How much responsibility do you have for strangers?

We have a moral obligation to help those that help themselves or can't help themselves, but no obligation to those that won't help themselves if they can.

I think people are inherently okay with helping others. I think people have a problem when others dictate how much they “should” help others.

People should be free to do what they want. Compassion as a natural trait is not going away, so stop trying to force it on those who lack it.

Freedom motherfucker.

Most everyone wants to help people they believe need help.

The biggest difference is some believe people should be forced to help by the government and others believe you should only help because you want to.

Also you can't help a drowning person by letting them drown you.

0. I don't owe anybody anything. That doesn't mean that I don't help. If a neighbor needs help, I'll help them. If someone falls, I'll help them up. If someone needs help carrying something, I'll help them.

But I'm not obligated too. I completely disagree that we have an obligation to others. Should we help each other? Sure. Are we obligated to? Fuck no.

I would only donate money to medical research programs or something involving children. As far as other countries go, we shouldn't give them any money at all. All they seem to do is either steal or squander it. You hear about all these 3rd world countries saying they need billions in aid, fuck that, they need education and training and equipment if they really want to change things around.

Well I guess we're all different. I often wonder how my children would cope without a father. I'm a worrier!

If you would have asked me before having children what I worry about, it would have been fuck all. My responsibility and goal now is to ensure my children are safe, educated and life a happy life. Nothing else matters.
^This. Some people change drastically once they have kids. That paternal instinct is a motherfucker.

I believe in certain situations (like if you come across someone drowning, or someone in a bad vehicular wreck, or any number of other precarious situations) people should feel an internal obligation to help others. It's normal human empathy. Beyond that, the more someone reaches out to help others, the better, but I don't know if I would necessarily say anyone should feel obligated to. It's actually a pretty complex question to answer.

Back