How exactly does training in striking make you a better fighter?

ADAMANT_

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I realize the title of this thread may seem contradictory, but it's something I'm a bit sceptical about--let me explain. When you see someone training in striking, it seems the majority of the work involved includes hitting a heavy bag or pads, as well as being advised as to the proper form of landing the strikes. I'm just not sure how this activity, even if done in a consistent routine for a long period of time, can really give you an upper hand in fighting ability. Sure, you are being taught how to strike with proper form, but how would that really make a significant difference compared to a strike you would've thrown without any prior striking training? To simplify what I'm saying, I just can't really see how hitting a stationary object for long periods of time (even with "proper form") can make that much of a difference in how you fight. So, taking my misgivings about it into account, what is the purpose of training in striking?

How does shooting a pistol 100000 times at small objects give you a leg up on a knob thats never held a gun in a gunfight?

Someone wasteland this stupid thread.

I realize the title of this thread may seem contradictory, but it's something I'm a bit sceptical about--let me explain. When you see someone training in striking, it seems the majority of the work involved includes hitting a heavy bag or pads, as well as being advised as to the proper form of landing the strikes. I'm just not sure how this activity, even if done in a consistent routine for a long period of time, can really give you an upper hand in fighting ability. Sure, you are being taught how to strike with proper form, but how would that really make a significant difference compared to a strike you would've thrown without any prior striking training? To simplify what I'm saying, I just can't really see how hitting a stationary object for long periods of time (even with "proper form") can make that much of a difference in how you fight. So, taking my misgivings about it into account, what is the purpose of training in striking?

If all you ever do is hit a bag and don't do any sparring then probably won't benefit you much.

Sparring then supplementing bag work, pad work, shadow boxing even after a year is night and day difference then your average joe in a street fight.

G95HgFB.gif

ZERO TRAINING

Lol GTFO

If all you ever do is hit a bag and don't do any sparring then probably won't benefit you much.

Sparring then supplementing bag work, pad work, shadow boxing even after a year is night and day difference then your average joe in a street fight.

I thought all the responses were going to be like the first couple. Thanks for taking the time to answer the question. I know it can seem like a stupid question to someone who's already been training and has seen the positive results from doing such, but from the point of view of someone who hasn't, it's obviously a different perspective.

Do you always call for someone to "wasteland" a thread when you lack an intelligible answer to the OP's query?

If you don't understand how training fighting technique can make you a better fighter then I don't know what to tell you.

Why do you think athletes do drills in any sport they partake in? Repetition builds comfort and the ability to quickly execute an action, efficiently, without a second thought. Also punching a heavy bag builds helps you hit harder.

Do you need me to further explain why that would give you an advantage over a person who isn't experienced striking or can you at least figure that out from what I said?

And yes, your question was stupid.

Last edited:
"How does practicing something make you good at it"?
Lol im sorry dude, but there is a such thing as a stupid question.
Guy that knows how to punch > Guy that doesn't know how to punch
<36>

"How does practicing something make you good at it"?
Lol im sorry dude, but there is a such thing as a stupid question.
Guy that knows how to punch > Guy that doesn't know how to punch
<36>

There are no stupid questions , only stupid people.

being able to avoid a punch and counter with a punch helps in a fist fight.....I know... I know...sounds crazy...but trust me it works.

The most important aspect of those repetitive exercises is to condition yourself to be extremely comfortable unloading a shot. Almost becoming a reflex like motion.
So whether in competion or a real life fight, you can swing with ease and your punches will be second nature.

Proper striking, practicing defense and sparring is what makes you a better fighter.

So to your point, just hitting bag isn't going to cut it... But still an important part of the process.

There are no stupid questions , only stupid people.

It's actually neither a stupid question nor a stupid person asking it; if some of you on here were able to escape your self-induced enslavement of close-mindedness, you would realize why it's perfectly rational for someone new to this type of thing would presume striking a stationary object is much different to trying to strike a moving, live being with a functioning mind of its own.

Anyhow, thanks to those who gave answers explaining the reasoning behind why doing such will make you better at fighting.

I think the most important factors are learning proper form reduces the chance of breaking your hands/feet when you strike, and sparring gets you used to not flinching and to the adrenaline rush so you can keep more calm

It builds technique.

For example. My hooks used to be terrible. No power, and the felt awkward throwing them. Few months later, using mainly shadowboxing and a heavy bag my hooks improved vastly. They became fast and powerful, this improved me as a fighter because now I have a left and a right hook that can actually land and hurt someone when before, the likely wouldn't have. Now sparring obviously helps learning to apply the technique and will help improve you much more. But practicing the moves on a stationary object to improve the technique, will also make you a better fighter.

Back