How do you not "use the power in your shoulder" when you throw a jab?

Naked Choke

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I was sparring today and my trainer kept telling me that I was putting too much power in my shoulder. (He's Japanese so the translation might be the cause of the confusion)

I kind of understood what he meant but I don't think I was fully understanding this.

When I throw my jab I am using my shoulder too much or something but at the same time he wants me to turn my body and use my shoulder but without too much power so I think I'm just missing something here...

Any insights?

Do you know any good japanese boxers??
Get someone at the gym who can translate.

are you sideways or straight when you jab?

maybe yoru coach wants body positioning more like this?
5635.gsp+kos+1+mma+crossfire.JPG

I was sparring today and my trainer kept telling me that I was putting too much power in my shoulder. (He's Japanese so the translation might be the cause of the confusion)

I kind of understood what he meant but I don't think I was fully understanding this.

When I throw my jab I am using my shoulder too much or something but at the same time he wants me to turn my body and use my shoulder but without too much power so I think I'm just missing something here...

Any insights?

I think he might be referring to the fact that you're putting too much "arm" into the punch. When you throw the jab, you ideally want to draw power from your legs (as your weight shifts) and turn your torso slightly as your shoulder protrudes out with the punch.

Throw with your tricep (straighten your arm) instead of via shoulder, can still get some snap into it if you play with weight distribution & timing.

Are you landing the punch as your lead foot makes contact with the floor?

Also important that you pull your torso clockwise as the jab extends. It is sometimes helpful to focus on pulling your right shoulder back, but be sure to keep your hand close to your face. This is assuming your feet are doing what they're supposed to do, but it will ensure that the jab is getting torso rotation behind the punch. If you're not doing this now, you'll be happy to know a couple of inches of reach and a whole lot of pop are about to be added to your jab!

The power for a jab should come from the push off the back foot, not a lean onto the front-foot, and not ONLY the shoulder with the feet in unbalanced positions. When you jab properly, it'll land harder if your torso is pulled slightly back and you push with the back foot than if you reach for it and try to pop with just the shoulder.

Hard to tell without a video, but it sounds like you're slightly squared and rotating into the jab. He's probably just telling you to narrow your stance and shoot the jab straight out from the shoulder, rather than throwing it like a half-straight punch.

In other words, angle off so your shoulder is already in the position it'll be when the shot lands. Aim your shoulder at his head.

Might not be your style though, so try it and see what you like. Plenty of guys get results jabbing with a rotation. Quartey and Winky did it a lot.

The power for a jab should come from the push off the back foot, not a lean onto the front-foot, and not ONLY the shoulder with the feet in unbalanced positions. When you jab properly, it'll land harder if your torso is pulled slightly back and you push with the back foot than if you reach for it and try to pop with just the shoulder.

Sinister can you take another stab at this explanation? I am either getting the visual all wrong or not grokking what your saying, becuase the image that is creating has terrible mechanics.

Sinister can you take another stab at this explanation? I am either getting the visual all wrong or not grokking what your saying, becuase the image that is creating has terrible mechanics.

I believe he is trying to say that you push off the back foot setting your weight in a forward motion. The pull of the torso might come from rotating it slightly. In the end he's just saying you should push off the back foot instead of leaning forward.

This thread that he commented on might help out a bit http://www.sherdog.net/forums/f11/building-strong-foundation-1706503/

The rotation of the torso I'm speaking of is toward the rear-hand. So that you get skinny when the jab hand goes out, minimizing surface area to be hit back and creating what will be a sling-shot motion of the hips for the cross. And putting the weight into the pinch, as DiPoet above states, is done by pushing off the back foot, not leaning onto the front foot.

The rotation of the torso I'm speaking of is toward the rear-hand. So that you get skinny when the jab hand goes out, minimizing surface area to be hit back and creating what will be a sling-shot motion of the hips for the cross. And putting the weight into the pinch, as DiPoet above states, is done by pushing off the back foot, not leaning onto the front foot.

Okay, that makes more sense. I was reading that as leaning backwards with the jab.

In all techniques, only certain muscles should be activated to supply the power. All of the rest should be relaxed in order to allow the easiest, quickest movements.

One way I've had it explained is that if you can feel power in your body while doing techniques...well, that's energy that you didn't put into your opponent. Isn't it?

i see, that helped, thanks.

When you combine the power jab (push off the back foot) with a "shoulder jab" you get power almost comparable to a right hand. Plenty of famous boxers have used this type of jab(Patterson, Frazier etc.) You back pivot with your torso.

Last edited:
When you combine the power jab (push off the back foot) with a "shoulder jab" you get power almost comparable to a right hand. Plenty of famous boxers have used this type of jab(Patterson, Frazier etc.) You back pivot with your torso.
picgifs-doctor-who-4129151.gif
This thread is seven years old.

Last edited:
Back