How does the US make money off of prisons?

It's not just private prisons, it's also state run prisons as well. The state gets acertain amount of money per prisoner from the feds, hence the more prisoners, the more money the state hauls in.

while you are correct that the Clintons engineered that crime bill (it was the height of the crack epidemic and everyone was paranoid), the GOP wanted far more draconian measures than what ultimately passed. Clinton met resistance from his party but his hand was forced due to the "soft on crime" rhetoric shouted from the right.

One thing I will give both Bill and Hillary credit for - I've seen a couple interviews/statements by both relating to this matter, and upon reflection, they admitted that they thought the Crime Bill was a huge mistake.

I suppose the idea behind 'The US making money' (meaning the US government?) Would be that it could save money in some situations. Not sure if that's true, but it is often true when governments decide to contract work out to private companies. I'm sure it is not true in some cases also.

Was curious as to how big the private prison industry was, and according to this in 2013 there was 8.4% of the US prison population held in privately run prisons

"Statistics from the U.S. Department of Justice show that, as of 2013, there were 133,000 state and federal prisoners housed in privately owned prisons in the U.S., constituting 8.4% of the overall U.S. prison population"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Private_prison

So given that number, the common idea that the US prison population is so high in large part due to private prisons really wouldn't make sense. I can see the incentive of a private prison company wanting more business (more prisoners) but I can't see it being significant enough a factor in the grand scheme of things.

Did they provide numbers on privately managed vs privately owned vs government run?

It is my understanding that most are government owned but privately managed.

Back