How legit is Takeru??

FokaiMuayThai

MOO TAI LEGENDARY
@purple
Reaction score
I've seen a few of his fights, but i get the feeling he's being protected matchmaking-wise.

Where does everyone reckon he ranks on the world stage in current pound for pound listings as far as accomplishments?

Who can beat him at his weight class under K-1 rules?

He's fought and beat the best besides Tenshin and MT guys if you count them. If I could make any fight happen I would do Takeru vs Tenshin and the winner against Prajanchai.

Even in a talent-deprived sport like kickboxing he doesn't rank anywhere near P4P. As far as I can tell he's in a division that basically exists because of him.

He's popular because he's a Japanese fighter who is winning and because it's K-1, which makes it seem more special. That kind of combination attracts like moths to a lightbulb.

Last edited:
He is a classic "talk shit" but "can back it up" fighter with really exciting style. He also got big heart like in his last fight when he got spinning kicked to the nuts but kept on fighting until he got a kay-o.
His division is really thin and he has not fought many notable fighters esp. in his last few fights.

All I know is his fights are always dramatic and fun as fuck so I'll continue to tune in. I wouldn't be putting him in P4P discussions because of the opposition, but he's certainly a skilled Kickboxer and is still really young. Plus he has cool hairstyles and back flips.

He doesn't deserve P4P creds since there's basically nobody noteworthy in kickboxing at his weight. He's effectively building the division singlehandedly at this point.

I do give him some credit. Even though K-1 has done a terrible job of bringing in Thais at that division, he's still been matched against and wrecked a bunch of guys I would consider legit (Taiga, Whelan, Yun Qi, Ozawa, Terado)

I'm sort of a Thai sem-nuthugger, but I like Takeru. Nice technique, power and conditioning, tough fella and beating guys like Nobuchika Terado and Taiga is a bit harder than people seem to think.

I find K-1 still biased with Jap fighters. His weighclass is ideal for a lot of thai fighters but I'm surprised they don't bring a lot of them in k-1. I think they learn their lessong bringing the types of Bwakaw and other legit thai fighters. He's fun though but seriously his competition are decent not great.

Now he has conquered his third weight class and he didn't even look small. Also his fame in the West probably tripled because he was on TJ Dillashaw's Instagram.

I like Takeru he always puts on a good fight and shows amazing heart. I'd agree with Coca though, he hasn't really faced good enough competition to be considered one of the top P4P fighters.

Now he has conquered his third weight class and he didn't even look small.
This is another reason I've always considered him over rated. He is cutting 10+ pounds while fighting guys who are not cutting weight. It is why even though he keeps going up weight classes he is still bigger than all of his opponents.

This is another reason I've always considered him over rated. He is cutting 10+ pounds while fighting guys who are not cutting weight. It is why even though he keeps going up weight classes he is still bigger than all of his opponents.
That's really not his fault that his opponents aren't cutting weight.

Who do you guys think Takeru needs to fight to be considered good?

I'm sure he is considered better than good, but still overrated by most

Is he not considered good? For me, it's more about the praise and regard overload when stacked up to what he's actually doing.

Is he not considered good? For me, it's more about the praise and regard overload when stacked up to what he's actually doing.

winning three K1 titles and putting on putting exciting performances each time? 29 fight winning streak, working his way up to the posterboy of K1?

Takei isn't fighting in a deep division as well, and is regarded one of japans greatest because of the kind of permances he puts on.

winning three K1 titles and putting on putting exciting performances each time? 29 fight winning streak, working his way up to the posterboy of K1?

Takei isn't fighting in a deep division as well, and is regarded one of japans greatest because of the kind of permances he puts on.

What does winning a K-1 title mean? It's brand name but what else? Is it not obvious that the goal of K-1 is to identify stars and then grab miscellaneous dudes for them to fight?

Do people who have a grasp of Muay Thai care about Saenchai's current win streak and whatever titles he picks up along the way? No. Why is Takeru any different?

Back