How good is Brian Ortega?

Combat Wombatt

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
If he gets a title shot next do you think he'll win? Do you think he'll lose but eventually win the FW belt someday?

Guy's got talent but his stand up needs some work and he was fighting a shorter Cub Swanson last night which is perfect for the guillotine he used on Cub, it could be different against a taller fighter.

I became a fan of the guy last night, really humble, seemed polite, and just deadly fast with his submission game, no 4 mins of grappling before he slaps the sub on. Reminded me of a Rousimar Palhares who would throw those leg locks on and it was almost always immediately over.

He can sub anyone in the division.

If he continues to evolve his striking, he can definitely become champ.

He's very good.

And barely hitting his prime.

His style is maxs worst nightmare.

in his weight-cutting prime so the sky is the limit

He is really good on the ground, and average on the feet.

he already said he'd like to wait to face the winner of Max vs Frankie.

It´s so nice to see a young man like him with such a great bjj finishing all his fights.

And he´s very humble too, in his post fight interview yesterday I became an even bigger fan.

The only thing that counts against him, is that he popped for roids right in the beginning of his career (his 1st UFC fight), so anything he does now people will raise doubts.

No threat to Conor, but he’s ok.
Of course he isn't a threat. McGregor ran away from FW a long time ago. Why would you even mention a guy who isn't a FW and is apparently retired from MMA and is now a boxer?

If he gets a title shot next do you think he'll win? Do you think he'll lose but eventually win the FW belt someday?

Guy's got talent but his stand up needs some work and he was fighting a shorter Cub Swanson last night which is perfect for the guillotine he used on Cub, it could be different against a taller fighter.

I became a fan of the guy last night, really humble, seemed polite, and just deadly fast with his submission game, no 4 mins of grappling before he slaps the sub on. Reminded me of a Rousimar Palhares who would throw those leg locks on and it was almost always immediately over.
He's got deadly BJJ, but he'll have trouble with guys that are great on the feet and have high level TDD.

Of course he isn't a threat. McGregor ran away from FW a long time ago. Why would you even mention a guy who isn't a FW and is apparently retired from MMA and is now a boxer?
You can’t mention FW without bringing up Conor. That whole division lives in his shadow. He owns that division, just like he owns LW. And like he owns boxing too.

It sucks that Swanson was ranked so. high because it sets an expectation. He's 26. I know it's not gonna happen but I'd like to see him take another mid rank guy, then maybe a top 3 fighter that gets him a shot should be win. Maybe the winner of Lamas/Emmett next.

His BJJ is a level above all others in the MMA world. Cub is a Rigan Machado BJJ BB and showed he is no match for the younger, slicker Brian Ortega. Rener Gracie is a smart, smart man and will do everything to find Ortega the best stand up skills and coaches to train him as his MMA evolves. More importantly, this kid knows how to win! Also, on a side note his show money + win bonus+ FOTN and SOTN will make him very comfortable in the financial world to invest in the best of additional coaches and training partners going forward.

He's very good and seems to be dangerous no matter how he's doing on the scorecards. Obviously he has amazing submissions but he's got a few knockouts too.

Not sure if I'd favour him against Holloway or Edgar, but I'm confident he beats everyone else.

super good. brian "omega" ortega ...

he's a very dangerous dude. he'd get outclassed on the feet but a bunch of guys, but even against swanson he didnt look like a fish out of water despite being beaten decisively in the striking.

You can’t mention FW without bringing up Conor. That whole division lives in his shadow. He owns that division, just like he owns LW. And like he owns boxing too.
When McG talks like he is Ric Flair it is at least a character he uses to sell himself. When you and the other McNuggets do it, it is really sad and pathetic.

Guy needs to be feared. Not a clinch, take you down, advance position, then attempt the sub type fighter.

As soon as he sees an opening he's going for the sub.

He's tough with really good grappling. Probably won't be enough against Max or Frankie since they're better strikers who can avoid subs.

But it's good for him FW is in a transition period where it's easier to get a title shot, or stay close to it. No more Mendes and Conor beating up contenders, while Aldo's days at the top could be numbered, and Lamas is 35. More open.

Back