Opinion How do you think automated farming will change the world?

Less than 1% of a developed country workforce works in farming, it will change nothing, farms are already "automated".

Automation in agriculture still needs human intelligence to make day to day decisions.

Agriculture's current level of automation is little more than complex labor saving devices. The "game changer" level of automation will come with advances in AI technology.

Last edited:
farmjobs.jpg

As said, farming is heavily automated at this point already. The productivity gains over the last 100 years are insane. What will be interesting is what crops we apply that automation towards. @Madmick had a thread before about how we need to change our resource allocation and what we grow if we want to achieve food and population sustainability.

Just like coal miners, eventually they'll have to shift to what will almost certainly be less trapped lives where they can rise above their station instead of having generations of children growing up slotted for the same.

As said, farming is heavily automated at this point already. The productivity gains over the last 100 years are insane. What will be interesting is what crops we apply that automation towards. @Madmick had a thread before about how we need to change our resource allocation and what we grow if we want to achieve food and population sustainability.

Our current food infrastructure could sustain several more billion people. We're not even close to peak production.

In that context, I'm not exactly sure what "food and population sustainability" is supposed to mean.

His point was proven.
I'm afraid not. He's not even communicating clearly.

I figured his post was just an empty and baseless insult, but I was willing to entertain the idea that there might have been some deeper substance.

Useless opinion article from a corrupt publication.

Our current food infrastructure could sustain several more billion people. We're not even close to peak production.

In that context, I'm not exactly sure what "food and population sustainability" is supposed to mean.
There was a thread specifically about how what we grow isn't nutritionally appropriate. That we devote too many resources to the wrong types of crops. So while we produce more than enough food for billions of people, we don't produce enough of the right food to meet the nutritional requirements of those people.

Think about it like saying we have enough money to eat popcorn and liver for every meal, every day. Great...no one will go hungry. But you can't sustain a healthy diet eating popcorn and liver. That's the conversation, just on a global scale and centered around grain production and cattle vs. fruits and vegetables.

Edit: http://forums.sherdog.com/threads/g...t-meet-fruit-veggies-protein-demands.3855393/

Well, it will serve to push even more folks off the farm, which is a bad thing, IMO.

Long term, humanity will need to return to life where we are more actively involved in our food production, and live closer to our food sources.

I figured his post was just an empty and baseless insult, but I was willing to entertain the idea that there might have been some deeper substance.

Sorry, I couldn't turn down the set up. You said farming requires human intelligence. By saying "but I thought you were a successful farmer" I was implying that you do not have any intelligence. Kind of like if I said "lawyers all have huge dicks" and then you said "wait, so how did you become a lawyer then?"

You could by automated hydroponic grow rooms made from shipping containers that are highly efficient for a few years now.

Will there be more sexy robot farmers?

It was perfectly clear. He was poking fun at you and you didn't get it.

Back