How fast was prime Fedor?

He's very fast for his size, but it's made more effective by the fact that he doesn't do any setups.

Fedor was always a wrestler, who used very effective striking to get close for the takedown..he could still ko you with strikes, but his bread and butter was grappling, ground and pound and submissions...but he has evolved into a pure striker...he can still catch guys, like he did with Mir and sonnen...but he has shown that his chin isn't what it used to be...he gets hit far more than he used to...go watch his fights in pride, he rarely if ever got hit..he was super fast...he could be in on you in a heart beat and get you down...now, his grappling game is no where to be found...not really sure why he completely abandoned it though...maybe he no longer has the cardio for it...maybe he's severely shook from the werdum fight...who knows exactly why.

Brother... have you ever played sports or trained at a high level?

I'm a 39 year old athlete. I've always been a gym-rat and involved in TMAs. I went on to train MMA religiously between 2007 and 2013. I'm still an avid strength & conditioning enthusiast. I was incredibly fast, strong and explosive.

I'm still in good shape and train all the time (gym, no more MMA)... but Jesus Christ... I can barely get down on my knees. And my knees and back ALWAYS hurt. My left shoulder aches periodically. And I don't have anything approaching the mileage that Fedor has. I started a very steep physical decline at 35. I have nowhere near the speed, reflexes, balance, dynamism of movement or physical control that I used to have. The only thing I have left is raw Ogre-power and some residual quickness. It makes sense to me that after all the years in Judo, Sambo and MMA, Fedor peaked at 25-27 and started a rapid decline at 30-31.

I completely understand why Fedor has become increasingly uni-dimensional as he aged. Josh Barnett talks about his own experience in that regard quite eloquently in one of his last 2 appearances on Joe Rogan's podcast. He basically said you have an ever diminishing number of tools in your box as you get older and you have to adapt the way you train and compete as a result.

When Fedor was in his physical prime, with the ready availability of his entire arsenal, he was the most dangerous fighter alive.

As quick as a cat but slower than a rabbit but quicker than a dog.

I'm a 39 year old athlete. I've always been a gym-rat and involved in TMAs. I went on to train MMA religiously between 2007 and 2013. I'm still an avid strength & conditioning enthusiast. I was incredibly fast, strong and explosive.

I'm still in good shape and train all the time (gym, no more MMA)... but Jesus Christ... I can barely get down on my knees. And my knees and back ALWAYS hurt. My left shoulder aches periodically. And I don't have anything approaching the mileage that Fedor has. I started a very steep physical decline at 35. I have nowhere near the speed, reflexes, balance, or dynamism of movement that I used to have. The only thing I have left is raw Ogre-power. It makes sense to me that after all the years in Judo, Sambo and MMA, that Fedor peaked at 25-27 and started a rapid decline at 30-31.

I completely understand why Fedor has become increasingly uni-dimensional as he aged. Josh Barnett talks about his own experience in that regard quite eloquently in one of his last 2 appearances on Joe Rogan's podcast. You have an ever diminishing number of tools in your box as you get older.

When Fedor was in his physical prime, with the ready availability of his entire arsenal, he was the most dangerous fighter alive.

It tends to happen with most fighters too, Cro Cop, Rampage and Wanderlei all became way less dynamic as they aged. Wanderlei and Rampage in their primes would actually go for takedowns, Wanderlei threw jabs, kicks and knees as well and Rampage would use knees too and takedowns a lot more. Cro Cop would kick a lot more to the legs body and head, Liddell also kicked more before his body wore out. Grappling destroys the body like nothing else, especially knees, backs, and shoulders.

It tends to happen with most fighters too, Cro Cop, Rampage and Wanderlei all became way less dynamic as they aged. Wanderlei and Rampage in their primes would actually go for takedowns, Wanderlei threw jabs, kicks and knees as well and Rampage would use knees too and takedowns a lot more. Cro Cop would kick a lot more to the legs body and head, Liddell also kicked more before his body wore out. Grappling destroys the body like nothing else, especially knees, backs, and shoulders.

Preach brother. Nail on the head.

Fedor is a top three heavyweight in the world right now, so he's still fast.

I'm still in good shape and train all the time (gym, no more MMA)... but Jesus Christ... I can barely get down on my knees. And my knees and back ALWAYS hurt. My left shoulder aches periodically. And I don't have anything approaching the mileage that Fedor has. I started a very steep physical decline at 35. I have nowhere near the speed, reflexes, balance, dynamism of movement or physical control that I used to have. The only thing I have left is raw Ogre-power and some residual quickness. It makes sense to me that after all the years in Judo, Sambo and MMA, Fedor peaked at 25-27 and started a rapid decline at 30-31.

I completely understand why Fedor has become increasingly uni-dimensional as he aged. Josh Barnett talks about his own experience in that regard quite eloquently in one of his last 2 appearances on Joe Rogan's podcast. He basically said you have an ever diminishing number of tools in your box as you get older and you have to adapt the way you train and compete as a result.

Sorry to say you going downhill physically at 35 is very very bad genetics...there is no way on earth a man should be going down hill at only 35..you should be at your peak or pretty close to it at that point...many world champions have been much older than that...fighting at the highest level. only times that is true, is when a guy hits that age, other things take over their life...a wife, kids, much more stress..they don't have the same amount of time train...or maybe you need some TRT...but one persons 35 is another persons 55...there are guys that are just as fit, strong, active at 55, than they were at 30..I know some...barring injuries, losing skills, is cause a lack of training or desire to train...as you get older, you don't have that same desire...I'm an avid bodybuilder and weight trainer...awhile back this guy I haven't seen in awhile asked me "dude, did you stop lifting" which is like a knife in the heart...but it made me re examine my workouts...i wasn't lifting as intensely anymore...or as heavy...you get comfortable and you go backwards...once I revved my training back up again, the gains started coming again.

Fast by MMA standards, nothing special by boxing standards. He was a great athlete in his prime and it made his striking and sambo terrifying. Now he looks so sloppy because his body doesn't transition from one movement to the next like it used to. His explosiveness really covered a lot of technical lapses.

Very fast for a Heavyweight. But not quite mike tyson fast..

Cain was also very fast before many injuries

ITT: People posting gifs of Fedor going "LIGHTNING FAST!!!! FASTEST HANDS EVER!!!" and the gifs show a faster-than-average-for-HW-but-nothing-special punches.

iFNwQWx.gif

7fA8E1q.gif

brVUVbC.gif

1kPPy2D.gif

q69msia.gif

fedor_angry.gif

tumblr_ncjixbAly01ry1rm7o1_400.gif

1c01342e-468a-4f45-b1d1-391b48ed0797

Casuals just dont understand the speed that fedor used to produce.

WOW-Fedor.gif

Loving all the respect Fedor is getting in this thread.

As already stated, fast af.

Tim is underated as fuck. Boring. Yes. But that was a hard fight that was made out to be a squash match after the fact.

Well at the time a lot of people thought he would give fedor problems with his jab(lol), while some fans (rightfully so) thought fedor would win by sub....I’m not saying timmah was garbage, there was a time when he was a legitimately respectable hw, problem was his style was horrific against someone like fedor and it played out just like it should had... heck fedor was laughing about that fight

I always saw Fedor as being not necessarily the hardest puncher, but instead being extremely smart, fast, and accurate. His KO's and knockdowns usually came from perfect timing (Rogers) or perfect placement against guys with bad chins (Arlovski). He also knew exactly where to place his stuff to finish Tim Sylvia quickly.

Back