How good would Royce Garcia be today?

Not very good.

Even though he was far removed from his prime, I believe Matt Hughes showed us how Gracie would fair in the evolved MMA world.
He was much more than "far removed from his prime", he was 40 yrs old, Im afraid...

This kid I smoke weed with, he 12, I tell him in the MMA, Garcia would beat MaCGregor.
He dont believe me. He too young to remember the bests like Garcia and Tim Sylvia and Ben Sapp.
The MMA devolved since then.
Still not good as the Boxing.
That real sport.

Like he was pretty good when MMA first came out with him Don Fries, Tito and Chuck.
But since they made the MMA, how well would they do today since they made the MMA?
I think his grappling was pretty good for the MMA, but he had no striking in the MMA.
Striking is a little better now, not good like in the Boxing, but in the MMA you dont need to be good at really anything since its not as a hard as a sport as the Boxing.

But in his prime, how good does Royce do in the MMA today?
Also what about his Dad Camrilo Garcia?
He also invented the MMA

View attachment 488315

Came to say that, there is Ken Shamrock.

Also LOL at Don Fries and Royce Garcia. Don Fries needs to stop hitting up the McDonalds.

He was much more than "far removed from his prime", he was 40 yrs old, Im afraid...

His skill set was the same. Let's not pretend that Matt Hughes wouldn't have muscled a younger Royce all the same. Also, no gi is a big factor for him too.

Not shitting on the guy or anything. Every sport needs their pioneers, but he wouldn't survive in today's MMA. Let's not kid ourselves here.

His skill set was the same. Let's not pretend that Matt Hughes wouldn't have muscled a younger Royce all the same. Also, no gi is a big factor for him too.

Not shitting on the guy or anything. Every sport needs their pioneers, but he wouldn't survive in today's MMA. Let's not kid ourselves here.
Completely irrelevant. Ya cant assess anything from a fight involvin´ a 40 yrs dude, would be like assessin´ a RJJ or Lights Out fight when they were in their 40s...

qwR9FnJ.jpg

95ainZK.jpg

This kid I smoke weed with, he 12, I tell him in the MMA, Garcia would beat MaCGregor.
He dont believe me. He too young to remember the bests like Garcia and Tim Sylvia and Ben Sapp.
The MMA devolved since then.
Still not good as the Boxing.
That real sport.
Was this post a warning about smoking weed

Completely irrelevant. Ya cant assess anything from a fight involvin´ a 40 yrs dude, would be like assessin´ a RJJ or Lights Out fight when they were in their 40s...

I can do what I want.

Like he was pretty good when MMA first came out with him Don Fries, Tito and Chuck.

View attachment 488315

He never fought Frye, Tito or Chuck. They all would've mauled him. Frye entered the scene just a few years after Royce. See his fight with Amaury Bitetti, a BJJ black belt who was a little bigger than Royce (185 pounds). Frye stuffed his TDs and beat him up badly until the ref finally stopped the fight.

He never fought Frye, Tito or Chuck. They all would've mauled him. Frye entered the scene just a few years after Royce. See his fight with Amaury Bitetti, a BJJ black belt who was a little bigger than Royce (185 pounds). Frye stuffed his TDs and beat him up badly until the ref finally stopped the fight.
They helped invent the MMA when Garcia invented the MMA.

Thread just got wastelanded.
Fuck off you MMA nerds.

But since they made the MMA, how well would they do today since they made the MMA?
I think his grappling was pretty good for the MMA, but he had no striking in the MMA.
Striking is a little better now, not good like in the Boxing, but in the MMA you dont need to be good at really anything since its not as a hard as a sport as the Boxing.

He also invented the MMA

View attachment 488315
images.jpeg

hrmmm

Trolling you are,

He also invented the MMA

View attachment 488315
I find it ironic that you include a picture of Ken Clover yet do not include him in your query.

Royce would do well if he were allowed to fight wearing the GI. He got many submissions fighting guys way bigger than him using the GI as a tool. When he fought Matt Hughes the rules had changed and fighter were not allowed to wear a GI and the reason why he lost to Matt. When Royce fought in the early days of the UFC there were no weight classes. If fought today wearing a GI he would be fighting guys his size and would easily win most if not all of his fights. Without the GI he would be just another JJ grappler similar to the fighting style of Damian Maia and get dominated on the feet.

There is certainly a disparity between the pioneers and today's elite, but I suspect its not as vast as some think. Vitor Belfort is a good indicator of this. One can make the argument that he evolved but I doubt it. I think his skills stayed close to the same throughout his career, yet he was always very good and elite in all the eras but never managed to become champion. Randy had very tough fights and defeats in the old era and also in the very recent era. The gap is probably bigger in the lightweights though.

Last edited:
Back