How fast was prime Fedor?

Sorry to say you going downhill physically at 35 is very very bad genetics...there is no way on earth a man should be going down hill at only 35..you should be at your peak or pretty close to it at that point...many world champions have been much older than that...fighting at the highest level. only times that is true, is when a guy hits that age, other things take over their life...a wife, kids, much more stress..they don't have the same amount of time train...or maybe you need some TRT...but one persons 35 is another persons 55...there are guys that are just as fit, strong, active at 55, than they were at 30..I know some...barring injuries, losing skills, is cause a lack of training or desire to train...as you get older, you don't have that same desire...I'm an avid bodybuilder and weight trainer...awhile back this guy I haven't seen in awhile asked me "dude, did you stop lifting" which is like a knife in the heart...but it made me re examine my workouts...i wasn't lifting as intensely anymore...or as heavy...you get comfortable and you go backwards...once I revved my training back up again, the gains started coming again.

Everything about your commentary suggests you did not read my post within the proper context, or understand what I’m saying.

This is also consistent with your original query regarding Fedor.

Everything about your commentary suggests you did not read my post within the proper context, or understand what I’m saying.

This is also consistent with your original query regarding Fedor.

Everything I said about fedor was spot on...I merely pointed out how he fights now...and the things he no longer does...I only speculated as to why he no longer grapples...but nobody really knows unless someone asks him and he is honest with the answer.

In his prime he beat Usain Bolt in a sprint and he ran backwards. True story.

3 power shots in 1 sec.

TerrificDiscreteGreathornedowl-size_restricted.gif

Everyone was surprised when Fedor started to dominate in the standup in his fight with prime Cro Cop.

I also think that Fedors unorthodox punching style camoflauges his intent a bit and that combined with his physique and natural speed makes him very dangerous.

Probably his biggest strength honestly,he was quick af,not just for a hw

Crazy how a lot of mma fans and pundits had fedor loosing that fight ....

at the time the fight was about to happen, i woulda never guessed fedor would stand with him for most of the fight
i also wouldnt have guessed fedor would outstrike him there
insane strategy to me, but very impressive

People greatly overstate the decline in Fedor's game just so they can mythicize how great he used to be

He's still great. For the last couple years, the people saying he sucks are the ones who claim to be his fans. MMA fans will say whatever they can to make sure their favorites are great and the guys they don't like were never as good.

Fast relative to the other UFC HWs, but definitely overrated. Chael isn't really a good measure of speed either, he's a slow bloated out MW and 40 himself.

Chael Sonnen thought he would have a speed advantage on him, but afterwards, he described FEdor as the very very fast guy. He wasn't sure if he was fast, or fast for a heavyweight, and thought he'd have a speed advantage, but he didn't see his punches coming.

However, we all know that Fedor slowed down as he aged. His trainers I think even mentioned that too. But, Chael Sonnen who fought middleweights before is commenting on Fedor's speed at age 42. I think it's really hard to tell how fast someone is really just by watching the video tapes, but he must have been lightening fast period in his peak prime.

And speed kills. People talk like Fedor is a striker, but he is a grappler that trained since young in Judo and Sambo. I wonder how fast he really was. I always thought Crocop was fast, but I think in an interview, I think, I could be remembering it wrong, but Nogueria thought Fedor was the fast one, even compared to Crocop.

I am not sure like some people who think Fedor could have cut to the middleweight. He was like well built in his prime and pretty thick. But o n the flipside of that is, as you could see it with Chael Sonnen, there are middleweights who aren't much smaller than Fedor, and many light heavyweights like Bader who is probably equal to if not bigger than Fedor.
Different perspective (& Schall knew he was going for the armbar):

@ 6mn35

Brother... have you ever played sports or trained at a high level?

I'm a 39 year old athlete. I've always been a gym-rat and involved in TMAs. I went on to train MMA religiously between 2007 and 2013. I'm still an avid strength & conditioning enthusiast. I was incredibly fast, strong and explosive.

I'm still in good shape and train all the time (gym, no more MMA)... but Jesus Christ... I can barely get down on my knees. And my knees and back ALWAYS hurt. My left shoulder aches periodically. And I don't have anything approaching the mileage that Fedor has. I started a very steep physical decline at 35. I have nowhere near the speed, reflexes, balance, dynamism of movement or physical control that I used to have. The only thing I have left is raw Ogre-power and some residual quickness. It makes sense to me that after all the years in Judo, Sambo and MMA, Fedor peaked at 25-27 and started a rapid decline at 30-31.

I completely understand why Fedor has become increasingly uni-dimensional as he aged. Josh Barnett talks about his own experience in that regard quite eloquently in one of his last 2 appearances on Joe Rogan's podcast. He basically said you have an ever diminishing number of tools in your box as you get older and you have to adapt the way you train and compete as a result.

When Fedor was in his physical prime, with the ready availability of his entire arsenal, he was the most dangerous fighter alive.
interesting stuff

thanks for posting

Fedor was always a wrestler, who used very effective striking to get close for the takedown..he could still ko you with strikes, but his bread and butter was grappling, ground and pound and submissions...but he has evolved into a pure striker...he can still catch guys, like he did with Mir and sonnen...but he has shown that his chin isn't what it used to be...he gets hit far more than he used to...go watch his fights in pride, he rarely if ever got hit..he was super fast...he could be in on you in a heart beat and get you down...now, his grappling game is no where to be found...not really sure why he completely abandoned it though...maybe he no longer has the cardio for it...maybe he's severely shook from the werdum fight...who knows exactly why.

Fedors fighting style was honed first obviously in judo and sambo but then really in RINGS is where you seen fedors striking and gnp grow and evolve for mma.In PRIDE he had his game down already and confidence in himself as you see the way he attacks his opponents in their strongest discipline.He didnt need to grapple you cuz your a good striker or vice versa he would just beat you in every aspect of the game.

Fedor didn't EVOLVE into a striker he DEVOLVED....

Fedor always had fast powerful striking but what made it even better was his clinch and takedown game.Once he just started standing guys weren't worried about the takedown so they began countering him easier or atleast able to time him better.

Fedor has tons of miles on his body and has had knee,shoulder, and back issues that have lingered and left him much less mobile then he once was.Its much less taxing to only stand and bang and he was able to do that for a few years,but after neglecting his ground game his cardio for grappling is lacking as seen in the chael fight.

Fedor has never stopped grappling during training but he hasn't seriously implemented it in game planning until the chael fight for mostly defensive purposes.Fedors gameplan for mitrione was to submit him,Frank mir fight he did grappling but wanted to ko him.After beating Mir fedor got the push to make a serious effort to become hw champ which led to his return to a heavier grappling regiment.

You seen him come in lighter and in good mental state and his legs were in good shape too.Fedor still gassed after alot if explosive grappling defenses and strikes thrown but it was good to see him being ready in all aspects.

He needs definite cardio work but for a 42 yr old guy not even having full uninterrupted camps I'm happy he is motivated.Bader will beat him but it will be cool to see fedor in a hw championship bout yet again.

Crazy how a lot of mma fans and pundits had fedor loosing that fight ....

Too many ppl were buying into how big sylvia was and thought his reach would be a huge factor...

Turned out.....not so much

I had SOOOOOOOO much fun the next day on ufc.com tho haha.

I'm in the camp of nuthuggers that believes prime Fedor would have fucked Jon Jones up pretty badly.

I remember that. People were saying that Fedor is shit because Arlovski kept tagging him but when you watched the gifs almost none of the shots ever landed. It was really some Matrix stuff. I would say that the slowing down had started prior to that and his absolute peak was around 05. Still fast today though.
Oh the good ol days people would argue about the events of the fight instead of the trash talk and ppvs

Sorry to say you going downhill physically at 35 is very very bad genetics...there is no way on earth a man should be going down hill at only 35..you should be at your peak or pretty close to it at that point..

This is so factually incorrect it's hilarious. An athletes prime is his early-mid 20's. By the time you hit 28-29 you are already declining. At 35+ you are basically done/running out the clock. It has been studied in depth.

The average age of an Olympic champion is 23 years old. You think all the 35 year olds that are supposedly "in their prime" are just letting the kids win? lol.

This is so factually incorrect it's hilarious. An athletes prime is his early-mid 20's. By the time you hit 28-29 you are already declining. At 35+ you are basically done/running out the clock. It has been studied in depth.

The average age of an Olympic champion is 23 years old. You think all the 35 year olds that are supposedly "in their prime" are just letting the kids win? lol.

Physical peak maybe but MMA isn't like being an NFL running back or something, it takes longer to pick up skills in different areas of the game and the vast majority of MMA fighters continue to get more and more skilled till they hit around 30ish. Some keep getting more well rounded as they get passed 30-34ish but they are the exceptions, most fighters start becoming more one dimentional at that point.

Back