how legit is silver gloves us title

tekkenfan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
friend of mine whos a training partner o mine hes 9--1 as a pro atm 27 in 2003 when he was 11 he won the silver gloves us title and got second in it at 14 when he tried for i again curious how legit that is

If your asking how he won the title at 11 and than placed second, this age of boxers have been evolving since the 90's. So it's not impossible. Mike Tyson's said everybody meets there match sometime.

If your asking how he won the title at 11 and than placed second, this age of boxers have been evolving since the 90's. So it's not impossible. Mike Tyson's said everybody meets there match sometime.
Sorry man but sometimes I feel like you post just for the sake of it. Sometimes if you don’t have knowledge on a subject it’s ok to just not say anything

First, I will say I respect the work that anyone puts in, and a win is a win.

To answer your question, any ammy title is only as "legit" as the competition available that year. In the Gloves you may have to fight 3 bouts to become champion (Friday, Saturday, Sunday). You may have to fight 2 bouts. If the comp is low on contestants in your division you may only have 1 bout to win the title, even in Golden Gloves.

The level of difficulty all depends on who enters. Also, someone may not have a record but they've been fighting, sparring, and hanging out with boxers for a long time. They can enter these competitions, and present real problems for those who may have only a couple months experience prior to entering the tournament.

The difficulty is all relative. Silver Gloves is for kids, I believe it is under the age of 16 (don't quote me---that's off the top of my head). I know a kid who won Silver Gloves, and he is a little animal. He is legit, and the work he put in to winning was legit. So yeah, it's all relative, situations differ.

I thought Silver Gloves was just a regional championship, but seeing footage online and looking at Ringside's website, I guess you can go to Nationals in that category. You're friend is no slouch. Good on him for his success.

Last edited:
Sorry for another post, but here is something else to consider:

To win a National Golden Gloves title you have to essentially beat the champions from your division who are representing their home states. Whoever, you are facing at Nationals is already a regional champion. This elimination style tournament is held over the course of a week. You will fight most days of that week, it varies on which days you fight. Not everyone fights the same days, it all depends on how the brackets are handled.

Considering that Silver Gloves is a tournament for kids I don't know if their fight schedule will be as involved. Golden Gloves is a tournament that allows for a wider age group. If they follow the same format as National Golden Gloves, then the champions from each region (state) will face each other in an elimination style tournament to decide the National Champion for that division.

I have not been involved with Silver Gloves before admittedly, this is just from what I know off hand concerning National Golden Gloves. I can ask the guys at my gym how it works for sure. USA Boxing's website might provide some insight as well.

no i wasnt asking why he got second obviously he lost lol was curious how legit the us silver gloves was to say you won it

First, I will say I respect the work that anyone puts in, and a win is a win.

To answer your question, any ammy title is only as "legit" as the competition available that year. In the Gloves you may have to fight 3 bouts to become champion (Friday, Saturday, Sunday). You may have to fight 2 bouts. If the comp is low on contestants in your division you may only have 1 bout to win the title, even in Golden Gloves.

The level of difficulty all depends on who enters. Also, someone may not have a record but they've been fighting, sparring, and hanging out with boxers for a long time. They can enter these competitions, and present real problems for those who may have only a couple months experience prior to entering the tournament.

The difficulty is all relative. Silver Gloves is for kids, I believe it is under the age of 16 (don't quote me---that's off the top of my head). I know a kid who won Silver Gloves, and he is a little animal. He is legit, and the work he put in to winning was legit. So yeah, it's all relative, situations differ.

I thought Silver Gloves was just a regional championship, but seeing footage online and looking at Ringside's website, I guess you can go to Nationals in that category. You're friend is no slouch. Good on him for his success.
yeha we have a very very good boxing coach and all of us grew up doing at the same time 3 guy on our team out of like 9 won silver gloves another boxer won it at 15 he only did 1 pro fight and retired though i never competed in boxing as i was more concerned about mma were all same age his names charles dale very strong puncher he won the regional then went tot he nationals if i remember correctly

Eh, it depends. Kids they have to match up. by weight AND and age so depending on how many other kids there are in your bracket you might not have a long and hard journey.

Even highly skilled kids under a certain age tend to go in there and just wail on each other. 100+ punches in less than two minutes. You don’t see a lot of craft until they get bigger and older.

Back