How important are bent over rows?

EatMyShorts

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I never used to do them, but had a little extra time yesterday so said I'd try something new.

Overhand bent over with the barbell felt horrible.

DId a little research.

Apparently they hit the lats a lot better with an underhand grip.

I actually liked doing them from sumo stance and grip also.

Then I see, them rows - t-bar rows - so figure they might be a good fit.

In terms of development though - are they more of an accessory exercise?

very important but curls are importanter

By most definitions, anything that’s not squat/bench/deadlift or snatch/clean & jerk is an accessory exercise. However almost every decent program has a row variation in it, whether it be bent over rows, Pendlay rows, one arm dumbbell rows, etc. Some sort of horizontal pull/row (as well as a vertical pull, like pull-ups) is necessary for a balanced routine, a balanced physique and overall strength.

I follow strongman Brian Alsruhe, and he's of the belief that you should be able to row as much as you bench or more, and you should include all variants in your program. I love rows, especially the Yates row. And according to Chris Jones, rows get the ho's, so win win.

By most definitions, anything that’s not squat/bench/deadlift or snatch/clean & jerk is an accessory exercise. However almost every decent program has a row variation in it, whether it be bent over rows, Pendlay rows, one arm dumbbell rows, etc. Some sort of horizontal pull/row (as well as a vertical pull, like pull-ups) is necessary for a balanced routine, a balanced physique and overall strength.
Are vertical rows really a necessity if you do horizontal?

I've read conflicting opinions.

Are vertical rows really a necessity if you do horizontal?

I've read conflicting opinions.

Are they a necessity? Nothing is a necessity, even squats or deadlifts. But while the exercises are similar, they are not identical. Each has their benefits and most people, barring injury, should do both.

heavy one arm dumbbell rows with at least half bodyweight were my favourite. sadly my bad hip got worse every year and i can't even lift 20 kg without following pain. i enjoy doing rows on rings very much now.

bench rows or seal rows are often overlooked exercises. people with bad backs or bad hips can do heavy weight with this variation without aggravating discs or arthritis stuff in the legs.

I bent over barbell row what I've benched, then I add seated and one arm rows too. I definitely row more volume than I press and I feel like it's good for me atm.

honestly its better than nothing. although i'd prefer chins/pull ups or cleans instead because they provide alot more. for shoulder rehab its amazing though :)

BOR are great. I think you should post a video of these sumo overhand bent over rows, though.

I alternate between bent rows, DB rows and a seated variation (machine/cable) at every back workout

I use the alternatives. Bent over rows looks unnatural to me because of my APT.

Rows are great. Dumbbell, barbell, cable... seated or bent-over, all great.

I don't think there any real reason to ever down upright rows. If you are going to do them use a wide grip. The close grip ones are a good way to injure your shuolders via impingement.

They’re incredibly important for deadlift and bench press development, injury prevention and having a balanced physique.

I don't think there any real reason to ever down upright rows. If you are going to do them use a wide grip. The close grip ones are a good way to injure your shuolders via impingement.

They’re one of the best movements for developing your upper back and shoulders. Like any exercise, they’re not necessary, but that doesn’t mean they’re not awesome.

A wide grip might be safer because of how it limits your elbow height, but you can use a narrow grip and limit your ROM appropriately for the same effect. It also appears that using a wider grip is just better in general:

“Researchers from Memphis University measured muscle activity of the front, middle, and rear deltoids, as well as the upper and middle traps during upright rows performed with a close grip (half of shoulder width), a shoulder-width grip, and a two-times wider-than-shoulder-width grip. With the two-times shoulder-width grip, the muscle activity of both the middle deltoid and even the rear deltoid increased by more than 20% compared with the close grip. Also, the wider grip increased muscle activity of the upper traps.”

I’m sure the type (I, II, III) of acromion you’re born with plays a key role, but if you have healthy shoulders and scapular movement, and can do upright rows without issue, they’re a fucking awesome exercise. Upright rows are kind of like behind the neck presses. Everyone says they’re bad for you as if it’s the exercise when, really, it all comes down to the individual.

Eric Lilliebridge loves them, and I think we’re all aware of his upper back/trap development. Most bodybuilders do them too. I think I remember seeing a Johnnie Jackson video about doing upright rows. I believe he was a fan of the wider grip.

Edit—This one:

Last edited:
They’re incredibly important for bench press development

Having a strong upper back will always be better than having a weak one, but hasn’t this been shown to be largely untrue?

Having a strong upper back will always be better than having a weak one, but hasn’t this been shown to be largely untrue?
Matt Wenning and Chris Duffin both tout lat development as being crucial to benching. For me it helps me try to “break the bar” and stay tight during the descent as well as springing out of the hole. Could just be me thinking it’s working and drinking their Kool Aid though.

lat flaring is the best exercise for a wide back

That's quite a narrow definition of accessory exercise. I think anything that isn't punching something is an accessory exercise.

Back