How many here actually know how to drive?

A dozen bullet points and no mention of apexing or rev matching on downshifts

I drive well, geez the stupid cunts in America don’t know how to though, they all drive on the wrong side of the road!

Do any Americans know how to drive? Don't you all drive automatics? ;)
only my truck is automatic.
my M3 and Cobra are 6speeds.

I have a lot of seniors in my area who come up to a stop sign and literally sit there for 30 seconds before moving.
drives me crazy. it's a brief stop, check all directions and then move your ass out of my way.
I'm terribly guilty of speeding though, I'll admit.

I'm spoiled by driving on the track I guess. No red lights, no coppers, no minivans with soccer moms, no one texting while driving.

I appreciate assertiveness when I drive. One thing I can't stand is the scared driver. They wont merge for the life of them, unless there are no cars within sight. These people I feel are more apt to cause an accident verses the speedsters.

13) Drive a manual car instead of an automatic one which is made for old people who don't know how to drive

Most old people learned to drive a manually shifted vehicle. Many on non synchonized transmissions. Young people think they're special if they can drive one. Manufacturers stopped selling them because they didn't want to warranty clutches when they started offering longer than 1 year drive train warranties.

I break #2 from time to time when it's safe to do so. If the stop sign is on an intersection with a clear view in all directions and there's no cars or pedestrians in sight, I'll slow the car to a crawl and do a final check to ensure that everything's still clear, then go through the intersection without doing a full stop.

The problem with not stopping is you get used to not stopping and eventually drive out in front of someone.

maybe if it wasn't so embarrassingly easy to get a car or motorcycle licence in the US the OPs issues wouldn't be so rife. Horrendously low standards set to get license in the US

Maybe some law enforcement officers can address this, a local LEO told me that he figures about a third of the drivers he has contact with don't have a valid license. He's pissed because the judges don't do anything to stop it. A local television station recorded a man in court for his 12 driving without a license. They followed him out of court as he got into a car and drove away. Some states take the car when an unlicensed person is driving it.

="IloveTHIS, post: 144844135, member: 364479"]I just got home from a short drive. It is absolutely pouring down rain here. Extremely dark and overcast with hella hard rain. Half the drivers didnt even have their lights on. Wtf. I guess they think "oh its daytime, zero need for headlights"

Many cars now have automatic lights and some of them might not come on if it's not dark enough. I see it more in snowstorms on high end cars like Mercedes and Lexus. The lights should come on with the wipers.

Maybe some law enforcement officers can address this, a local LEO told me that he figures about a third of the drivers he has contact with don't have a valid license. He's pissed because the judges don't do anything to stop it. A local television station recorded a man in court for his 12 driving without a license. They followed him out of court as he got into a car and drove away. Some states take the car when an unlicensed person is driving it.

I am not sure what your point is?

I paid $35 in California and got my car and motorcycle license in the same day. The testing standards are ridiculously easy that it is no wonder the majority of people are unable to drive proficiently. $35...drive around the block...boom heres your licence.

My road rage is too bad for me to be considered a "good driver".

I appreciate assertiveness when I drive. One thing I can't stand is the scared driver. They wont merge for the life of them, unless there are no cars within sight. These people I feel are more apt to cause an accident verses the speedsters.
Hesitation will get you killed on the road.

I drive well, geez the stupid cunts in America don’t know how to though, they all drive on the wrong side of the road!

We drive on the right side, you cunts drive on the wrong side.

Have you ever seen the ones where they wanna go right, don't turn their signal on, don't even motion their car to imply they're making a right, but get pissed (pissed as in their face looks like they're gonna get a stroke) at you when walking at your normal speed and act like you're supposed to roll the red carpet out for them? Funny shit

Yeh, that was the joke dude
damn, walked right into that one

I think I hate it more when drivers are inconsiderate to pedestrians. I was crossing an intersection last night and some person made a left turn onto the street I and several other people were starting to cross because he was trying to beat the left turn signal.

Not only did he piss off the people that were driving straight because he turned in front of them... he almost hit a pedestrian who was already walking into the intersection. The only redeeming thing that happened was the guy that he almost hit kicked the rear quarter panel of the car as it was going by.
I dunno what's in the water, these types suddenly get all the confidence in the world to do things they'd never do in person

I literally had my car written off last month because I chose to drive through a green light at lunch time. Best part the old man that T-boned me hit the horn rather then his break.

Expert driver checking in, and being able to multitask on my cell phone while doing 80 makes me even more expert...but I definitely throw my beer at anyone else I see texting while driving...

Exactly. I can handle it, but they can't... That's the difference.

Because on the road, I think maybe 5% actually know how to properly drive and it drives me nuts. Let make a list of what I consider knowing how to drive properly:

1) Always use blinkers.
2) Always stop at stop signs... not yielding, actually stopping.
3) Always stop at red lights when making a right on red.
4) Yielding when at a left or right turn light when the left or right light green light turns into a green for straight traffic.
5) Going a constant speed on the highway.
6) Not going around traffic on the highway by riding the exit lane until it ends and then cutting all the traffic off.
7) Not riding in the passing lane on the highway or the left lane in a two lane road unless making a left.
8) Not stopping in a traffic circle.
9) Not using a cell phone in any manner while driving.
10) Not riding with your blinker on for 5 miles.
11) Not using your high beams at night.
12) Turning your headlights on at night.

Because every single time I drive, I do all the above, but most other drivers do not at all.

It’s funny, I took a refresher lesson here in BC and I went to stop at a red before making my right turn and the instructor specifically told me not to and that if traffic is clear I can proceed without stopping first. I was like

{<huh}
<SelenaWow>
<YeahOKJen>

I don't think blind adherence to all the traffic laws makes one a good driver. A good driver can do blind adherence but some bad drivers can too. My mom is someone I would call a bad driver who would do all those things.

I am a very good (skilled) driver but will use discretion on many of those traffic laws.

It's not inefficient. What creates traffic is not allowing a flow. If two cars are driving the exact same speed in both lanes, it will create traffic. It happens on the highway all the time and on two lane roads. If everyone passes and gets back over, it allows a natural traffic flow.
Yup. I call it artificial congestion on the highways. Ontario is the worst for it as people drive in every lane side by side and even when the roads are relatively quiet all the traffic that is out there is in pods, clumped up artificially because the guys in the left lane won't move over and let traffic flow.

I will always break through a pod even if I have to be pushy and aggressive as they are dangerous. Roads are generally open and yet these people stick side by side for mile after mile.

<{clintugh}>

It's not inefficient. What creates traffic is not allowing a flow. If two cars are driving the exact same speed in both lanes, it will create traffic. It happens on the highway all the time and on two lane roads. If everyone passes and gets back over, it allows a natural traffic flow.
This 100000000%. The lack of lane discipline by most drivers is my biggest pet peeve in the world. If you are not passing, get the fuck out of the left lane. If there is someone behind you clearly going faster and you are holding them up, get the fuck out of the left lane the first chance you get. I don't care if you are going 60 in a 55 passing someone who is going 50, as soon as you clear the driver going 50 get the fuck out of the lane. I don't care if there is another driver going 50 300 yards up the road, get out of my way. I generally give people about 5 seconds of not getting over after clearing a car before I blow past them in the right lane, but yet by most people standards I'm the bad the driver.

This is why the autobahn would never work in the USA. Too many dumb asses that think they can sit in the left lane just because they are speeding.

Because on the road, I think maybe 5% actually know how to properly drive and it drives me nuts. Let make a list of what I consider knowing how to drive properly:

1) Always use blinkers.
2) Always stop at stop signs... not yielding, actually stopping.
3) Always stop at red lights when making a right on red.
4) Yielding when at a left or right turn light when the left or right light green light turns into a green for straight traffic.
5) Going a constant speed on the highway.
6) Not going around traffic on the highway by riding the exit lane until it ends and then cutting all the traffic off.
7) Not riding in the passing lane on the highway or the left lane in a two lane road unless making a left.
8) Not stopping in a traffic circle.
9) Not using a cell phone in any manner while driving.
10) Not riding with your blinker on for 5 miles.
11) Not using your high beams at night.
12) Turning your headlights on at night.

Because every single time I drive, I do all the above, but most other drivers do not at all.

I do all of that.

I do use my high beams on dark roads, though. That's what they're for.

Back