How is the trade war going?

At a very basic level, trade, civility, and public justice guarantee perpetual peace for the human species. The opposite guarantees perpetual war. I'm not a big fan of Kant, but he was spot on about that.

The largest maker of nails in the US announced layoffs earlier this week.

It really depends on the final outcome. None of of know how this will play out. Maybe it turns out in our favor, maybe it cripples our economy that's why it is scary. Taking a major risk right now when we are in the middle of great economic growth is what most people find scary.
One could justifiably be worried, possibly even should be, but if there is a possibility of bringing the level to a bit better parity instead of hemorrhaging mostly in one direct I say go for it regardless of any hurt feelings on the part of allies. The US has been practically subsiding most of the developed world in one way or another for some time now. Maybe, just maybe, its time to get a little hardline in the interest of this nation. That may not be socially or fiscally pc in this day and age of global communities but we are not Europe, we are not Canada, not Mexico, not China and nor Russia. It's not about taking the ball and going home. It's more about taking some time for self-interest and self-preservation.

Or at least that's how I choose to look at it wrong or right. As for how the EU views it, I have little sympathy for the One Ring of Commissions. Somewhere along the way the EC convinced itself it was about controlling the lives of Europe rather than a union of sovereign countries coming together for economic and military security. The first time Brussels popped its head up with a dictat on social policies for the whole union it should have been told to pound sand and know its role. But money talks and power is seductive. I trust nothing that comes out of Brussels nor any of its fat cat speaking bobbleheads. Hell, people talk about fascism but what about Macron's ongoing comments about what WILL happen with the Union and what WILL be done to members that buck the program.

I take this non-sequitur as you realizing you're of out of your depth in this discussion.
I'll take this ad-hominem as you being bumstung into Bolivia by myself and other Americans laughing at you and your EU lawmakers empty threats. Get a grip kiddo, we're the kings of this planet.

I get the feeling that the majority of people who support this think that when we put "200 billion on China," it means we're taking 200 billion dollars from them and putting it into a bank account.

3ya25dF.gif

The "trade war" will look more like a trade beatdown.

And of course Harley Davidson feeling forced to leave, but thats peanuts as it's 'only' one company and they were manufacturing abroad before that, compared to the huge damage trade wars will so to everyone involved. People will lose jobs, pay more for products, create international distrust and of course plummeting stocks, which was Trumps 'big win' where he thought he created trillions of dollars.

Like the N-Korea summit, I would recommend Trump if he is the first to do something radical it would be wise to consider why it hasn't been done before and not assume because he is smarter than all presidents before him.

His narcism will cause a global recession, not Bill Maher.

EDIT: The American Institute for International Steel (AIIS) is preparing to file a lawsuit against Trump as they state that Trump is exercizing legislative powers, which according to the constitution belong to congress.

Trying to stop the demise of America through insane trade deficits is an important thong to tackle.. Somebody should have had some balls 25 years ago.

I'll take this ad-hominem as you being bumstung into Bolivia by myself and other Americans laughing at you and your EU lawmakers empty threats. Get a grip kiddo, we're the kings of this planet.
See, you're not even discussing anything. Nobody is laughing, really, it's clear to anyone with a grip (kiddo) that everyone loses with this. American jobs are lost, consumer goods are more expensive for everyone... there might be an argument to be made with other countries being more heavily affected by the tariffs, but if "we're getting fucked less than others by the policy we support" isn't a great sell.

"Haha, Murika #1" is not an argument. It's whoring out for likes. Come back when you're ready to argue something different than "they're jealous". You just sound like a child.

Trying to stop the demise of America through insane trade deficits is an important thong to tackle.. Somebody should have had some balls 25 years ago.
Please explain how trade deficits would bring the demise of anyone.

It'll be like ZTE; Trump will screw stuff up, try to fix it and then take credit for something.

See, you're not even discussing anything. Nobody is laughing, really, it's clear to anyone with a grip (kiddo) that everyone loses with this. American jobs are lost, consumer goods are more expensive for everyone... there might be an argument to be made with other countries being more heavily affected by the tariffs, but if "we're getting fucked less than others by the policy we support" isn't a great sell.

"Haha, Murika #1" is not an argument. It's whoring out for likes. Come back when you're ready to argue something different than "they're jealous". You just sound like a child.
TDDR

(Too Dumb Didn't Read)

"Automakers to warn Trump of $45 billion cost hike if tariff imposed

An automotive trade group said Tuesday it would tell the Trump administration that a U.S. threat to impose a tariff of up to 25 percent on imported passenger vehicles under national security grounds would cost American consumers $45 billion annually, or $5,800 per vehicle."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/com...-if-tariff-imposed/ar-AAzcVQj?ocid=spartanntp

It's gonna be awesome for somebody...
That probably won't be your average American though.

Back