How good was Blake "Blade" Lirette?

He was a top local level talent with a passion for self marketing. That's it.

Nice guy.

Never heard of him

never heard of him

Never heard of him.

Nobody likes a smartass!

He was a top local level talent with a passion for self marketing. That's it.

Nice guy.

You met him before?

What was he like?

Heard of him..i have not

View attachment 407749

Him of heard never.

Nobody likes a smartass!

I think the biggest shocker here is calling Raymond Daniel's an international star. Coming from an American, don't believe when we hype up an American guy unless he has done something worth talking about. And American kickboxing in some chuck Norris league is not something.

You met him before?

What was he like?

Really nice and respectful guy. I fought on his undercard a few times.

A good local talent that could put bums in seats. I always thought he had a good eye for self marketing. Flashy style. Taekwondo background or something. A fun vibe.
I think he was / is involved in movies as a stuntman. I think one major movie even uses one of his fight events (fake) as a backdrop for a caper. Ocean 11's style. Can’t remember which movie though.
In this day and age of Instagram and Snapchat, he could’ve made some serious cheddar.

Can’t say I’ve ever heard / seen anything negative about him though.

Why you asking ?

Really nice and respectful guy. I fought on his undercard a few times.

A good local talent that could put bums in seats. I always thought he had a good eye for self marketing. Flashy style. Taekwondo background or something. A fun vibe.
I think he was / is involved in movies as a stuntman. I think one major movie even uses one of his fight events (fake) as a backdrop for a caper. Ocean 11's style. Can’t remember which movie though.
In this day and age of Instagram and Snapchat, he could’ve made some serious cheddar.

Can’t say I’ve ever heard / seen anything negative about him though.

Why you asking ?

Thanks for reply, his background is Karate Kickboxing. Being a teen in the early 2000s, he was our pop culture hero. I always admired him and he seemed like a great guy. I would have trained with him years ago but people surrounding him at the time were friends with folks who made my life miserable.

I thought about him recently because I see that he is teaching MMA and striking for the MMA. I saw a recent video and honestly, he seems really like a nice dude.

I always remember these promos:

You are right, he would have cleaned house with social media if he was an up and comer now. Great to hear it, I might hit him up for sure.

Looks like a good local talent.

And world titles in kickboxing hold no value at all. There are literally 100's of kickboxing organizations...

I've been looking at this post for years but I never knew how to make an account on this forum, here's all I know about him up until now.
My mom used to train at champions where he teached, and she said he is a very very nice guy. She also said his kicks were killer, and he had alot of stamina. She saw one of his fights, so I guess she would know how good he was. He made such a big impression that my mom decided to name me after him.
When I was about 10 my mother told me how she got my name, and she showed me some videos of him fighting. I thought of him as my hero, and I wanted to do muay thai/kickboxing from then on. I told her I wanted to meet him when I got older aswell.
3 years later I moved and then tried out a couple dojos before I found his, Coquitlam Martial Arts. I went to a trial class and immediately liked it, to my suprise he was the one teaching. Of course he was strict but he was still as nice as my mom said he was.
I've been going to his classes for more than 6 months and I want to get more serious with muay thai/kickboxing, I've never seen him fight since he's long retired but he is still able to do handstands and still has good power kicks. He is a great teacher and has made me like MMA even more.
I am about 14 now, and his classes are still great. Haven't been there for about a month now because of transportation issues but trying to make it work. He inspires others alot, and after his classes he gives us advice to become better people and stuff like that.
This post is long but ive been meaning to share my experience, the others who say he is overrated and not talented have only ever seen him fight in very low quality videos. He's a good dude.

I've been looking at this post for years but I never knew how to make an account on this forum, here's all I know about him up until now.
My mom used to train at champions where he teached, and she said he is a very very nice guy. She also said his kicks were killer, and he had alot of stamina. She saw one of his fights, so I guess she would know how good he was. He made such a big impression that my mom decided to name me after him.
When I was about 10 my mother told me how she got my name, and she showed me some videos of him fighting. I thought of him as my hero, and I wanted to do muay thai/kickboxing from then on. I told her I wanted to meet him when I got older aswell.
3 years later I moved and then tried out a couple dojos before I found his, Coquitlam Martial Arts. I went to a trial class and immediately liked it, to my suprise he was the one teaching. Of course he was strict but he was still as nice as my mom said he was.
I've been going to his classes for more than 6 months and I want to get more serious with muay thai/kickboxing, I've never seen him fight since he's long retired but he is still able to do handstands and still has good power kicks. He is a great teacher and has made me like MMA even more.
I am about 14 now, and his classes are still great. Haven't been there for about a month now because of transportation issues but trying to make it work. He inspires others alot, and after his classes he gives us advice to become better people and stuff like that.
This post is long but ive been meaning to share my experience, the others who say he is overrated and not talented have only ever seen him fight in very low quality videos. He's a good dude.

You could have just signed up as yourself, Blake. It's cool.

You could have just signed up as yourself, Blake. It's cool.

I was named after his nickname "The Blade" actually (atleast I think that's his nickname lol), when I was younger I was really happy because my named sounded even cooler if you got to hear the backstory of it all, and I am very thankful my mom gave me such a nice name. Those people saying he is overrated and untalented just makes my blood boil, as he's the opposite of both those things and I will keep repeating that as long as I have to. Thanks for replying to my post though.

I know he is retired now but when he was active, how well known was he outside of canada and how good did he do againts other kickboxers?

Here is some of his highlights:

P.S: He was trained by Farid Dordar who I made a thread a while ago on here...

Never heard of him

I was named after his nickname "The Blade" actually (atleast I think that's his nickname lol), when I was younger I was really happy because my named sounded even cooler if you got to hear the backstory of it all, and I am very thankful my mom gave me such a nice name. Those people saying he is overrated and untalented just makes my blood boil, as he's the opposite of both those things and I will keep repeating that as long as I have to. Thanks for replying to my post though.
Your name is blade?

I missed this post but I made this thread and its crazy because I also trained at champions as well but the thing was that, by the time I got to champions, the founder Master Farid Dordar and Blake left champions. Master Farid learned how to code and started a software company and Blake and his brother opened their own place first in west van and now they are in Coquitlam.

I believe you, he is a great fighter and seems like a nice guy. They say he fought bums but to be fair, back then you fight whoever signs up in your area. That and to get a big name fighter, you have to either prove that you are big name or you have to fight tons of people. Blake fought whoever was in front of him.

If he was growing up Japan, he would have been a K-1 veteran since k-1 was the IT place for world class kickboxers.

Never heard of him

That is actually pretty badass. Blake was the original "Chad" since if you were named Blake, you were probably a badass!

There was a fighter in B.C who fought in kickboxing named Blake and he looked like Blake Lirette as well but smaller. His name was "Bad Blake"

Your name is blade?

Yes, sometimes people call me Blake though because Blake and Blade are very similar names.

I missed this post but I made this thread and its crazy because I also trained at champions as well but the thing was that, by the time I got to champions, the founder Master Farid Dordar and Blake left champions. Master Farid learned how to code and started a software company and Blake and his brother opened their own place first in west van and now they are in Coquitlam.

I believe you, he is a great fighter and seems like a nice guy. They say he fought bums but to be fair, back then you fight whoever signs up in your area. That and to get a big name fighter, you have to either prove that you are big name or you have to fight tons of people. Blake fought whoever was in front of him.

If he was growing up Japan, he would have been a K-1 veteran since k-1 was the IT place for world class kickboxers.

That is actually pretty badass. Blake was the original "Chad" since if you were named Blake, you were probably a badass!

There was a fighter in B.C who fought in kickboxing named Blake and he looked like Blake Lirette as well but smaller. His name was "Bad Blake"

I think because the internet wasn't really that big back then people didn't really hear about other MMA artists except the ones in your local area. I looked at some of his videos again and I feel like most of the people he fought were poster boys, one even threw an illegal punch in one of his WKL fights and the ref never noticed.

His YouTube channel even got recommended to me and I saw that he went to Thailand to train, and he was in the movie iSPY. Overall, he just seems like a nice dude to train with and be around. I think he has a son too but I'm not sure.

I think because the internet wasn't really that big back then people didn't really hear about other MMA artists except the ones in your local area.
The internet is big now and still nobody pays attention to regional Canadian Kickboxing...

Blake "Never Heard of Him" Lirette

Last edited:
Back