How Jiu-Jitsu saved my life... and why I didn't need it

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
My Dear F12 Friends,

You once knew me by a different name, which hath passed into obscurity with its swift and unjust prohibition from these forums. in which I spread my gospel from January 18, 2006 of the Julian Calendar until that day in which I was banned from the entirety of the alphanumeric F_ boards, save none, merely for the candid observation that my 45-kilogram weight advantage and sub-:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:rdly muscular explosiveness conveyed a marital capacity greatly exceeding that required to unseat the monarch of the homogametic sex from her throne.

And yes, I maintain that, with a few weeks of cardiovascular preparation, the aforementioned harlot's successor would be bludgeoned into titular oblivion when faced with an indomitable XY challenger, a vestal virgin in beating the weaker sex, but an enthusiastic aficionado of this practice so long as there remain females on our earth suffering from the misapprehension that their martial success against fellow harlots entitles them to some measure of gladiatorial triumph.

Furthermore, I disclosed in all candor, that irrespective of her combative ascendence, my phallus remained unengorged by the prospect of intimate contact with Ms. Rousey, certainly by the remote prospect of martial confrontation, and absolutely by the negligible prospect of consensual coitus, given my string of capably calculated consummation or romance-esque, palpably non-procreative relationship with Slavic stunners. So be it.

To paraphrase Iron Mike, "I did a lot of things I should have been [banned] for, but wasn't, and was [something] for something I did [that was complete bullshit, as Holly Holm later demonstrated]." In order to take responsibility for my actions, as well of those of my Master Jose Higino, I have demoted myself by one percentage, so that I no longer can claim to be "cem por cento" of any martial art.

I am instead an intellectual ronin, claiming no allegiance to any established order. I post here, not to glorify any of my corporeal teachers (though they are, in sequence: Romie Aram, Javier Vazquez, John Alessio, Wander Braga, Alan Zborovsky, Reubens Charles, and most of all John Jacques Machado), but rather to convey three inviolate principles:

1. Drew Foster is one of the best human beings to ever walk this earth. If you are ever suffering and in need of honesty and support, contact this man, for his clarity of wit and purity of soul are unmatched, not only on this forum, but the series of tubes that comprises the interwebs. In my lowest moment, I contacted him on a whim, and the result has been years of friendship from one of the finest human beings conceivable.

2. The martial skills imparted by jiu-jitsu work can, and in the right circumstances *will*, save your life.
I was traveling in a distant country, which shall remain unnamed until the next sentence. (It was Russia, Moscow to be specific, you curious bastards.) Upon suffering a most unamicable split with my girlfriend (i.e., the single hottest woman upon whom I had ever laid eyes), I set about ruining my life by walking into the single most expensive nightclub in the planet, SOHO Rooms, purchasing vast quantities of alcohol, and imbibing them at an unsustainable rate.

Unsurprisingly, my recall of the night is less than perfect. But I do remember the near-violent argument I had with my doorman over the cost of the cab ride back to the apartment I was renting. He demanded compensation for hailing a cab, and the only bills I had in my wallet were for 5,000 rubles, which was at the time equivaelnt to roughly I argued with him vociferously that it was his obligation to refund me the excess value of the note... and he amicably agreed... all the way until he shoved me into a cab that sped off.
Apparently, I blacked out inside the vehicle, because my next memory is standing inside a Russian liquor store and cheerfully purchasing everything desired by every customer, as if I were some high-roller at a bar. This was a grave error.

As I was walking back from the liquor store, gayly swinging my plastic bag of ice-cream sandwiches, as I walked down the alley towards my flat, I noticed the sound of footsteps approaching from behind. Then I felt an arm shoot around my neck and begin strangling me from behind.

*To be continued (Sorry guys, I gotta go sleep. Will type more tomorrow)*

This is definitely RichPolymath. Am I wrong?

And yeah, Drew is a great guy, he has sent me a great deal of highly educational information related to jiu jitsu, for the low price of free. I hope to meet/train with him some day.

Hi Drew : )

They banned you because you claimed your marriage-related abilities were enough to dethrone Ronda Rousey?

They banned you because you claimed your marriage-related abilities were enough to dethrone Ronda Rousey?
I think that was a typo of "martial", i.e. that his weight advantage and athleticism would be enough to beat her in a fight.

He does make a good point in that doing well against other females may lead one to extrapolate that fighting a guy is exactly the same... it's not. Ronda claims she could beat then-HW champ Cain Velasquez "in the right circumstances"... one wonders if those circumstances would be predicated on Rousey's possession of a gun or a knife, lol.

Can someone give me cliffs?

IMG_3028_featured_image.jpg

This is definitely RichPolymath. Am I wrong?

Guys,

I'm sorry for not finishing my story the other night. I also regret the grandiloquent tone, which made this all seem like a big joke.

It's not. This story is completely true. DrewFoster can (and will, I hope) vouch for me: This incident in Moscow really did happen. Now that I'm sober, I would be happy to start over and tell you guys the facts using plain, clear language.

Please don't assume that the story is a joke, just because of my history of trolling. During my years as 100%Jiu-Jitsu, I loved to write highbrow BJJ satire, but most of my posts were serious.

Actually, this is the second time I've recounted a real life-or-death incident on F12. Some of you may remember the first time, when I posted about an incident that happened on a freeway overpass near San Diego. I witnessed a guy swerve into traffic, total his Mustang in a head-on-collision, then run out and attack the other accident victims before first responders got on the scene. I can't find the thread now, but I think it was entitled something like "What would you do?"

People were let down from that story because I ended up not fighting the guy. When I confronted him, he surrendered without a fight, right as the sirens started approaching. Now that I actually did have to use jiu-jitsu in a life-and-death situation, DrewFoster encouraged me to share the story with you all.

It seems particularly appropriate right now, because of something that happened on Thursday night, after I made the opening post in this thread. Instead of going to bed, I started drinking more and more alcohol at home, then decided on a whim to kill myself by driving to Pasadena and jumping off the Colorado Street Bridge. I was driving so fast towards the freeway that I lost control. My car hit the curb, flew through the air, and destroyed a pole.

The point is: life doesn't choose whether you are a hero or a villain. You do. We all have good and evil in our hearts, and the freewill to decide which one we will let triumph. I have done some very honorable things in life, but the other night I endangered the lives of everyone else in my community. It's a miracle that I escaped with my life and only had to spend one night in jail.

Another point I want to make is that beating another man in combat doesn't make you a good person. We admire martial skill, and rightly so, because it takes a tremendous amount of effort and discipline to develop. But it's sad that, even after elite fighters like Ryan Hall have spoken out against this fallacy, our society still innately affords so much respect and deference based purely on fighting ability.

Case in point: When I tell people my story from Moscow, they usually praise me as some kind of "badass." As soon as I felt the arm coming around my neck, my training kicked in. I grabbed a deep grip on the thick sleeve of the guy's winter coat, spun around and arm dragged him directly into a rear-naked choke.

The combination of adrenaline and alcohol gave me complete tunnel vision. It felt like I was watching myself, not actually controlling my body, but I could feel that I was squeezing the guy's neck so hard that it seemed like his head might pop off.

Suddenly, I realized there was a second guy sprinting towards me, screaming in Russian. He was maybe five yards away by the time that I reacted by letting go of my attacker, who dropped to the ground, completely limp. I started to raise my hands to surrender, but the second guy continued coming forward at full-blast, and I noticed his right hand was clenched around something.

I instinctively grabbed his wrist in a reverse kimura grip, and his momentum carried him over me, in what felt like the world's sloppiest fireman's carry. Instead of trying to break his fall, he used both hands to grip the unidentified object in his hand, so he landed headfirst. I heard a horrific noise, as his skull impacted the jagged corner of the curb.

There was blood everywhere, and he wasn't moving. Instead of waiting to see what he'd been holding, I ran like hell.

It sounds cool to use martial art to neutralize violent criminals on "the street." But the reality is that it was one of the worst experiences of my life. For a time, I thought the second guy was dead and that I might end up spending the rest of my life in a Russian prison.

More importantly, it was pure luck that the situation unfolded in a way that my martial arts skills were useful. If the first guy had just hit me in the back of the head with a hammer instead of trying to strangle me, I would be dead. If the second guy had pulled out a gun or done a better job concealing his knife, I would be dead.

The real lesson was that if you are a grown man who get attacked in public by a stranger, 99% of the time it's because you were acting like an idiot and needlessly placed yourself in harm's way. Instead of thanking jiu-jitsu for saving me in a life-and-death struggle, I should have blamed my drinking problem for putting me there in the first place.

Aw. Not sitch
: (

But welcome back 100%.

Crazy stories.

Now if only einarr would return.

Aw. Not sitch
: (

Way to bum a brother out. No love for 100%RichPolymath?

He is the Andy Kaufman to Sitch's Lenny Bruce.

He was the man who correctly predicted that Sokoudjo would beat Lil Nog, based on his "hair barrier," and bet $10,000 on the African Assassin

He was the world's greatest expert on the "transverse" heel hook and other exotic leg locks.

He was Ronin Modern, who beat up Gui Mendes and made him cry like an anus prostitute.

He convinced the world that Nick Diaz was going to Russia in exchange for shelter and beautiful women, until the Russian media actually interviewed an Olympic Gold Medalist to dispel the rumors.

He was the greatest jiu-jitsu philosopher since Ralek.

He once made a true medical breakthrough, revealing that triangle-proof mutants exist.

He flew to Russia and convinced Vladimir Putin to endorse Donald Trump.

And the whole time, he was obviously an alcoholic. :(

Last edited:
I knew it was you!

I missed you.

:)

Back