How do you rate the following politically oriented comedians on a 1-10 scale?

I miss John Oliver and Jim Jefferies from the list

Ah. I was wondering why people were so high on Burr, who seems like a decent but not extraordinary stand-up to me. Must be the podcast, which I've never heard.

Don't get me wrong. I love his stand up (aside from his most recent Texas one). I love dark humor so he easy to like.

The podcast is great and really shows off his talent. He can ramble on for 30 minutes and some of it is gold. I wish more comedians did something like that.

Burr's older specials are far FAR better than his more recent ones. His Netflix special IMO actually isn't that good but he had a great rant in a special a couple years ago about his gf buying a rescue dog... that was a pitbull, while he was on tour.

I tried embedding this earlier and the new format it didn't work but this is a good example of why he's interesting/awesome.

Not working for me, but that makes sense too (that he's being rated on older stuff I haven't seen or don't recall). I remember him from Chappelle's show (Dave is an 8 of 8 or 10 of 10 IMO) and then I saw his recent special. In both cases, I liked it, but he didn't blow me away or anything.

Not working for me, but that makes sense too (that he's being rated on older stuff I haven't seen or don't recall). I remember him from Chappelle's show (Dave is an 8 of 8 or 10 of 10 IMO) and then I saw his recent special. In both cases, I liked it, but he didn't blow me away or anything.
The thing I appreciate about Burr and Rogan to a lesser degree is that when they do political shit.. they go after EVERYONE. Carlin did that too. Rogan's special on Netflix he chews out fucking everyone for the elections and it's great.

His most recent special is his worst. Watch anything before that to get a better idea.

Dave is a 10, and Carlin is an 8? I think Carlin has a much more impressive body of work if we're talking about stand-up. Dave's show is his real claim to fame, because he really only had a couple really good stand up routines.

His most recent special is his worst. Watch anything before that to get a better idea.

Dave is a 10, and Carlin is an 8? I think Carlin has a much more impressive body of work if we're talking about stand-up. Dave's show is his real claim to fame, because he really only had a couple really good stand up routines.

I think his stand-up is among the best I've seen.

Jeffries should be on the list. He's the current best, imo.

He's great. Not very political from what I've seen, but I'd say that about a lot of the list. He's a 7/9 (depending on the scale) IMO.

He's great. Not very political from what I've seen, but I'd say that about a lot of the list. He's a 7/9 (depending on the scale) IMO.
What sorta scale are you using where a 7 and a 9 are about the same?

What sorta scale are you using where a 7 and a 9 are about the same?

The baseball scouting one (often 20-80 rather than 2-8). Five (or 50) is MLB average, 6 is one standard deviation above average, etc. So under 2 would be "not professional caliber," which arguably applies to Crowder but none of the rest of the list.

The baseball scouting one (often 20-80 rather than 2-8). Five (or 50) is MLB average, 6 is one standard deviation above average, etc. So under 2 would be "not professional caliber," which arguably applies to Crowder but none of the rest of the list.
bff

We're going to stick to a 10 point scale, because nobody knows what the hell you're talking about.

that's nonsense. he lives here and pays his taxes. he's living the American Dream even if he is not American. Most of the douchebags in here have never travelled outside to a particular country (or just outside the US in general) and yet still comment on said country in this forum. Trevor Noah lives here. And he's visited more states than I have and I travel for work...

Like I said... He has every right to do so, because that's part of what the U.S. is about, but it's still tacky. I've been to several different countries myself when I was in the Army, but that doesn't give me the right to be disrespectful to those places.

There is also a difference between talking shit on an anonymous internet sub forum and having your livelihood be dependent on criticizing a country that is hosting you

I'm not saying that we aren't without our problems and faults, and that he never makes valid points; but It would be the same thing as some redneck from the United States setting up shop Paris, hosting a television show and smugly building his career around certain failings of their political climate while being overly critical of their refuge crisis.

This is like the ONE guy at the rifle range doing everything in meters with MOA adjustments while everyone else goes with yards and mil adjustment.

So the overall motif is that George Carlin sets the all time standard for political comedy and for modern political comedy there's Norm Bill Burr together at number one and anyone else a very distant second, third and so on. Disdain for Griffin, Noah and Silverman seems widespread and the forum seems to have it out for Crowder. I mean, I find sections of his podcasts genuinely entertaining and he's now at 2 million subscribers on YT but this forum seems to have it out for him, even among those who are relatively close in alignment to him politically. I don't see him as being as horrific as the respondents, including, it seems, the more conservative ones, have said he is.

Last edited:
Like I said... He has every right to do so, because that's part of what the U.S. is about, but it's still tacky. I've been to several different countries myself when I was in the Army, but that doesn't give me the right to be disrespectful to those places.

There is also a difference between talking shit on an anonymous internet sub forum and having your livelihood be dependent on criticizing a country that is hosting you

I'm not saying that we aren't without our problems and faults, and that he never makes valid points; but It would be the same thing as some redneck from the United States setting up shop Paris, hosting a television show and smugly building his career around certain failings of their political climate while being overly critical of their refuge crisis.

He's a comedian. His career is about making fun of things he finds critical or funny about. And he's entertaining Americans so obviously he will tackle issues we care about. If his show focused solely on South Africa very few people would watch it here. I don't see why you feel its insulting for him to comment on political issues when he lives in the US right now. Hell even if didn't live in the US it'd be okay. As long as his point is good,make sense and most importantly is funny it shouldn't matter where that shit comes from. And you ignore the fact that he's not the only writer for the daily show. He's got a team around him and they're probably mostly Americans.

Last edited:
This is like the ONE guy at the rifle range doing everything in meters with MOA adjustments while everyone else goes with yards and mil adjustment.

:) There's a point, though. There are thousands of people making some kind of living as a comedian or trying to, and all of the people on the list except Crowder and possibly the ones I've never head of are in the top 1%. An honest list would have them all at nines or 10s. We want to narrow the focus, though. And we also should recognize that there's a bell curve.

Back