How many competitions before your first win?

Nik123

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So just had my second ever bjj comp. Did better than the first comp in terms of aggression and staying power (2 fights, first was close and went the distance second one got subbed in 2 mins).

Haven't won a single match yet though.

Is this normal?

And how long did it take for you to win your first comp fight?

Is normal. I got.lucky and won my first. My buddy that used to go to tournaments never won. He was as good as me but he always did things in a tournament that made him lose. We couldn't figure it out.

I won my first two matches of my first tournament. I know people who lost every white belt match. They went on to becoming the number one ranked brown belt (ibjjf) at master 2. He's now my coach.

I won all my matches (5 total) as a white belt. My wins were four by submission, one by points. I lost for the first time as a blue belt, going 2-2 combined for the day after hurting my back in the first match. Both losses were to the same guy.

Last comp I did (still blue belt) I went 3-0 with two subs and one on points. Got my win against the guy who beat me in the previous comp at least lol.

I got gold in my first minor bjj tournament. It was only small and full of white belts with the same amount of experience at the time; however I already earned my black belt in judo quite a while beforehand.

Despite my judo and wrestling experience, I was very nervous as it was the first time competing under that specific rule set. I got a ko uchi gari; passed the half guard and got a kimura.

Damn so most of you guys were studs right off the blocks! <Moves>

Didn't you know that all of us sherdoggers are six foot 3 inch tall 270 lb of pure muscle 300-0 street fight record sex machines?

I have a story for you that might be inspiring.

I trained in HS and college at the same wrestling club. There was a chunky little kid there, not very athletic. Didnt have hardly any success as a kid, not a lot in HS either. I liked him, I liked training with him, I convinced him to go to my college.

First year, he trained his ass off. Worked hard, did extra with me. He went 0-24. He actually got pinned in a cheap tilt once. He went in the offseason, trained every day with me, did every workout I did. During the season the frustrations grew and built and I always told him to not get down, believe in yourself because you are doing everything right, and it will pay off soon. I was 100% positive he was going to be great based on his work ethic. I was an All American that year, he was something like 5-20, with his 5 wins coming in the last month or so of the season. He trained multiple times a day, every day, for 16 months before he got a win.

We transferred schools after our wrestling team was cut. I redshirted, he had a 15-15 season, did not place at nationals. Last season, Both of us All American'd, I broke my leg in the semi finals, he made the national finals against an absolute stud and lost. He went from 0-24 to 2nd in the country.

I started fighting, he followed me and we trained every day. Two years later he was in the UFC. Three years later he had wins over really good guys, gave Johnny Hendrix his first loss when JH was a force, and beat the shit out of Thiago Alves, and became a #1 contender. 0-24 his first year of college wrestling to #1 UFC contender. You know why? Because the work will eventually pay off, you just cant tell when.

I have a story for you that might be inspiring.

I trained in HS and college at the same wrestling club. There was a chunky little kid there, not very athletic. Didnt have hardly any success as a kid, not a lot in HS either. I liked him, I liked training with him, I convinced him to go to my college.

First year, he trained his ass off. Worked hard, did extra with me. He went 0-24. He actually got pinned in a cheap tilt once. He went in the offseason, trained every day with me, did every workout I did. During the season the frustrations grew and built and I always told him to not get down, believe in yourself because you are doing everything right, and it will pay off soon. I was 100% positive he was going to be great based on his work ethic. I was an All American that year, he was something like 5-20, with his 5 wins coming in the last month or so of the season. He trained multiple times a day, every day, for 16 months before he got a win.

We transferred schools after our wrestling team was cut. I redshirted, he had a 15-15 season, did not place at nationals. Last season, Both of us All American'd, I broke my leg in the semi finals, he made the national finals against an absolute stud and lost. He went from 0-24 to 2nd in the country.

I started fighting, he followed me and we trained every day. Two years later he was in the UFC. Three years later he had wins over really good guys, gave Johnny Hendrix his first loss when JH was a force, and beat the shit out of Thiago Alves, and became a #1 contender. 0-24 his first year of college wrestling to #1 UFC contender. You know why? Because the work will eventually pay off, you just cant tell when.
Rick story?

Didn't you know that all of us sherdoggers are six foot 3 inch tall 270 lb of pure muscle 300-0 street fight record sex machines?
lol @ that manlet status

6'5 300lbs 4% bodyfat
500-0 street fighting record
banned from teh UFC because too dangerous
benches teh 275 with 1 finger

checking in

lol @ that manlet status

6'5 300lbs 4% bodyfat
500-0 street fighting record
banned from teh UFC because too dangerous
benches teh 275 with 1 finger

checking in

I almost believed you till the 275 part. NO ONE can bench that much!

I almost believed you till the 275 part. NO ONE can bench that much!
Here's proof

p3mmSxL.png

After about 8 tournaments I had a total of one win. I eventually won a 4-man division when I was a blue belt and got promoted to purple the next day. I am 0-3 as a purple belt and I don't think I will compete again. But I did have that one shining moment.

Theres a difference between losing because of a skill difference and losing to competition anxiety. My problem is the latter, and I'm addressing it by focusing on more round robin format tournaments instead of single elimination tournies. Instead of putting all your eggs and energy in one basket/match, you have multiple chances and I think its a better representation of skill.

But to answer the OP, 3 tournies before my first ever win but that was when I was in the teen divisions, so 2 adult comps before my first adult win.

I was in the first gracie academy tournament at Torrence High School. Because I won I got my name in Black Belt Magazine. Jiu jitsu was all new

I will say right before I got my purple I did an in house tournament. I think everyone thought I was going to roll though it. I lost to this guy after I tripped over the mat going for a double leg, then I lost to another and then lost to a guy from my class that just got his blue and I smashed on the daily. Don't know what happened. There was a US open after that and I redeemed myself. Took second

Are you the same guy that want to lift weights instead going to bjj class?
With 3 bjj trainings per week you are not going to win bjj competitions, that sounds harsh but it's the truth.

Are you the same guy that want to lift weights instead going to bjj class?
With 3 bjj trainings per week you are not going to win bjj competitions, that sounds harsh but it's the truth.

Lol, yeah same guy. So you reckon 3 times a week bjj = no winning at bjj competitions? I came close to a bronze at my last comp training like twice a week though..

Lol, yeah same guy. So you reckon 3 times a week bjj = no winning at bjj competitions? I came close to a bronze at my last comp training like twice a week though..
Train 4 times and get gold.

I haven't competed in BJJ yet, I don't think I will either.

My first judo comp, I went 1-3. I fought two national champs and got absolutely slaughtered. Won my only fight of the day against another recreational guy and got through with sheer willpower. That was the day I realised I had zero competitive drive.

I've fought a few times after that, only to fill some slots. I've done well those other times, but I still loathe competing. I'm officially retired at 28 years of age.

Back