more complex patterns.

I usually randomize my rounds, i'll 10 or 3 or 5 rounds. But i'll do mostly mixed martial arts, i'll do 1 round boxing 1 round muay thai, then do a couple of rounds mma style (i practice getting inside on the body and practice shooting for the takedown on the bag in those round while using some striking). I'll sometimes go light on the bag, then go hard i'll mix it up between hard and light.

I light light / semi hard volume training.

Today i did 10 x 3 min rounds muay thai, and 10 x 3 min boxing on the heavybag.

Long combinations with nice flow. And some hard shots or flurries mixed into each round.

I usually go into a bag session knowing which combos or single punches I want to work and I'll usually alternate the rounds. One round being a touch/fight pace round. The next being the specific combo I designated to work that round. 6-10x3 min rounds and i almost always work jabs only on my last round.

I rely more on paddles and pads for kicking.

Back