how long should a fight camp be if you need to lose 10lbs (not cutting, just losing)

SpicyMayo

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
I’m doing amateur boxing, and want to fight at the 165lb weight class. It’s same day weigh ins.

Typically I walk around at 175.

Ideally I’d like to get down to 165 and not have to cut any weight since the weigh-ins are just a few hours before the fights start.

I have two main questions:

1) typically: if one wants to lose 10lbs, what is a typical time range of “fight camp time” it takes to do this

2) competitions That have weigh-ins just a few hours before fights start: how much weight do you advice cutting? (in the case you aren’t at your fight weight)

I’ve heard people say “don’t go past mild dehydration if it’s same day weigh ins.” I know that’s different for each person... but typically how many pounds would you say that is for someone around 165-175lbs?

Thanks Sherdog!!

5-10 weeks

5 being you lose 2lbs per week, and 10 being you lose 1lb per week.

For cutting (water manipulation) you don't want to go past 10% of your weight in water overall. So that would be 17.5lbs at 175. That should be the max, anything past that and you put yourself in hospital-bound territory.

I do cut a bit personally, and have done cuts on same day weigh ins, and I don't recommend it. Because of adrenaline, excitement, etc you'll feel 'fine' but really you never recover the same amount. I've felt that in test cuts when I'm not pumped with adrenaline. Even I rehydrated, I felt the sap from it.

Few hours? 1h = 2.2lbs

You Absorb 1l per hour. 1l is 2.2 lbs. Make the judgment yourself. If you have 3h, then you'll need to rehydrate 6.6lbs at the minimum.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThroughTheDakr
Back