How good is Brian Ortega?

Ortega will not be the next featherweight champion, unlike a gatekeepers such as Cub Swanson, Max Holloway is a great champion who can adapt his game to any style. He won't expose his neck to Ortega, and Ortega is too one-dimensional to win a fight with his best weapon taken away.

Ortega will not be the next featherweight champion, unlike a gatekeepers such as Cub Swanson, Max Holloway is a great champion who can adapt his game to any style. He won't expose his neck to Ortega, and Ortega is too one-dimensional to win a fight with his best weapon taken away.

Ortega is still young, he's got plenty of time to improve.

Stop holding bitterness deep in your bum soul ye
tenor.gif

No threat to Conor, but he’s ok.

This is funny because one must infer that you think Conor will still be LW champion when Ortega is considered the next title contender.

From what I've seen last night, his striking defence looks pretty good, covering in the pocket, attempting subs in the clinch, very nice. And as some said, that's dangerous for a guy like Holloway, Max loves to unleash when he smells blood, Brian could defend, try to clinch and pull a choke.

If he had elite striking or elite take downs I would see potential for him to be a dominant champ. Doubt he will achieve either at this point though.

Incredible submission game, good cardio, solid chin, and is very composed when facing adversity. Not championship level yet, but he has alot of potential.

Ortega is still young, he's got plenty of time to improve.
True, but he's not younger than Holloway. If Max can continue making 145 and be healthy, it is hard to say its a matter of time before Ortega catches up to him.

His BJJ is a level above all others in the MMA world. Cub is a Rigan Machado BJJ BB and showed he is no match for the younger, slicker Brian Ortega. Rener Gracie is a smart, smart man and will do everything to find Ortega the best stand up skills and coaches to train him as his MMA evolves. More importantly, this kid knows how to win! Also, on a side note his show money + win bonus+ FOTN and SOTN will make him very comfortable in the financial world to invest in the best of additional coaches and training partners going forward.
Kron?

If his opponent manages to not get subbed, he gets schooled on the feet.
I'm glad this hypetrain will be over soon

He's really talented. His submissions are scary good and he obviously has a very solid chin. I would like him to improve his striking defense at least, he takes way too much punishment.

his striking defence looks pretty good
His boxing defence has some holes due to difference between MMA and boxing gloves. He gets nailed by straight punches, but he definitely seems to be good at avoiding dangerous punches (he has great spatial awareness).

Plus he is HUGE for a fighter in his division.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
notnormal
Back