How much did UFC pay fighters in 2016 ... (details inside) !

Details on how much UFC & WWE pay to fighters/wrestlers

UFC paid 17% or $119 million up from 13% & $80 million in 2015

WWE as comparison paid 8% (as many know I have said prior)

Details at link

-

PS: If you like the info I bring & always brought to SD, show some support HERE & HERE
What percentage of that $119 million went to Conor(40 million?) and what were the salaries for 2017? You know the old saying, if Bill Gates walks into a bar the average patron is a multi-millionaire.

What percentage of that $119 million went to Conor(40 million?) and what were the salaries for 2017? You know the old saying, if Bill Gates walks into a bar the average patron is a multi-millionaire.

2017 won't be out for at least a year
Every sport is skewed by highest paid players as well

i saw an interview of an old basketball player who said "did i ever tell you about the night Wilt Chamberlain and I scored 102 points?" lol

2017 won't be out for at least a year
Every sport is skewed by highest paid players as well[/QUOTE

Why do you go from what appears to be somewhat solid numbers to then making a ridiculous Conclusion like above? ... There is no comparison to a sport that pays one “player” potentially 25+% of its payroll, if that was the case Jimmy Garoppolo would be pulling in 750 million this year. The pay “facts” you provided show two things:
1) a league that grossly underpaid it’s athletes
2) most likely a single athlete grossing 1/3 of the gross Pay. Two Nate fights in 2016, I understand they’re just rumors, but I imagine 1/3 of the number mentioned is very plausible

You are nosy AF Frankie, always up in everyone’s business haha

Frankie, does UFC still pay fighters undisclosed lockerroom bonuses, similar to how Sean McCorckle famously elaborated on here? or did those get replaced with Reebok money?

he calls them "discretionary bonuses", and they are of course different than PPV points.

Yes, but they are two different non AC pay scenarios

1. Agreed to money that is not part of AC disclosed
2. Not contracted bonuses (apart from FOTN etc)

#2 has been less since Lorenzo sold

The two Diaz Conor fights in 2016 probably bumped up fighter pay 5 percent alone after their ppv points. Let's not act like that 4 percent increase was spread evenly across the board.

Long story short the UFC paid their fighters like dog shit and still pay their fighters like dog shit.

and it turns out spending 90% of your life on the road traveling around from arena to arena in your underpants pretending you're a "superstar" doesn't pay that well.
I approve this post. Rich getting richer. Those few that get paid a lot is where this increase is from.

Needs to be much higher imo, but it is increasing at a healthy rate.

In most of the more established league sports in the US, athlete pay is about 50% of total revenue. That number might be misleadingly low as well compared to the UFC because NBA players are employees, and all their doctors, trainers, coaches are part of league expenses. In the UFC, those significant expenses are all on the fighters and don't show in the UFC's numbers at all.

I've often thought that the UFC should subsidize those expenses as a way of increasing real income for the fighters. Of course the contractor vs. employee relationship would have to be redefined, but I think it would increase the quality of life for the fighters and all those support networks they need. And that could lead to a higher quality product.

Let's not act like that 4 percent increase was spread evenly across the board.

Long story short the UFC paid their fighters like dog shit and still pay their fighters like dog shit.

1. Why would it be better if fighter pay was spread out evenly across the board?
2. Fighter pay seems to be increasing across the board, although clearly at different rates.
3. The UFC is the cutting edge of rising fighter pay in MMA and had been for some time.
4. UFC should pay their fighters more imo, but calling it dog shit is melodramatic.

A fair number is 25%
UFC is still a growing organization that spends a lot to sustain or grow.
Major sports did not pat 20% in the first few decades either
25% is about an equal split of profit between fighters & UFC & that is fair IMO
This has been something you & I have discussed in teh past about taking UFC's gross numbers & then comparing the amount they pay to their athletes from that number.

Meanwhile, 100 mill went into building UFC corporate, god knows how much into 500 UFC gyms, the USADA program etc... so it's like you said... they are growing & spending money on the company to make it stronger.

I'd be more interested in comparing what the UFC distributed as profit to their investors over a year's time vs. how much they pay their fighters. The story changes a bit then.

2016 for example was 200 mill profit... then add the fighter pay to that which will represent how much they make before paying the fighters. 200 + 120 = $320 mill.

So out of $320 mill... they paid their fighters $120 mill. or 37.5%

Of course that could be manipulated by the UFC just making more expenses... & passing money under the table & stuff... but I'm just saying that the 17% of gross doesn't tell the whole story, especially when comparing it to other sports whos infrastructure is all ready established.

Last edited:
Thanks Frankie. Good work as always. Something I didn't know that you mention in your article: WWE had slightly higher revenue but less profit than UFC in 2016.

UFC grossed about $700 million and paid about $119 million total in fighter payments, or 17 percent.
During 2016, WWE grossed $729 million and the estimate is that it paid about $60 million of that, or about eight percent to the wrestlers.

i saw an interview of an old basketball player who said "did i ever tell you about the night Wilt Chamberlain and I scored 102 points?" lol
1336589137_desagana_diop_free_throw_fail.gif

Back