How many of you can do the Lion's Den tryout?

MrGroundgame

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Just curious how many people can do the tryout. There is no way I would be able to do it. Just curious if anyone could. It's pretty insane. To those who don't know what the Lions den is it's the training camp made by Ken Shamrock back in the day. The tryout consists of:
500 squats
200 push ups
200 sit ups
1.5-mile (2.4 km) run
Repeated runs up and down bleacher steps
Bear-crawls up steep hills
Lugging heavy barrels of water and sand bags up steep hills
The candidates who were still left at this point would then go on to do as many pull-ups as they can without stopping.
Candidates then went to the actual Lion's Den facility for several hours of sparring.

Not sure if they still do that. Shamrock posted that as their tryouts liyears ago.

Thanks for those videos. I read that they had changed their tryout but I wasn't sure to what. The original tryout is just pure brutal.

All from a guy, ken, who has tapped out from fatigue.

While I think it's important to test the will of those who claim they want to be fighters this particular method hasn't produced any great champion as far as I recall.
Posted via Mobile Device

While I think it's important to test the will of those who claim they want to be fighters this particular method hasn't produced any great champion as far as I recall.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is the most important thing. Ken Shamrock was great during a time when nobody knew what leglocks were, and his methods have proved useless during at least one season of TUF.

He's just dumb, any programming or technique from him should be taken with a grain of salt.

haha the old way of training, go til ya cant go any more short rest n repeat til completely fatigued

When I establish my elite MMA training school entrants will be required to stab themselves five times in the chest with a rusty shiv.

We will dominate.

When I establish my elite MMA training school entrants will be required to stab themselves five times in the chest with a rusty shiv.

We will dominate.

Pssssssssth, I'd give myself a scrotom tuck with a dull spork.

It's a test of will power.

I think they used this to test candidates. They wanted to know how serious you were. I'm not privy to their workout routines but I doubt they trained like this everyday.

I think If you passed the tryouts you got to have free accomadation food and training for a year. Whether or not you'd want to be part of the lions den is questionable.

How the fuck did Roy Nelson get through all of that, I wonder?

They probably only applied this ridiculous ordeal to the first few classes. After that someone smarter than Ken came in and realised you can't actually run an MMA school in which every trainee has blown out knees, torn labrums, acute rhabdomyolysis and lifelong PTSD.

What milano said. If you have the drive to make it through this then people will be more willing to spend time training with you.

They probably only applied this ridiculous ordeal to the first few classes. After that someone smarter than Ken came in and realised you can't actually run an MMA school in which every trainee has blown out knees, torn labrums, acute rhabdomyolysis and lifelong PTSD.

This x 1000

Not to mention to recover from something like this you would pretty much HAVE to be juicing. (Not fighter bashing since Ken recently admitted to being a lifelong steroid user). Just seems like an awful place to train where getting KO'd by a fresh guy when exhausted isn't just par for the course, it's an admission requirement. LOL

It's a test of discipline and willpower. Are you willing to do what I say and not ask questions type of shit.

Back