How does Branko Cikatić rank among the greatest kickboxers?

spacetime

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I mostly hear Peter Aerts, Ernesto Hoost, Semmi Schilt in the discussions. The most intimidating guy in my opinion was my Yugoslavian country man Branko Cikatić. He had such a brute force knockout power in his fists and ruthlessness in the ring. Terrifying guy.

Why isn't his name mentioned more often. He spanked Hoost twice in succession in K1. Flatlined him both times. Hoost had a horrible glass jaw though.. Perfect prey for power punchers

One of the best. Him, Hug, and Filho are the second level of HW greatness after the holy trinity of Aerts, Schilt and Hoost.

One of the best. Him, Hug, and Filho are the second level of HW greatness after the holy trinity of Aerts, Schilt and Hoost.
not even close he was like Leko or Bernardo a decent fighter but not a top tier one that just happen to get some decent wins. Then you take into account that he was one of the most dirtiest fighters ever who'd intentionally start fouling his opponents when things don't go his way.

Because they are rated for GP wins, longevity and consistency when it comes to GOAT conversations. After winning the first GP Branko had a spotty record that lasted only a few years.

not even close he was like Leko or Bernardo a decent fighter but not a top tier one that just happen to get some decent wins. Then you take into account that he was one of the most dirtiest fighters ever who'd intentionally start fouling his opponents when things don't go his way.
He "just happened" to get KO wins over Ernesto Hoost, Satake and Changpuek? I disagree strongly. He lacked longevity but at his peak he was a monster. He was dirty as he should be, when someone is trying to turn off your brain you better do everything in your power to stop it.

He "just happened" to get KO wins over Ernesto Hoost, Satake and Changpuek? I disagree strongly. He lacked longevity but at his peak he was a monster. He was dirty as he should be, when someone is trying to turn off your brain you better do everything in your power to stop it.
you a troll? Changpuek was a 70-76KG fighter fighting at HW he was no different then Kaoklai other then being more skilled and having more power. Knocking out Hoost x2 so what so did Sapp and as for Satake he was your typical Japanese HW Kickboxer he wasn't that good.

I'm not even going to comment on the part where you're agreeing with his use of dirty tactics because I rather not get yellow carded.

He was top tier, but he was simply older and was entering his 40s when the K-1 era started. Of course he could not be consistent beeing over 40 years old.
If K-1 started 10 years earlier in 1983, he would have probably got 3-4 GP titles also.

He was the first K-1 GP champion, and multiple times world and european champion in years before K-1, when those titles mattered and when world`s best fighters competed there.

He was the best fighter in the world.

He was top tier, but he was simply older and was entering his 40s when the K-1 era started. Of course he could not be consistent beeing over 40 years old.
If K-1 started 10 years earlier in 1983, he would have probably got 3-4 GP titles also.

He was the first K-1 GP champion, and multiple times world and european champion in years before K-1, when those titles mattered and when world`s best fighters competed there.

Yeah but he lost to one of those sissy lead leg side kick shiny pants KB Don the Dragon Wilson. That's pretty bad for a K1 caliber fighter

he was not the best fighter in the world he lost multiple times to the likes of Don Wilson, Stan the Man , and was on his way to losing to Dennis Alexio before found a way out.

Yeah but he lost to one of those sissy lead leg side kick shiny pants KB Don the Dragon Wilson. That's pretty bad for a K1 caliber fighter
not only lost to him but got knocked out by a fighter with two broken hands in a fight Branko broke the rules multiple times because he was outclassed.

he was not the best fighter in the world he lost multiple times to the likes of Don Wilson, Stan the Man , and was on his way to losing to Dennis Alexio before found a way out.
He was the best fighter in the world at certain times, was world champion multiple times, specially with winning K-1 GP.
All of the greats lost some bouts, nobody is invincible and without losses.

87-9 pro record, but he lost 5 fights after beeing 39 yrs old, so he had 85-4 pro score till age of 38.

Aerts, Schilt, Hoost and I would add Mr Bonjasky on that list :)

Back