How effective is the jab or leg kicks/knees in real fight?

A good jab is only worthwhile if it's followed by a Suzie Q or whatever you call your "take it to the bank" shot. Personally, an open jab to the eyes can be useful if your speed and accuracy are there. You may get called a :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: for poking someone in the eyes, but it's usually the guy with the broken nose that's saying it.
If you're in a streetfight, things have already gone south enough to let the rulebook take a back seat.

Fuck fighting, I'm a lover (no homo).

Define "rackin'"
dropping hands before punching. i might be misusing the term though. the obvious answer would just be to keep the right on the chin before throwing it. i'm kinda worried about sacrificing power a bit.

you have obviously never bin scrapin'. as old mate said@j123 ya just gotta bang. i'm not reallly joking i have done every thing i claim.

You stressed out over an internet post for over half a month and then when you decide to hit the plunger to bring up old shit anyways, pinging me away from my very valuable Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forum browsing time, this is all you could produce for me to come back too?
Also don't be putting a mans name in your mouth in vain.

You stressed out over an internet post for over half a month and then when you decide to hit the plunger to bring up old shit anyways, pinging me away from my very valuable Sherdog Mixed Martial Arts Forum browsing time, that's all you come back with?
Also don't be putting a mans name in your mouth in vain.
clean forgot about it. i was just pissed and bored and felt like a bit of banter.

clean forgot about it. i was just pissed and bored and felt like a bit of banter.

la_noire__truth_doubt_lie__by_looselou-d8by48d.png

Im highly suspicious but since im in such a good mood i'll let you off with just a warning.

Note my post applies only to the situation in which a trained fighter is fighting an untrained fighter.

Many of these posts are surprisingly missing a very key variable: Size difference. It's very surprising that we all understand fight mechanics when in the ring but apparently not on the street, lol. If you're 5'6 130 lbs and you're fighting a guy whos 6'0 200lbs, there's no way you're clinching, even if you're a pro fighter. Clinching in general is a terrible strategy on the street unless you have a significant size advantage. In my scenario, the 200lb guy just picks you up and throws you, even if they have 0 fighting experience or training. I've clinched with my massive friends, even starting in the plum, and they will instinctively press against you and lift you and you're done.

If you're significantly smaller you need to strike at range because the larger guy will be slower, unable to use his range properly, and won't be able to strike as hard as you (and very telegraphed) so at that point its a game of chess grandmaster vs amateur. If you allow someone larger than you to use their strength you will almost always lose, despite technique being more important. That's why we have weight classes -- it's supposed to be a game of skill not a game of strength and size (in pro combat sports).

That video that @shincheckin posted shows almost every fight ending in a head kick -- id love to see a video of every fight where the hero goes for the headkick and either misses or is too close and gets dropped on their head. I bet there's a 10:1 ratio of such videos. Headkicks are generally not great in street fights.

In general street fights usually start either very close (face to face shit talking and shoving) in which case you can very quickly end it with 1 elbow (even if it's not a KO elbow, i don't see any untrained person not hurt so bad by a proper elbow that you can just tee off without regard). Elbow is also great if the "fight" starts as a shoving match. When they step in to shove you you connect with the elbow and its over.

If the fight starts from a distance and the person runs full speed at you I'd say the best technique is side step and throw a nasty kick as they turn around. I think landing 1 powerful thai kick in a street fight should be pretty much it as most people are not used to taking kicks with such power.

The key to LOSING a street fight as a trained fighter vs an untrained idiot is to either get hit while you're off balance or be put in a situation where the untrained fighter has a significant weight/size advantage (which doesn't actually take that much of a difference). I think both of these can be minimised fighting at your range, even if it's less than your opponents range.

Last edited:
If you don't have effective boxing or kicking boxing, then no throwing a jab or a leg kick probably isn't going to be a very good option. If you have effective striking skills then you could potentially beat the shit out of someone using only a jab or only a leg kick.

Even if you have little or no striking experience the best option would still be to throw straight 1,2's. Simple and directly to the target.

that's from an awesome game. I think i'll play it.
L.A. Noire is awesome, the best part is the faces they make when you have to tell if they're lying. At the easier stages, they look like they have a dildo up their ass and trying to hide it.

dropping hands before punching. i might be misusing the term though. the obvious answer would just be to keep the right on the chin before throwing it. i'm kinda worried about sacrificing power a bit.

Eh, it's not so much about power as defensive liability, before every punch you show an opening. Power doesn't come from the height of your hand. Just gotta keep those elbows close to your torso.

Hey guys was just wondering a quick question. I just train boxing and kickboxing for exercise and fun but I of course train to help with self defense to. Now I'm not posting some stupid thread asking about how to fight against people with knifes/guns/ etc, and I know the best thing to do is run away. But if I was put in a position where I had to fight, how effective is a jab, and/or leg kicks/knees in a street fight?

Because in street fights it's usually a minute or so of just heavy power punches, and if I was attacked by an untrained person and he's obviously going to be coming at me with his home run overhand right, would it smarter to jab and move or just get in there and throw my power shots as well.

If anyone here has seen any fights that the jab or leg kicks/knees has helped, or just if they think it is most definitely worth it then please let me know.

Thanks

Back