How long does it take to fix APT? I'm getting frustrated/demotivated trying to fix it

Savant21

Blue Belt
@Blue
Reaction score
Ok so I've been lifting for roughly 2 years now with the goal of bulking but due to various things (bad form, shitty diet & most recently APT) I haven't made a ton of progress (I've gained weight, but it's mostly fat). I found out I have APT last year when I went to the chiropractor & ever since I've basically been doing the stretches in this video (including the "cat-cow" stretch & the glute bridge) practically everyday:

I've seen some progress made in my posture overall but it still affects whether I can lift heavy, particularly for Deadlifts. I've also been ensuring that my core is braced & my hips are forward when I sit. Here's two images of my posture for reference (took the first pic today & the 2nd last week):

I was having lower-back pain from doing the conventional DL & was suggested to try the Sumo. I tried pulling Sumo on a few workouts & was told my form was whack. The last workout I pulled sumo I kept the bar as close to my shins as possible but my lower-back started hurting on just the warm-up sets so I skipped the work set & have been on a downward spiral with going to the gym because of this issue (been skipping a few days & will be a week tomorrow since I've lifted).

I've made a thread about this & was suggested to do various exercises like Good Mornings, Front Squats, Glute Ham Raises, Romanian DLs & Reverse Hypers, etc. (I do StrongLifts 5x5 btw). Trouble is, I'm always pressed for time & don't have the time to spend 2 1/2 or 3 hours in the gym (I work 9-5 & my gym is 10 -15 minutes from home & my office. I'm usually in the gym for about 2 hours, get out around 8:30 pm).

My question is, did you guys just do stretches to fix your APT or did you make the sacrifice & did various assistance exercises after your work sets to fix this issue? Some YouTuber said the best way he fixed his APT was Reverse Hypers & not stretching. My gym's Reverse Hyper doesn't have a strap but the 4 pads where you put your legs through them & it's very unstable & not sturdy.

I'm just unsure of what's the smartest & most effective approach to rapidly resolving this issue is. I feel like stretching is good, but there's gotta be a more effective approach. It's absolute hell trying to make gains when having this issue & I'm unsure if I should just focus on fixing it & not Squat or DL. I have a strong desire to become stronger & athletic but this issue is very demotivating & having bad posture makes gaining any progress ridiculously tough. I feel like this issue is the biggest thing that's impeding me from making any gains.

Last edited:
Jesus don't ever post pics of ya rig again bra

Hip thrusts helped me most, but I also did a lot of mobility drills & had regular massages. It takes time, like a year+. You just gotta be patient, consistent, and work around your limitations at the same time as fixing them.

Also this

Usually it's a combination of several things that makes it better (and time).

Check this out and see if it's helpful: http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/127174165/

Try posting a video of your DL conv/sumo form if you're having trouble.

I tried making a similar thread on the Fitness subreddit but for some dumbass reason you have to have a specific post count in order to post there which is bullshit. I've seen similar threads there in which the OP posts pics of their sides for other posters to asses how severe the TS' APT is.

I figured posting those pics would provide some clarity into how severe my APT is. My bad. Idk if you have/had APT but it's absolute hell trying to fix it & make progress in the main compound lifts. I was just trying to provide as much info as possible so that I could get some suggestions on how to rapidly fix this issue.

Hip thrusts helped me most, but I also did a lot of mobility drills & had regular massages. It takes time, like a year+. You just gotta be patient, consistent, and work around your limitations at the same time as fixing them.

Thanks. It seems hip thrusts are analogous to glute bridges (which is what I already do in my stretching routine). Did you do the mobility drills immediately after your regular training program or did you take a break from training to focus solely on fixing this issue? What were your mobility drills?

I'm afraid since this affects the Squat & DL that I'll probably take a break from doing those lifts & just focus solely on fixing my posture & return to performing those lifts once my posture is fixed. I don't think I have severe APT, but I still get some lower back discomfort/pain when I do those lifts sometimes (plus I'm always paranoid about my posture when doing those lifts too, which makes it harder to focus on my form & actually lifting the weight).

Usually it's a combination of several things that makes it better (and time).

Check this out and see if it's helpful: http://forums.sherdog.com/posts/127174165/

Try posting a video of your DL conv/sumo form if you're having trouble.

Thanks. I'll check out your post on APT again. I appreciate your patience in replying to this specific post (I'm sure you recall me making a few threads on this topic). I sincerely desire to become as athletic & strong as possible, I just find fixing my posture/APT to be extremely frustrating. I'm surprised most articles/videos/books on beginning strength training don't explicitly say "YOU MUST HAVE DECENT/GOOD POSTURE OR YOU'LL HAVE LOWER-BACK PAIN/POTENTIAL INJURY & WON'T MAKE SIGNIFICANT GAINS".

Regarding the DL, here's the video of the last time I did sumo on a working set (before I hurt myself on the warm-up set for this lift).

In the sumo form dl check thread I made, someone said the bar still wasn't close enough to my shins (referring to that video.) A few fitness YouTubers have said that the sumo is better suited for lifters with shorter torsos & legs & that conventional is best for all other lifters (YouTuber Alan Thrall said IIRC that the conventional is overall better for non-powerlifters in general). I'm 6'2 with pretty long arms & legs (I'd say my torso's probably long as well but I haven't measured my limbs & torso yet). I'm probably gonna switch back to the conventional tbh.

Thanks. It seems hip thrusts are analogous to glute bridges (which is what I already do in my stretching routine). Did you do the mobility drills immediately after your regular training program or did you take a break from training to focus solely on fixing this issue? What were your mobility drills?

I'm afraid since this affects the Squat & DL that I'll probably take a break from doing those lifts & just focus solely on fixing my posture & return to performing those lifts once my posture is fixed. I don't think I have severe APT, but I still get some lower back discomfort/pain when I do those lifts sometimes (plus I'm always paranoid about my posture when doing those lifts too, which makes it harder to focus on my form & actually lifting the weight).

I did both at once (mobility + lifting), & I got most of my movements from Steve Maxwell's mobility series. Tbh I think the hip thrusts & massages (both from a therapist & self myofascial release) helped most though.

Re: back squats & deads, if they hurt do something else until you're ready for them. There are plenty of other movements you can use as temporary replacements. Split squats or box squats instead of back squats, hip thrusts/trap bar deads/zercher variations instead of conventional deadlifts. All of these variations will probably feel a lot easier on your lower back, but only you can know that once you've tried them for yourself. Experiment & you'll find something that works for you.

I
I figured posting those pics would provide some clarity into how severe my APT is. My bad. Idk if you have/had APT but it's absolute hell trying to fix it & make progress in the main compound lifts. I was just trying to provide as much info as possible so that I could get some suggestions on how to rapidly fix this issue.

Thanks. I'll check out your post on APT again. I appreciate your patience in replying to this specific post (I'm sure you recall me making a few threads on this topic). I sincerely desire to become as athletic & strong as possible, I just find fixing my posture/APT to be extremely frustrating. I'm surprised most articles/videos/books on beginning strength training don't explicitly say "YOU MUST HAVE DECENT/GOOD POSTURE OR YOU'LL HAVE LOWER-BACK PAIN/POTENTIAL INJURY & WON'T MAKE SIGNIFICANT GAINS".

Regarding the DL, here's the video of the last time I did sumo on a working set (before I hurt myself on the warm-up set for this lift).

In the sumo form dl check thread I made, someone said the bar still wasn't close enough to my shins (referring to that video.) A few fitness YouTubers have said that the sumo is better suited for lifters with shorter torsos & legs & that conventional is best for all other lifters (YouTuber Alan Thrall said IIRC that the conventional is overall better for non-powerlifters in general). I'm 6'2 with pretty long arms & legs (I'd say my torso's probably long as well but I haven't measured my limbs & torso yet). I'm probably gonna switch back to the conventional tbh.

Few things to note.

If you're only doing the stretches he's showing in the vid, it's likely not enough (a few of the stretches are not properly shown either). Seems like it isn't working for you. I touch on it in the other thread, but stretching is one thing, strenghtening is another, but being aware and having some sort of postural control is part of it too. Again, I'd suggest actually following it as I laid it out. It's only about 15 mins each workout, shouldn't be more than that.

I can see your ATP a bit on the Sumo lift video, but sometimes these things can be blown out of proportion. The link between postural "dysfunction" (that is a poor word because there is no perfect posture) and pain/issues is not clearly defined. Plenty of people with a variety of postures experience no pain. So whether or not that is the thing holding you back is hard to say with certainty.

It looks like you're having trouble keeping a neutral back at the bottom of the lift, it's actually flexing a bit (the opposite of what an ATP does). Would be interesting to check out how much hip flexion you have, which could be a limiting factor. At the top of the rep, I can see the ATP as your lower back is a bit extended.

For gods sake man, squeeze the glutes at the top of the rep. That is a key element to fixing the issue, both for the DL and Squat.

You have the same proportions as me, and funnily enough I have a hard time holding a neutral position at the bottom of both Sumo and Conventional, AND I used to have ATP as well.

If it hurts, don't do it. Try lifting from blocks, try Romanians with lighter weight and build up(less range of motion), try the trapbar, wait and see if it helps, or simply don't do DL's. Whatever works for you. It's not that important what you do, as long as you're getting stronger and staying healthy.

I have APT. I do some dead-bugs every so often. Never had any issue progressing in weight other than laziness, diet, inconsistency, not wanting it enough, not accepting the grind or not beasting up like a majestic lion

Try sleeping with a pillow under your knees. It causes you to have a neutral posture and the longer you are in said posture, the more often you will stay in it.

Also strengthening glutes and activating them regularly, stretching out hip flexors.

Also consciously standing with correct posture.

Try sleeping with a pillow under your knees. It causes you to have a neutral posture and the longer you are in said posture, the more often you will stay in it.

Also strengthening glutes and activating them regularly, stretching out hip flexors.

Seconded!

Lying down like this, with palms up instead (head support optional) for extended periods of time might also help you out and alleviate some of the lower back pain, especially if you're having trouble with extension (which is what ATP is). Key is belly breathing and relaxing into it:
backpain2.gif

I have APT. I do some dead-bugs every so often. Never had any issue progressing in weight other than laziness, diet, inconsistency, not wanting it enough, not accepting the grind or not beasting up like a majestic lion

That could be another factor. Yes APT is an absolute bitch & it sucks training with APT but just getting lower back pain/soreness from Squats or DLs isn't a good reason to take off a ton of time from training. Gonna have to do different Squat & DL variations & those stretches & strengthening exercises Sano posted. Consistency, drive, diet & embracing the grind & figuring out what lifts works best for you are key.

I did both at once (mobility + lifting), & I got most of my movements from Steve Maxwell's mobility series. Tbh I think the hip thrusts & massages (both from a therapist & self myofascial release) helped most though.

Re: back squats & deads, if they hurt do something else until you're ready for them. There are plenty of other movements you can use as temporary replacements. Split squats or box squats instead of back squats, hip thrusts/trap bar deads/zercher variations instead of conventional deadlifts. All of these variations will probably feel a lot easier on your lower back, but only you can know that once you've tried them for yourself. Experiment & you'll find something that works for you.

Thanks. I'm gonna have to experiment with those lifts & see what works for me. I've been stubborn honestly & have thought the only way to become stronger is to stick to the conventional compound lifts but that's obviously not the case since everyone's different.

Few things to note.

If you're only doing the stretches he's showing in the vid, it's likely not enough (a few of the stretches are not properly shown either). Seems like it isn't working for you. I touch on it in the other thread, but stretching is one thing, strenghtening is another, but being aware and having some sort of postural control is part of it too. Again, I'd suggest actually following it as I laid it out. It's only about 15 mins each workout, shouldn't be more than that.

I can see your ATP a bit on the Sumo lift video, but sometimes these things can be blown out of proportion. The link between postural "dysfunction" (that is a poor word because there is no perfect posture) and pain/issues is not clearly defined. Plenty of people with a variety of postures experience no pain. So whether or not that is the thing holding you back is hard to say with certainty.

It looks like you're having trouble keeping a neutral back at the bottom of the lift, it's actually flexing a bit (the opposite of what an ATP does). Would be interesting to check out how much hip flexion you have, which could be a limiting factor. At the top of the rep, I can see the ATP as your lower back is a bit extended.

For gods sake man, squeeze the glutes at the top of the rep. That is a key element to fixing the issue, both for the DL and Squat.

You have the same proportions as me, and funnily enough I have a hard time holding a neutral position at the bottom of both Sumo and Conventional, AND I used to have ATP as well.

If it hurts, don't do it. Try lifting from blocks, try Romanians with lighter weight and build up(less range of motion), try the trapbar, wait and see if it helps, or simply don't do DL's. Whatever works for you. It's not that important what you do, as long as you're getting stronger and staying healthy.

You're right, those stretches, while good, aren't enough clearly (sorry I didn't check your post out sooner, I was a bit stubborn & thought the stretches were enough). I just read your post & watched those vids regarding APT so I'm gonna implement them everyday & before each workout. Should help with strengthening the muscles & getting them loose.

Duly noted on squeezing the glutes at the top of each rep. Next time I squat & dl (regardless of variation) I'll have to post form checks to ensure correct form & ensure all muscle areas are activated as they should be.

Re: squats & dls, yeah I'm just gonna have to experiment & see what works. I've been a bit stubborn & have only thought that the only lifts that matter that enable one to become strong & athletic were the conventional compound lifts (since you mostly see the best athletes doing the conventional exercises & not different variations to get stronger) but like you said, it matters not what you do so as long as you're getting stronger & staying healthy.

I'm actually a side sleeper & regarding this, YouTuber Athlean-X (spelling?) did say to sleep in the fetal postion & with a pillow between your legs.

Yeah those stretches & strengthening exercises Sano posted regarding APT should help with glute strengthening & loosening the hip flexors. Standing with correct posture's gonna take some time but is doable, just gotta be conscious of it.

Seconded!

Lying down like this, with palms up instead (head support optional) for extended periods of time might also help you out and alleviate some of the lower back pain, especially if you're having trouble with extension (which is what ATP is). Key is belly breathing and relaxing into it:
backpain2.gif

Yeah I'm a side-sleeper but doing this for 5 minutes or so could help too. The Athlean-X YouTuber I mentioned said to sleep with a pillow between your legs if your a side sleeper.

Thanks. I'm gonna have to experiment with those lifts & see what works for me. I've been stubborn honestly & have thought the only way to become stronger is to stick to the conventional compound lifts but that's obviously not the case since everyone's different.

You're right, those stretches, while good, aren't enough clearly (sorry I didn't check your post out sooner, I was a bit stubborn & thought the stretches were enough). I just read your post & watched those vids regarding APT so I'm gonna implement them everyday & before each workout. Should help with strengthening the muscles & getting them loose.

Duly noted on squeezing the glutes at the top of each rep. Next time I squat & dl (regardless of variation) I'll have to post form checks to ensure correct form & ensure all muscle areas are activated as they should be.

Re: squats & dls, yeah I'm just gonna have to experiment & see what works. I've been a bit stubborn & have only thought that the only lifts that matter that enable one to become strong & athletic were the conventional compound lifts (since you mostly see the best athletes doing the conventional exercises & not different variations to get stronger) but like you said, it matters not what you do so as long as you're getting stronger & staying healthy.

I'm actually a side sleeper & regarding this, YouTuber Athlean-X (spelling?) did say to sleep in the fetal postion & with a pillow between your legs.

Yeah those stretches & strengthening exercises Sano posted regarding APT should help with glute strengthening & loosening the hip flexors. Standing with correct posture's gonna take some time but is doable, just gotta be conscious of it.

Yeah I'm a side-sleeper but doing this for 5 minutes or so could help too. The Athlean-X YouTuber I mentioned said to sleep with a pillow between your legs if your a side sleeper.
You can do them everyday, frequency is good, but don't make it too long. I'd recommend keeping it as short and effective as possible. Maybe do like a condensed version if you're going to do them everyday.

When you work out, if it's around 2-3 times a week, then you can do the whole thing for 15 min or whatever. I like doing corrective stuff much more when already warmed up and the body ready for it.

Anyway, keep working. It will get better over time, and don't overthink it. Also yeah keep the lift vids coming.

I remember being shown a few exercises to help my posture when I train and it only took the one day of doing the exercises to know what to do. The squat the biggest challenge. I was always over arching. Couple of deadbugs and I could feel the changes.

Back