How important are bent over rows?

A lot of people do say that. Interesting dissenting opinion from Greg Nuckols:

https://www.strongerbyscience.com/lats-bench-press-much-ado-little/
Makes sense that equipped lifters would want stronger lats to pull against the shirts, but i still feel my bench has gone up as I’ve developed my lats. Helps me retract the scapulas harder, and even get a bit of a push out of the bottom. I feel my lats over head pressing as well, and even while squatting. Really bending the bar over my back and generating upper back tightness makes the bar feel weightless when I unrack it.

They’re incredibly important for deadlift and bench press development, injury prevention and having a balanced physique.
You ever hear the theory that rowing can actually exacerbate imbalances in the shoulder girdle if your rely on them too heavily? I find that it holds true a good percentage of the time. Its always a good idea to implement some lower trap and serratus work, specifically with external rotation.

You ever hear the theory that rowing can actually exacerbate imbalances in the shoulder girdle if your rely on them too heavily? I find that it holds true a good percentage of the time. Its always a good idea to implement some lower trap and serratus work, specifically with external rotation.
So like pull overs? I do rows and pull ups

So like pull overs? I do rows and pull ups
No, more like face pulls with your elbow at 90 degrees, your palms facing your head, and your shoulder externally rotated. Remember those old school pec fly machines, pretty much the opposite of that. And then there is the Ys Ts and Is series. I do mine isometrically and hold it for time bc I have shoulder issues but as soon as most people start doing these they feel a dramatic increase in stability and even in strength bc your scapula is now in a very sturdy position.

Play around with the height of the cable or resistance band.
and

Ive had a labrum tear and some other soft tissue injuries in my shoulder for a long time and these keep me pretty healthy. They also helped me overcome some pretty serious imbalances. Its also a really good idea to work thoracic extension with a foam roller.

No, more like face pulls with your elbow at 90 degrees, your palms facing your head, and your shoulder externally rotated. Remember those old school pec fly machines, pretty much the opposite of that. And then there is the Ys Ts and Is series. I do mine isometrically and hold it for time bc I have shoulder issues but as soon as most people start doing these they feel a dramatic increase in stability and even in strength bc your scapula is now in a very sturdy position.

Play around with the height of the cable or resistance band.
and

Ive had a labrum tear and some other soft tissue injuries in my shoulder for a long time and these keep me pretty healthy. They also helped me overcome some pretty serious imbalances. Its also a really good idea to work thoracic extension with a foam roller.

I do band face pulls too

I like bands much much better too.
Yeah the accommodating resistance of the bands really helps stabilise and keep active in the right muscles through the entire movement. The feedback is just better. I like bands much more than cables or dumbbells for most corrective shoulder work, although they all have their uses.

Last edited:
Yeah the accommodating resistance of the bands really helps stabilise and keep active in the right muscles through the entire movement. The feedback is just better. I like bands much more than cables or dumbbells for most corretive shoulder work, although they all have their uses.
Dare I blaspheme and say that a quality resistance band is a close second on my list of favorite forms of resistance behind bodyweight.

Dare I blaspheme and say that a quality resistance band is a close second on my list of favorite forms of resistance behind bodyweight.
I don't know if I'd go that far, but depending on the purpose sure.

I use bands because I train at home and cable machines are expensive. However I do think bands are better, the pulleys and stuff make the resistance too inconsistent

By most definitions, anything that’s not squat/bench/deadlift or snatch/clean & jerk is an accessory exercise. However almost every decent program has a row variation in it, whether it be bent over rows, Pendlay rows, one arm dumbbell rows, etc. Some sort of horizontal pull/row (as well as a vertical pull, like pull-ups) is necessary for a balanced routine, a balanced physique and overall strength.

Press is on my basic list.

Back