How do you rate the following politically oriented comedians on a 1-10 scale?

Most of them can't make politics consistently funny.

The king, George Carlin was the only one one who could.

Most of them can't make politics consistently funny.

The king, George Carlin was the only one one who could.
We've gotten used to getting all of our political jokes in television monologue format, imo. Maher and Stewart and Colbert and Oliver and even Michelle Wolf are hilarious at times (and thank fuck they have come a long way since Leno/Letterman and their staleness), but nobody else has come along with Carlin's ability to weave it into a real performance.

Sam seder?

<FookIsThatGuy>

Norm and Bill Burr are 9 or 10 and there is a massive dropoff after that with each one shittier than the next.

IMO the only two worth talking about are Bills, Burr and Maher. Burr probably take the cake there because he's not as pompous and stuck up his own ass.

Schumer, Silverman, Crowder, and Griffin are some of the most unfunny people around. I think Rogan is better when he's not doing politics or rants about society. I think the general state of late-night TV is pretty bad right now. Fallon isn't really political. I don't recall ever hearing about Gutfeld or Seder before.

I'll skip the ones I'm not familiar with, and that leaves these:

Sarah Silverman 6
Norm MacDonald 7
Bill Burr 6
Joe Rogan 2
Jimmy Kimmel 6
Jimmy Fallon 4
Seth Meyers 7
Bill Maher 4
Steven Crowder 1 (kind of unfair to consider him a comedian, though he possibly sucks even more if you consider him a pundit)
Kathy Griffin 3

Not really aware of any of them except Maher being all that political in their acts (Crowder doesn't really have an act, but whatever it is he does, it is political). I kind of tune out from or fast-forward through Maher's monologues, but I like the discussions and new rules, most of which I don't think he writes.

Amy Schumer -4 beyond trash
Sarah Silverman 4 meh
Norm MacDonald 4 isn't he Canadian?
Greg Gutfeld 3 boring
Bill Burr 8.5
Joe Rogan 3.5 not my thing
Michelle Wolf 7.5 I'm basing this score on the one roast
Jimmy Kimmel 2
Greg Gutfeld 3
Jimmy Fallon 1.5 sugary garbage
Seth Meyers 7
Bill Maher 4.5 that smug shit is extremely off-putting
Sam Seder ???
Steven Crowder 3 I get whast he's saying but I get my daily dose of male whining online
Trevor Noah 3.5 I wish he was funny to me, I'd like to laugh at his jokes, Maybe some day. He's seems nice at least. And the accent..;
Kathy Griffin -10 heffa is trash

Amy Schumer 3

Sarah Silverman 8

Norm MacDonald 9

Greg Gutfeld Not familiar with him

Bill Burr 10 best comedian out there right now

Joe Rogan 7 only for his podcast. I'm not a fan of his stand up

Michelle Wolf Not familliar

Jimmy Kimmel 6, He used to be great before he turned into a giant pussy.

Greg Gutfeld Not familliar with him

Jimmy Fallon 7, although I don't consider him very political

Seth Meyers 2, never found him funny

Bill Maher 7, He has his moments

Sam Seder Not familliar

Steven Crowder 8, He can be painfully right wing, but his show is hilarious

Trevor Noah 0, I find it tacky when people make a living criticizing a country they're a guest at.

Kathy Griffin 2
Trevor Noah pays taxes which as far as I'm concerned gives him the right to say what he says regardless of citizenship status.

Steven Crowder and Greg Gutfeld are considered comedians? They might be the least funny people to ever claim that title.

I’ve never heard Crowder’s standup but his podcast is largely unlistenable so I don’t have high expectations. That said, his sketch comedy is occasionally funny.

If anyone on that list is a 10/10, then what is George Carlin? 20/10?

my grandparents also swam in the Hudson river. That and the flamethrower joke are two of my favorites.

Norm 9/10
Used to be into Sarah but her political opinions are so off-putting... 3/10
the rest... who cares/10

Trevor Noah pays taxes which as far as I'm concerned gives him the right to say what he says regardless of citizenship status.

I agree. He has every right to say what he wants. I just think it's in bad taste. It's like going over to a friends house for dinner and insulting their dog. It's just tacky.

I’ve never heard Crowder’s standup but his podcast is largely unlistenable so I don’t have high expectations. That said, his sketch comedy is occasionally funny.

This one popped up on my Youtube page the other day. I thought it was pretty good.

If anyone on that list is a 10/10, then what is George Carlin? 20/10?

No one on the list is a 10. I'd give Carlin an 8.

TBH the 1-10 scale doesn't work for comedians. A baseball-style 2-8 scale with 5 being an average working pro would be better. Carlin would get a 7 on that.

I agree. He has every right to say what he wants. I just think it's in bad taste. It's like going over to a friends house for dinner and insulting their dog. It's just tacky.

that's nonsense. he lives here and pays his taxes. he's living the American Dream even if he is not American. Most of the douchebags in here have never travelled outside to a particular country (or just outside the US in general) and yet still comment on said country in this forum. Trevor Noah lives here. And he's visited more states than I have and I travel for work...

I don't think Jimmy Fallon is politically oriented. I always saw him as trying to stay out of politics or at least neutral.

Bill Burr is the GOAT and when he talks about politics on his podcast, it is 100% comedy.

Of that list it's definitely Burr then whoever is next after him is like 3-4 floor beneath if he's in the Penthouse.

This one and his rant about use of certain words (same as Louis CK's) are both fucking great.

I don't think Jimmy Fallon is politically oriented. I always saw him as trying to stay out of politics or at least neutral.

Bill Burr is the GOAT and when he talks about politics on his podcast, it is 100% comedy.

Ah. I was wondering why people were so high on Burr, who seems like a decent but not extraordinary stand-up to me. Must be the podcast, which I've never heard.

Ah. I was wondering why people were so high on Burr, who seems like a decent but not extraordinary stand-up to me. Must be the podcast, which I've never heard.
Burr's older specials are far FAR better than his more recent ones. His Netflix special IMO actually isn't that good but he had a great rant in a special a couple years ago about his gf buying a rescue dog... that was a pitbull, while he was on tour.

I tried embedding this earlier and the new format it didn't work but this is a good example of why he's interesting/awesome. Type in Bill Burr roundtable and it's like the first result

Bill Burr is funny across the board. He had a bunch of good stand up specials in a row, and he's hilarious in interviews. It is pretty rare to be consistently good in comedy, and he was pretty consistent for a period of time.

Back