How many times have you loaned money to a friend but they never paid you back?

Sorry to hear that TS. That money is gone and you're not going to get it back unless you take the legal route which could cost you more money. I heard this joke from Dave Ramsey "what is the quickest way to to get rid of you brother in law........loan him $50"

I dont loan money anymore but I have in the past. You have to have the mindset that you're giving them that money and if thay pay back great if not no oh well. You have to have the mindset that you will not get that money back.

Its shocking how many people borrow money and dont have the integrity of pay it back. Like all the Americans trying to get out of their student loans.

In the late 1990's I knew an old man that I met in the nightclub I was working at (I'll call him Jimmy) who was allegedly an associate of some "less than honest" individuals in the 60s/70s in Las Vegas doing supposedly white-collar shenanigans, who was a regular and I got to know him quite well.

He told to me once:

"You can hand money to a friend with only one of two expectations, but not both."

1. You expect them to pay the money back.
  2. You expect to keep them as a friend.

That's it.

I've never loaned money to friends, but I have given money to friends.

Postscript: Jimmy (his real name Jimmy) wasn't an actual associate of or involved in any organized crime, he was just a degenerate gambler who would come in every Wednesday through Saturday at the bar I worked at, sat always on the third stool on the left and exclusively drank Cutty Stark (neat) and in between making my rounds we'd chit-chat about gambling and shit like that.

He would make-up that BS back story of himself because he thought it made him more attractive to girls and I mentioned that it probably didn't and he say:

"I'm fuckin' 72 kid! I've got to reduce the house edge somehow!"

Ol' Jimmy... I miss that fucker. (but I'm not drinking Cutty!)
Lol. Your post-script reads like a Scorsese monologue!

I read that in Ray Liotta's voice.

I'm kinda going through this right now. A very good friend of mine owes me $11k . I've been super patient with him. But we are well beyond the agreed upon payment timeline. It's now to the point where he tries to avoid me or kill the subject altogether. I showed up to his house in July just to try to talk and I found out he was hiding in the garage. People around me are saying it's time to go the legal route. But I'm not the biggest fan of law enforcement and courts. I've been more than patient with the man, but now I'm becoming bitter. I'm at the point where I feel like I'm never lending money again to ANYONE for ANY reason. Try to do good shit for people and they pay you back with a knife in the back .

A friend of mine got me about 10 years ago for the same amt. We did some business together and had loaned eachother money a handful of times.

A few checks bounced, he went MIA, I put him on notice and sent some goons to his parents house.

He called me up and apologized and gave me a sob story. I told him to get me the money when he can but I don't want to see or hear from until then. Haven't seen and heard anything about him since.

I'm not angry about it anymore but I also do well. Maybe one day he'll surprise me.

Loaned the same friend twice. Few thousand per time and each time hes was good, 50-100 back per week. He got a little note book wrote it down each week and we both signed.

I lend friends money all the time, it's a good way to see to get rid of them.

Back