How is Mike Tyson not considered top 5 Heavyweight of all time?

CodeBreaker

What belt?
@Brown
Reaction score
How is Mike Tyson not considered top 5 Heavyweight of all time, when in his prime, that version of Mike Tyson in 1986-89 would have beaten any of the past and present heavyweights in the world.

Prime Mike had everything, hand speed, head movement, foot work, and could knock you out with either hand.
Discuss.

There is a search tool on this forum.

You can browse one of thousands of threads made on this topic.

You've been here a year and havent seen the multiple threads on this exact topic??

tenor-210761526.gif

How is Mike Tyson not considered top 5 Heavyweight of all time, when in his prime, that version of Mike Tyson in 1986-89 would have beaten any of the past and present heavyweights in the world.

Prime Mike had everything, hand speed, head movement, foot work, and could knock you out with either hand.
Discuss.

He ruled a weak division and lost the tough challenges. I’d have him around 5-7 personally and I don’t see him beating every other HW during his prime. Lennox wouldve knocked him out at any point in his career

In his prime he was most certainly one of the best ever but that's not how you rank a boxers career.

"in his prime, that version of Mike Tyson in 1986-89 would have beaten any of the past and present heavyweights in the world"

Theres no proof of that though. You can only go by what he actually did. He was a great HW but his resume is not top 5.

resume isnt top 5. no lewis, no hoyfield, bowe etc.

a spectacle to watch for sure

Because you can’t base it just off talent. It’s based off achievements.

Tyson is definitely top 5 in terms of talent. However he fought in a weak HW era and the few great fighters he did fight beat him.

Prison ruined him. At his best he was great but let's be honest and say he never beat the top guys.

So he isn't top 5. Potential at his early years sure.

Prime George Foreman would’ve folded Mike Tyson. A Big George who wasn’t handed steroids during HBO’s rise. In fact the first HBO show was Foreman vs Frasier innit?

To me Mike is/was definitely the perfect heavyweight. No one in history or in the present has matched his technique, speed, movement, explosiveness, power and charisma all combined. Only Mike Tyson ever beat Mike Tyson. Fuck what anyone says

But yeah some of these rankings logically have criteria which make it impossible for Mike to end up high

He simply is overshadowed by guys with deeper resumes.

He rates favorably with guys like Frazier and Foreman IMO but Ali, Lewis and Lewis are the clear top guys IMO.

Tyson's resume isn't as bad as a lot of people make out, but he's far from top 5 all time. I can see an argument for him being top 10, though.

There are atleast 5 people better than him.

To me Mike is/was definitely the perfect heavyweight. No one in history or in the present has matched his technique, speed, movement, explosiveness, power and charisma all combined. Only Mike Tyson ever beat Mike Tyson. Fuck what anyone says

But yeah some of these rankings logically have criteria which make it impossible for Mike to end up high
I don't think you can be called "the perfect heavyweight" and be that short.

Ali, Foreman, Louis, Lewis, Liston, an likely more beat any version of Tyson

Two ways to rate a fighter all time. Resume and at his all time best. His resume is better than people make it out to be, but not top 5 as a HW. I’d say it’s definitely top 10. At his best, I think he’s top 3 without a doubt, maybe even #1. I’d favor the best version of Lennox Lewis to beat him with both at their best, but wouldn’t shock me if Tyson won.

Back