How does Bellator afford to offer insane amounts to Chuck/Mirko?

Viacom has the money but I don't know why they think it's a good investment. Does it really help their numbers by much to have those kind of guys at this point?

Maybe they get big money for international distribution?

so now scott coker paying fighters not Viacom that news to me.

Viacom is not giving him a blank cheque though. Coker overpayed plenty in Strikeforce and suffered because of it. Just because he is paying these top guys does not mean they are doing well, in fact they are not getting great numbers at all.

Ask Affliction how that turned out

I think Tim Sylvia was making 750,000 at the time
I hope Sylvia saw the writing on the wall about his career, and put about 700k of that under his mattress for his retirement years.

It doesn’t make sense to me.

And you’d think at a time like this where UFC is screwing with fighter money that Bellator would take advantage but instead they go fill the roster with 40-50 year old fighters.

Supply n demand.

Biggest names UFC allows to let go ... supply.

Bellator needs guys that will get the interest of non Bellator fans such as UFC fans talking about them like in this thread u created ... demand.

Supply n demand.

Biggest names UFC allows to let go ... supply.

Bellator needs guys that will get the interest of non Bellator fans such as a UFC fans talking about them like in this thread u created ... demand.

ITT we are all Bellator bots

Viacom is not giving him a blank cheque though. Coker overpayed plenty in Strikeforce and suffered because of it. Just because he is paying these top guys does not mean they are doing well, in fact they are not getting great numbers at all.

well Viacom is approving all the people he signing. chael vs rampage got over a 1.5 million views which is all that spike tv cares about.

vicaom signed cro cop cause they know the big rating they get for his fights as well.

Chuck Mirko is the greatest brawler to ever do this thing.

Chuck_Mirko.jpg

I may have misread the title.

as sad as it is to say...I bet way fewer people are tuning in to Bellator for quality guys like Rory and Gegard compared to Kimbo-Dada, Royce-Ken, Chael-Tito, etc.

You can check through ratings here to see that supposed steals like Bendo, Rory and Gegard really aren't any different from the guys Bellator already had and were paying less.
http://themmareport.com/category/bellator-tv-ratings/

You can check through ratings here to see that supposed steals like Bendo, Rory and Gegard really aren't any different from the guys Bellator already had and were paying less.
http://themmareport.com/category/bellator-tv-ratings/

the best fighters are often not the best draws in the UFC either, so I guess we can't be that surprised.

I am skeptical when just comparing the numbers though, as there can be so many relevant variables:

- who was the opponent (a 'draw' or some random)?
- was the rest of the card weak or strong?
- was there strong, normal, or weak competition on TV that night?
- if it was a PPV event, was there another event shortly before or after than might have affected the buys for this one?
- how much promotion/hype went into the event on the part of the org, fighters, media, etc?

Even though Bellator may pay there's fighters less, the fighters are at least allowed to have/wear/promote company's that sponsor them and not have to pay Bellator a fee to sponsor fighters and have there logo's on there fighting attire they wear in the cage.

So alot of those fighters are prob making more then they would fighting under the UFC banner getting that pittance Reebok money.

Viacom is owned by Paramount .....Endless money

Ask Affliction how that turned out

I think Tim Sylvia was making 750,000 at the time
Sonnen+Rampage made 300k each when they fought each other, and Macdonald+Lima made 100k each. I'm not convinced Bellator IS breaking the bank with their pay, the "real" money is made via sponsors (or so we are led to believe)

Chuck is horrible idea but cro cop is on 8 fight win streak

Back