How hard will Jim Lampley cry on Oct 27 HBO's last boxing show ever?

WAS boxing til they lost the backing of haymon & showtime

Lost a lot of power there

Ever heard of Don Dunphy? Ever listened to some of the older broadcasts? No histrionics, no excess drama, just the facts. Cosell really screwed up sports broadcasting by making it all about him. Some of the latter day better ones have been Lamps, I love Merchant, I like most of them actually but it's certainly gone downhill. Max Kellerman is ok I guess, Al Bernstein is a pro, I never could figure out why Barry Thompkins kept getting fired. Most of them are ok, actually, i don't think I actually dislike any of them. Even Cosell was called the guy you loved to hate. As I said, none of them are objective, Bernstein, as good as he is, I can tell he doesn't like certain fighters like Ali very much and even Don Dunphy could be heard misrepresenting "The Drama In The Bahamas" making it sound like a great event rather than a travesty.

Yeah I agree the drama is not necessary, I don't really include Al Bernstein there as I am talking mainly about the actual color commentator and Mauro seems to have that job somehow. I love Al.

Actually, if I were being honest my all time favorite is Barry Tompkins but as you say I have no idea why he never seemed to stick anywhere, he seemed neutral, really nice and overall knowledgable. Him and Al Berstein were by far my favorite combination but I am guessing the suits don't love two overly nice guys, which sucks.

But overall, when taking into account the voice quality and actual commentating, I really love Jim, as long as he isn't going mental about some other shit or weeping because Cotto landed a beautiful jab.

no it wont. new generation, new boxing. simple as that. acting like the boxers on HBO just last year have all retired. a new fresh air for commentary over Canelo or GGG is good for the sport!

it has a lot of history and it is sad it is disappearing. it had 90% of the big fights.

it wasnt some fly by night promition. it was something generations follow. it isnt mma where everything is disposable

After all them years they just fell off didn't they

Larry Merchant said it best as HBO was a great champion for boxing and then a worn out fighter becoming a journeyman becoming a name putting their hand up for a payday. The last few years were telling, snubbing pacquiao fights and ultimately losing top rank and two thirds of their marquee talent (loma, crawford etc) to trying to make PPV worthy attractions out of nothing (crawford vs postol) To Ward retiring to going all in on gimmicks and longshots (cletus the jewish hammer LOL...Mungia who is way too premature to invest on), Kovalev getting trounced after having his resurgence heavily invested in...HBO declining to bid for the alvarez rematch was the writing on the wall for me.

Larry Merchant said it best as HBO was a great champion for boxing and then a worn out fighter becoming a journeyman becoming a name putting their hand up for a payday. The last few years were telling, snubbing pacquiao fights and ultimately losing top rank and two thirds of their marquee talent (loma, crawford etc) to trying to make PPV worthy attractions out of nothing (crawford vs postol) To Ward retiring to going all in on gimmicks and longshots (cletus the jewish hammer LOL...Mungia who is way too premature to invest on), Kovalev getting trounced after having his resurgence heavily invested in...HBO declining to bid for the alvarez rematch was the writing on the wall for me.
you are right mate

Back