How good would Royce Garcia be today?

tenor.gif

He would be a good jujitsu guy at 155, maybe fringe top 20.

Royce would do well if he were allowed to fight wearing the GI. He got many submissions fighting guys way bigger than him using the GI as a tool. When he fought Matt Hughes the rules had changed and fighter were not allowed to wear a GI and the reason why he lost to Matt. When Royce fought in the early days of the UFC there were no weight classes. If fought today wearing a GI he would be fighting guys his size and would easily win most if not all of his fights. Without the GI he would be just another JJ grappler similar to the fighting style of Damian Maia and get dominated on the feet.
Uh, no, people figured out the gi and it became more of a liability than an asset. Did you start watching MMA in 2006 or something?

Last edited:
Royce Garcia vs. Tank Glamrock was the fight I always wanted to see.

They helped invent the MMA when Garcia invented the MMA.

How profound! I may have someone put that quote in gold-plated letters and frame it over my fireplace!

Like he was pretty good when MMA first came out with him Don Fries, Tito and Chuck.
But since they made the MMA, how well would they do today since they made the MMA?
I think his grappling was pretty good for the MMA, but he had no striking in the MMA.
Striking is a little better now, not good like in the Boxing, but in the MMA you dont need to be good at really anything since its not as a hard as a sport as the Boxing.

But in his prime, how good does Royce do in the MMA today?
Also what about his Dad Camrilo Garcia?
He also invented the MMA

View attachment 488315

tenor.gif

He was much more than "far removed from his prime", he was 40 yrs old, Im afraid...

Yeah, but he'd taken very little damage--certainly a ton less than Shamrock, Frye and others of his generation by 2006. A 30-year old Royce wouldn't have fared any better.

Uh, no, people figured out the gi and it became more of a liability than an asset. Did all of you start watching MMA in 2006 or something?
People figured out the GI?? What there to figure out, and then why wearing the GI not allowed?
Simple, because it was an advantage. Did you stop watching in 2007
Plus you missed the whole point of the discussion

People figured out the GI?? What there to figure out, and then why wearing the GI not allowed?

Not sure if you're a troll or just plain stupid, but watch how Sakuraba used Royce's gi when they fought.

Your your a forking idiot with no MMA IQ

It must have taken all 53 of your IQ points to come up with that one....especially the double "your."

It's impossible to gauge, since it's now a completely different sport. Everyone is well rounded, trains in BJJ and his one-trick stuff wouldn't work as well. Back then, all the BJJ stuff was a complete mystery to his competitors and they had no idea how to defend.

He would have to train to be a complete fighter to even make it to the UFC if he fought today, which makes it irrelevant in the context of the question.

It's like asking if you think today's MLB players could hit Cy Young's pitching or whether Ty Cobb would hit MLB pitching today. I gaurantee the players of today would school the old timers in their prime, just for the simple reason that today's game has evolved immensely from the early days.

WTF did i just read? I think i could put it together but im lost. ROYCE and chuck and tito? different eras bro? GARCIA? in the MMA? Wtf?

It's impossible to gauge, since it's now a completely different sport. Everyone is well rounded, trains in BJJ and his one-trick stuff wouldn't work as well. Back then, all the BJJ stuff was a complete mystery to his competitors and they had no idea how to defend.

He would have to train to be a complete fighter to even make it to the UFC if he fought today, which makes it irrelevant in the context of the question.

It's like asking if you think today's MLB players could hit Cy Young's pitching or whether Ty Cobb would hit MLB pitching today. I gaurantee the players of today would school the old timers in their prime, just for the simple reason that today's game has evolved immensely from the early days.

TS seems to be asking how early Royce (not one trained in 2018 MMA skills) would do against current fighters.

This kid I smoke weed with, he 12, I tell him in the MMA, Garcia would beat MaCGregor.
He dont believe me. He too young to remember the bests like Garcia and Tim Sylvia and Ben Sapp.
The MMA devolved since then.
Still not good as the Boxing.
That real sport.
What planet are you on? And stop teaching your 12 year old child about MMA. he will be all fucked up and talking about Ben sapps and Roger Garcias. Please help him now and not ruin future sherdoggers thanks

Plus you missed the whole point of the discussion
Imagine a wrestler like lesnar able to grab your fucking GI? It would be fucking over in a smothering like no other. Yes it can be used as a weapon aswell but it would have been the reason for an mma death. A gi is a liability at high level mma

Back