How effective is the jab or leg kicks/knees in real fight?

thats the reality of it. the jab is great if you can follow with a right hand as they come at you. a lot of untrained people will try to charge at you and tackle if it looks like you know how to punch, that's were the knee or uppercut come in.

You'd be a lot more reliable with the simple prosaic choice of learning how to sprawl and keep your balance, than trying to time an all or nothing strike. If you're looking to put in specific time for that, at that point, you may as well be working on your guillotines instead; you would probably get more people that way.

Last edited:
You'd be a lot more reliable with the simple prosaic choice of learning how to sprawl and keep your balance, than trying to time an all or nothing strike. If you're looking to put in specific time for that, at that point, you may as well be working on your guillotines instead; you would probably get more people that way.
wasn't talking about the all or nothing shot, i was referring to under hook and then knee or uppercut.

wasn't talking about the all or nothing shot, i was referring to under hook and then knee or uppercut.

Were you? If you mean to talk about a certain thing it helps to actually mention it in the post. Just in case anyone misunderstands you, you see.

Last edited:
Were you? If you mean to talk about a certain thing it helps to actually mention it in the post. Just in case anyone misunderstands you, you see.
actually clean doubles and shots don't come up much unless your around wrestlers. usually a collar tie and uppercut is one of the easiest moves to get and one of the most effective if you can punch. snap downs are a better option if someone shots low in a street fight.

actually clean doubles and shots don't come up much unless your around wrestlers. usually a collar tie and uppercut is one of the easiest moves to get and one of the most effective if you can punch. snap downs are a better option if someone shots low in a street fight.

You're changing your story around a whole lot, thrice in as many posts in fact. Are you feeling okay right now?

You're changing your story around a whole lot, thrice in as many posts in fact. Are you feeling okay right now?
not changing the story at all, just saying you go with what is available at to time. if you can time a shot as they come in thats great, if you need to under hook and sprawl, do that. just saying proper sprawls aren't as big of a part in most street fights, as collar ties and clothes grabbing are. your obviously looking for an argument, so i wii facilitate you if you like. i think you know fuck all about street fighting and it's all just theory and bullshit from watching ufc. go train some more ufc clown hat.

not changing the story at all, just saying you go with what is available at to time. if you can time a shot as they come in thats great, if you need to under hook and sprawl, do that. just saying proper sprawls aren't as big of a part in most street fights, as collar ties and clothes grabbing are. your obviously looking for an argument, so i wii facilitate you if you like. i think you know fuck all about street fighting and it's all just theory and bullshit from watching ufc. go train some more ufc clown hat.

When a subject experiences cognitive dissonance, they will often resolve the contradiction by hallucinating; imagining their counterpart to have said something they have not said or that they themselves have said something they have not said, and then carry on arguing in these terms, to the confusion of their counterparts, often combined with emotive and agitated outbursts.

Anyways, enjoy life friend, keep your stress levels down.

Last edited:
When a subject experiences cognitive dissonance, they will often resolve the contradiction in their minds by hallucinating; imagining their counterpart to have said something they have not said or that they themselves have said something they have not said, and then carry on arguing in these terms, to the confusion of their counterparts, often combined with emotive and agitated outbursts.

Anyways, enjoy life friend, keep your stress levels down.
are yes, the old pretentious twat routine. i give you a three out of five for your opening move. must be great sitting there musing about shit you have never done before. what are you some kind of string theorist? i was just simplifying something and you had to act like you knew better, when you clearly don't have a clue. how many sprawls have you busted out in street fights anyway. because i know from experience that it is easier said than done when in a crowded situation or if you are out weighed by your opponent.

are yes, the old pretentious twat routine. i give you a three out of five for your opening move. must be great sitting there musing about shit you have never done before. what are you some kind of string theorist? i was just simplifying something and you had to act like you knew better, when you clearly don't have a clue. how many sprawls have you busted out in street fights anyway. because i know from experience that it is easier said than done when in a crowded situation or if you are out weighed by your opponent.

Why specify 'knees or uppercuts' in particular? Because...
a lot of untrained people will try to charge at you and tackle if it looks like you know how to punch

Certainly. So you have someone shooting in on your hips. What do?

To which a most highly esteemed and august mind might reply...
You'd be a lot more reliable with the simple prosaic choice of learning how to sprawl and keep your balance
Compared to betting the farm on a 'lucky' shot that is.

Ah except wait never mind, you didn't mean that at all when you said
a lot of untrained people will try to charge at you and tackle if it looks like you know how to punch, that's were the knee or uppercut come in.

We're talking *underhooks* now all of a sudden! Well that's definitely a topic i can get behind though, love me some underhooks in the clinch. Can't go wrong with them, great way to set up knees and uppercuts, especially if you can pin them against a wall or other surface.

People really should know better; didn't their mothers ever teach them to read the minds of their interlocutors, obviating the need to use crude words to express their specifications?

>see when i said 'that's where the knee or uppercut come in', what i meant was, pull out your sig and double tap him center mass, mozambique drill on the head, then come in with the knees and uppercuts, just to stay safe and make sure.

>you never said anything about any of that though

>i didn't say not to do it, did i?

Honestly, it's just expected, you know?

Ah except wait never mind, turns out we weren't talking about underhooks either, and in fact, it turns out we actually weren't talking about people shooting in for tackles at all in the first place! They just don't 'come up much' you know? Never mind that stuff earlier about people shooting in for panic tackling when they see themselves getting pieced up. It's all about those collar ties now.

And snap downs! Certainly no relation to sprawling in any way (and never mind how you go down into a front head lock with them in practice), as we know, snap downs are performed on someone standing in a more neutral posture! If you were to do it on someone who has already changed levels, it would be a down block! Ah hrm, except wait, you were talking about it in relation too 'a better option if someone shots low in a street fight'. A puzzle! Oh, but once again this just clearly demonstrates the superiority of being able to read each others minds.

Clearly, any impression of confused rhetorical ejaculations concerning dimly understood technical dynamics is naught but reader error!. Indeed, i fully agree! As i myself even mentioned earlier, guillotine chokes or related variations thereof are highly useful, and to get a guillotine choke on someone it's great to have snapdowns, a supremely useful wrinkle to have in ones gameplan; in the ring or in proving to the babes that you're the toughest speedo wearing motherfucker on the copa cabana beach.

Ah except wait never mind, forget all those times we said we weren't saying the things we said, turns out we were actually talking about all of these things, at once; in a sort of quantum super-position across time if you will, irrespective of whatever contingencies may be implied by the temporally successive record of our actual words. Such are not to be given any great weight, as we have demonstrated presently.

Alternately, it could be a case of someone gracelessly backtracking themselves, projecting and arguing deeper and deeper into a hole with each outing because they just gotta fire back for the sake of argument rather than finding a stool to step off their horse with, ultimately resorting to throwing anything and everything at the wall to see what sticks. 50/50 tossup either way id say.

This is a wall of all your own making pretty much. Lol.

You might have rejoined gracefully to the first post, and we could perhaps have had a nice conversation, acknowledging the validity of one point in relation to an earlier one, while bringing up an additional scenario or set of circumstances which could have implications on the topic.That's what we want right? Since all of us here are (presumably) enthusiasts of combat sports and martial arts in general. Or at least, a very brief one by acknowledging a point and simply leaving it at that. Or even not replying at all.

When you gave the impression that you were hallucinating and actually meant things you never said, i thought it was somewhat weird and impolite; a rather artless and uncouth method to save face in fact. I didn't want to 'pull the trigger' just like that though, and to be charitable i only highlighted it in a roundabout manner while giving you a potential out to take to save some honor.

Of course, you didn't take it, and proceeded to drive on heedlessly through the rockslide with yet another switch in argument track. Leaving us where we stand now, such as it is. Well, i am standing at least. Here's your reply.

Last edited:
a good jab has the potential to finish a fight, and if not, you do a quick 1-2 and the other person shouldn't be able to stand after that.

I’m not reading all this, but did anyone post the video of Phoenix jones messing that dude up with leg kicks?

Kicking to the outside of the knee joint with a roundhouse will drop most people as the ligaments have a good chance at tearing. Once they buckle, tee off or round house their head/knee.

Jabs work significantly well on the nose,blur their eyes, snap their head back, etc.

Hey guys was just wondering a quick question. I just train boxing and kickboxing for exercise and fun but I of course train to help with self defense to. Now I'm not posting some stupid thread asking about how to fight against people with knifes/guns/ etc, and I know the best thing to do is run away. But if I was put in a position where I had to fight, how effective is a jab, and/or leg kicks/knees in a street fight?

Because in street fights it's usually a minute or so of just heavy power punches, and if I was attacked by an untrained person and he's obviously going to be coming at me with his home run overhand right, would it smarter to jab and move or just get in there and throw my power shots as well.

If anyone here has seen any fights that the jab or leg kicks/knees has helped, or just if they think it is most definitely worth it then please let me know.

Thanks

Broken my hand twice throwing automatic reaction jabs to the head on the street.
The second time while my hand was still in the cast from the first time.
Met the same guy twice in a week on the street.

<28>

Leg kicks though. I always throw those. You can stay balanced and best of all nobody ever expects or blocks those. I think of those as reminders.
The knees, elbows and open hands are for right then.
The low kicks are for later. Like for the next three days he'll be reminded of that he fked with someone every time he sits on the shitter or gets up from bed or uses his legs at all.
One time and one time only I started n ended a fight with it. Outside a club me n someone (obnoxious loud frat boy type white guy) get into it. He puts his hands up like a 1820s boxing star and I then gave him a winding low kick to the thigh.

Imagine if someone offered you a single night of debauchery with a prime Megan Fox if you kick this heavy bag full of feathers straight through. And you have all day to decide your approach and angle of attack. And the heavy bag full of feathers also has candy in it.
That's what I did. One giant step through, with my kicking leg probably starting from the back of my left shoulder. Oh, and I had just fought competitively like a week or so ago.
It went straight through him, his thigh and any misconceptions he had of this being a red panty night for him.
He got up, got back into position and his left leg was trembling while all he could say was "yeah.....yeah".
I told him we were done here and walked off. All the bouncers were like high fiving me back in the club.
Felt like Melvin Manhoef, Mark Hunt and Brad Pritt all rolled into one.

^this was over a decade ago though.
But yeah, knees, elbows n low kicks. And open hand strikes.

Seems a lot of people have never been jabbed right on the nose with bare knuckles before...

Seems like a lot of people have never missed a jab to the nose with their bare hands before.....

Why does it seem that?

Seems a lot of people have never been jabbed right on the nose with bare knuckles before...

I concur with Sinister. More than being super damaging, it's more the surprise of it all

Remember those old movies from the 80s and 90s when the little kid finally stands up to the bully and socks them one? In what I've seen, it's similar.. A stiff jab to the nose. A explosion of a bloody nose and surprise, some snot bubbles, seated on ass and finishing with "I want my mommy".

That's exactly the clip I've posted. And all during school every kid who got hit directly on the nose either one hard time, or two or more not so hard times didn't want to fight anymore.

We're talking *underhooks* now all of a sudden! Well that's definitely a topic i can get behind though, love me some underhooks in the clinch. Can't go wrong with them, great way to set up knees and uppercuts, especially if you can pin them against a wall or other surface.

People really should know better; didn't their mothers ever teach them to read the minds of their interlocutors, obviating the need to use crude words to express their specifications?

>see when i said 'that's where the knee or uppercut come in', what i meant was, pull out your sig and double tap him center mass, mozambique drill on the head, then come in with the knees and uppercuts, just to stay safe and make sure.

Ah except wait never mind, turns out we weren't talking about underhooks either, and in fact, it turns out we actually weren't talking about people shooting in for tackles at all in the first place! They just don't 'come up much' you know? Never mind that stuff earlier about people shooting in for panic tackling when they see themselves getting pieced up. It's all about those collar ties now.

And snap downs! Certainly no relation to sprawling in any way (and never mind how you go down into a front head lock with them in practice), as we know, snap downs are performed on someone standing in a more neutral posture! If you were to do it on someone who has already changed levels, it would be a down block! Ah hrm, except wait, you were talking about it in relation too 'a better option if someone shots low in a street fight'. A puzzle! Oh, but once again this just clearly demonstrates the superiority of being able to read each others minds.

Clearly, any impression of confused rhetorical ejaculations concerning dimly understood technical dynamics is naught but reader error!. Indeed, i fully agree! As i myself even mentioned earlier, guillotine chokes or related variations thereof are highly useful, and to get a guillotine choke on someone it's great to have snapdowns, a supremely useful wrinkle to have in ones gameplan; in the ring or in proving to the babes that you're the toughest speedo wearing motherfucker on the copa cabana beach.

Ah except wait never mind, forget all those times we said we weren't saying the things we said, turns out we were actually talking about all of these things, at once; in a sort of quantum super-position across time if you will, irrespective of whatever contingencies may be implied by the temporally successive record of our actual words. Such are not to be given any great weight, as we have demonstrated presently.

Alternately, it could be a case of someone gracelessly backtracking themselves, projecting and arguing deeper and deeper into a hole with each outing because they just gotta fire back for the sake of argument rather than finding a stool to step off their horse with, ultimately resorting to throwing anything and everything at the wall to see what sticks. 50/50 tossup either way id say.

You might have rejoined gracefully to the first post, and we could perhaps have had a nice conversation, acknowledging the validity of one point in relation to an earlier one, while bringing up an additional scenario or set of circumstances which could have implications on the topic.That's what we want right? Since all of us here are (presumably) enthusiasts of combat sports and martial arts in general. Or at least, a very brief one by acknowledging a point and simply leaving it at that. Or even not replying at all.

When you gave the impression that you were hallucinating and actually meant things you never said, i thought it was somewhat weird and impolite; a rather artless and uncouth method to save face in fact. I didn't want to 'pull the trigger' just like that though, and to be charitable i only highlighted it in a roundabout manner while giving you a potential out to take to save some honor.

Of course, you didn't take it, and proceeded to drive on heedlessly through the rockslide with yet another switch in argument track. Leaving us where we stand now, such as it is. Well, i am standing at least. Here's your reply.
you have obviously never bin scrapin'. as old mate said@j123 ya just gotta bang. i'm not reallly joking i have done every thing i claim.

That's exactly the clip I've posted. And all during school every kid who got hit directly on the nose either one hard time, or two or more not so hard times didn't want to fight anymore.
i got a problem with rackin' my punches. can i stop that without sacrificing power?

do

Of course, you didn't take it, and proceeded to drive on heedlessly through the rockslide with yet another switch in argument track. Leaving us where we stand now, such as it is. Well, i am standing at least. Here's your reply.[/QUOTE
all i got out of that is that you are a college educated cock, that nows fuck all of fighting.

Back