How important is center knurl?

deadshot138

Gold Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
I use a Rogue Echo bar that has no center knurling but I’ve been eyeing some upgrades that do. Is center knurling an important characteristic of a barbell?

I’m leaning towards either a Texas Power or Ohio Power bar.

Do you ever feel like the bar shifts on your back when you squat?

The center knurling will help with that.

From the advice of people on here, I bought the Ohio Power Bar. Love that thing. I'll never use a barbell that doesn't have center knurling.

Gonna get an Ohio bar. I’m setting milestones for gear purchases. 650 deadlift will be a new bar. 415 bench will be a new bench with fat pad, 605 squat will be new power rack. Dunno what I’ll get when I get my 300lbs overhead press tho.

I'm not sure if you do Olympic weight lifting because from what I've read, the knurling is sharper on the Texas Power Bar. However, skin do grow back.

I'm not sure if you do Olympic weight lifting because from what I've read, the knurling is sharper on the Texas Power Bar. However, skin do grow back.
I do Power cleans occasionally but I could easily replace them with power snatches

I use a Rogue Echo bar that has no center knurling but I’ve been eyeing some upgrades that do. Is center knurling an important characteristic of a barbell?

How is that bar? I was thinking ablut grabbing one for oly lifts. I current l3y got the burgener and rippetoe bar with zero whip

How is that bar? I was thinking ablut grabbing one for oly lifts. I current l3y got the burgener and rippetoe bar with zero whip
No whip on this bar either, it’s decent though, spins well

Gonna get an Ohio bar. I’m setting milestones for gear purchases. 650 deadlift will be a new bar. 415 bench will be a new bench with fat pad, 605 squat will be new power rack. Dunno what I’ll get when I get my 300lbs overhead press tho.

a circus dumbbell

this milestone thing is a pretty nice idea.

Last edited:

Center knurling is very important for a squat bar. It's irrelevant for anything else.

Center knurling is very important for a squat bar. It's irrelevant for anything else.
Allfather Rippetoe said the center knurl is meant to catch the shirt doing the squat. If he says it’s important, I shall buy a bar with center knurl. I’ll keep the echo bar for doing cleans tho

Allfather Rippetoe said the center knurl is meant to catch the shirt doing the squat. If he says it’s important, I shall buy a bar with center knurl. I’ll keep the echo bar for doing cleans tho

I have a Texas Power Bar. Doing cleans with that bar would be brutal.

I have a Texas Power Bar. Doing cleans with that bar would be brutal.
Heard the Texas knurl is ridiculous. As a hook gripper, I don’t know how that would feel on my thumbs, probably horrible

Back