How far would prime Roy Jones. Jr have come in this era?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by Ilovepizza, Apr 19, 2018.

1. nastyleft

nastyleft Brown Belt

2. Paolo Delutis

Paolo Delutis Brown Belt

Or slur and make random bird like screeching sounds..all of which is clearily needed to make "hits" now

3. Old Cat

Old Cat Gold Belt

Pretty much.

I love Dre. Dude is as smart, tough and emotionally stable a fighter you will see. I think he would find away to make it to the final bell, he is that fierce a competitor, but he wouldn’t win. Roy is a different type of Cat.

It’s just not fair comparing Roy to most of the other fighters. He was freeky gifted in so many areas. The easy ones to see are the physical gifts but his ring IQ was off the charts. It’s been fashionable of late to down play Roy’s place in the sport. The line goes something like he had no fundamentals, he was technically flawed etc. Yes, he often used unorthodox moves but most people miss the high level chess he was employing, thinking several steps ahead of his opponent to get them in a comprised positions. He would pull off traps only someone with his physical gifts could, at his peek his opponents just couldn’t adjust. How could they? It ain’t fair but life ain’t fair.

I can’t think of any man from 160-175 that I would favor over Roy, nobody.

Oh. The original question. He smokes fools in any era.

Gregoire1, Sano, Mr.Maelstrom and 5 others like this.
  4. CastletonSnob

CastletonSnob Blue Belt

Could Roy win a title at HW?

5. treelo

treelo Black Belt

Not with Wilder and Joshua holding the titles, it would stop at the current CWs

6. Flboycanscrap2

Flboycanscrap2 Purple Belt

No one beats Prime Roy. Prime Roy is a borderline God. Lol. Y'all must've forgot.

7. Old Cat

Old Cat Gold Belt

Naw.. size matters at some point and the boys currently on top are giants.

8. ironfist05

ironfist05 Silver Belt

well, manuel charr holds the WBA regular title. if you count that then RJJ could win that.

9. ironfist05

ironfist05 Silver Belt

Bivol is the LHW I give hte best shot to at beating peak RJJ. Even then, I give him like a 1% chance.

10. Large Hound 77

Large Hound 77 Purple Belt

I don't see his success being any less. I would love to watch prime Jones v Ward. He would deal with pretty much all MW/SMW/LHW these days.

11. Cross_Trainer

Cross_Trainer Yellow Belt

What training advances in the last 20 years happened that would allow modern fighters to beat Roy?

He was already working with Mackie Shilstone to bulk up to heavy, and Shilstone's blueprint apparently goes back to the 80s with Spinks. I think Shilstone's still one of the leading experts in strength & conditioning training for boxing.

Boxing has also been professionalized for a lot longer than MMA, and they've had a long time to work the bugs out of their training methods. So I don't think the sport has evolved in leaps and bounds in terms of technical training.

And Roy's main assets were Matrix reflexes and fight IQ; it's not like he relied on superior S&C to a massive degree.

Most likely a young 2018 Roy gets the 2020 gold medal he was cheated out of during his own time, and does about as well as he did back then as a pro.

12. Brock-B-level-Athlete

Brock-B-level-Athlete Double Yellow Card Double Yellow Card

<{Joewithit}>
    [​IMG]

ironfist05 likes this.
  13. PHATV

PHATV WHITEBELT Platinum Member

Man, I don't know. Prime RJJ and these guys? They are huge, but I'm not sure Joshua, Wilder or Fury can lay a glove on prime RJJ. Certainly not a clean shot.

Footwork, defensive movement he had, pure athleticism. I'd like to see it. I know who I would bet on.

14. FightGuyOpenMind

FightGuyOpenMind Purple Belt

At what weight? I think if he doesn't try to go up, and down in weight he'll dominate. Weight change affects the body, and takes a toll. I imagine it must also take some time adjusting to the style, punch power, speed, and pace of the fight at different weights. If he focuses on being close to his natural weight, I think he'd be great all over again.

15. PHATV

PHATV WHITEBELT Platinum Member

He was prime from 150 to HW, or damn-near prime. Until 2004. The whole damn way. So I'd say anywhere in there. I think the only debatable point is HW. These guys are big. He beats prime Ward handily on the cards, I think. And any of the current cruisers. Roy was special (not that Ward wasn't too, but...).

Y'all musta forgot! lol

FightGuyOpenMind likes this.
  16. FightGuyOpenMind

FightGuyOpenMind Purple Belt

I agree. I would love to see Jones/Ward in their primes... Flash v Fundamentals. Not to doubt his greatness but I think RJJ would be at too much of a height disadvantage in today's HW division. He took the belt from a 6'2 John Ruiz. Could he beat a 6'6-6'9 standout HW in a Fury, Joshua, or Wilder? We will never know. However, he was literally pound for pound the greatest when he did it.

17. Brock-B-level-Athlete

why was/is Roy Jones jr. so special?

i never liked him.

18. Brock-B-level-Athlete

maybe Im underestimating him ... educate me

19. Mysterio

Mysterio Banned Banned

He would mow them down.

20. BusterKeaton

BusterKeaton Green Belt

Prime Jones would've beat a prime Kovalev.
    Before anyone chimes in and says early KO, a prime Kovalev didn't get an early ko on pascal and jones can do everything Pascal does but way better. Kovalev has a lot of tells and Jones knew that the best.