How much Twitch streamers make

KaNesDeath

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score

What surprised me is the commercial ad revenue theyre making. One streamer i watch regularly is Lirik. As of late he's been playing a lot of ads during his gameplay compared to years prior. Now i understand why.

One thing i dont understand is how Amazon Prime give Twitch users a free subscription each month. With $2.50 of the Amazon Prime cost going to the Twitch broadcaster. Thats 1/6th the cost of an Amazon Prime monthly membership going to an outside source.

Another aspect of subscriptions i dont understand is that Twitch users can gift other Twitch users broadcaster subscriptions. When it comes down to how it works. I get the feeling this is people money laundering. Phantomlord was found to be using this method two years ago.

What surprised me is the commercial ad revenue theyre making. One streamer i watch regularly is Lirik. As of late he's been playing a lot of ads during his gameplay compared to years prior. Now i understand why.

One thing i dont understand is how Amazon Prime give Twitch users a free subscription each month. With $2.50 of the Amazon Prime cost going to the Twitch broadcaster. Thats 1/6th the cost of an Amazon Prime monthly membership going to an outside source.

Another aspect of subscriptions i dont understand is that Twitch users can gift other Twitch users broadcaster subscriptions. When it comes down to how it works. I get the feeling this is people money laundering. Phantomlord was found to be using this method two years ago.

It's interesting for sure, absolutely a premium, the user gets no real benefit, I almost think of a sub as a donation. Access to some emotes? Yeah, nice one.

For every shroud, chocoTaco, Lirik, summit1g, timthetatman, there are hundreds of people streaming with 1-20 viewers and not making a cent.

I do see it growing, but still don't fully understand how it's an industry at this point.

i watch a lot on twitch, but only use my prime sub, and have never donated or subbed otherwise for the reason facepuncher stated

More than anyone can imagine. Once you build an audience on Twitch or YT people just start throwing money at you on top of the ad revenue/subs.

Its kind of rediculous. 10 years ago I thought it was a stupid idea. Now i regret not jumping on the youtube boat.

i always thought everyone giving these people money are complete morons.

cc3.png

It's just like any other form of entertainment. There are a few at the top making mega bucks, a sizeable section of people making a living, and huge sea of people struggling to make it. Some people will be able to grind their way to the top, but most will not.

One streamer i watch is JasonR. A former CSGO Pro who mainly plays FPL. FPL is a third party MM service for CSGO where other CSGO Pros play for a monthly leader board prize pool.

JasonR averages somewhere around 1.5K viewers. Peaking at 2.5K on odd days. He has over 7K Twitch subscriptions. Something that makes zero sense in comparison to his average viewers.

7k subs, so around $20k a month on subs only. There’s people that get $1k per day in donations. It’s really a phenomenon.

One streamer i watch is JasonR. A former CSGO Pro who mainly plays FPL. FPL is a third party MM service for CSGO where other CSGO Pros play for a monthly leader board prize pool.

JasonR averages somewhere around 1.5K viewers. Peaking at 2.5K on odd days. He has over 7K Twitch subscriptions. Something that makes zero sense in comparison to his average viewers.
The ads are getting out of hand on a lot of channels. It's too much.

Speaking as a viewer, Twitch has been a dumpster fire since Amazon took over. Sure it may have benefited some streamers, but site navigation isn't as seamless as it used to be, and there's too much convolution in categories once they started allowing mundane IRL channels to show up.

Sort of interested in lower-end revenue.

Couple of people I follow average like 50 to 100 concurrent viewers during there streams and claim to do it full time (40-50 hours a week, not other job even part time gig).

They probably have 150-250 subscribers. Even with donations + ads there's not exactly killing it (maybe $16-24k a year ?).

Last edited:
Sort of interested in lower-end revenue.

Couple of people I follow average like 50 to 100 concurrent viewers during there streams and claim to do it full time (40-50 hours a week, not other job even part time gig).

They probably have 150-250 subscribers. Even with donations + ads there's not exactly killing it (maybe $16-24k a year ?).

It's not easy to build up to those concurrent viewers though, and probably even harder now then it was years ago before Twitch got really bloated. You will have an edge if you are a personal friend or affiliated with the streamer, and he/she can promote you, or you're a pro at a game. If you're thinking of striking it out as a parttime streamer, then I wish you good luck.

They rely more heavily on donations with subscribers being their guaranteed monthly income.

Damn, it makes me want to attempt to stream...

The ad revenue will be going up because even with Twitch Prime you still get ads now starting on October 15, 2018. You have to pay an extra $8.95 for Turbo now to avoid ads on channels that you're not subscribed to. I experienced this for the first time today and it fucking sucked. I turned off Ad Block on Twitch to make it quicker and easier to watch ads for bits. I might have to switch that around now. I'm mostly on channels I'm subbed to anyway, but it still fucking sucks when I'm not.

I think guys like Ninja have been rich for a long time and are obviously richer now, but even back in the day there were ways to get paid. Ninja was telling a story the other day about how back when he had a VERY loyal Halo fan base, he used to go out to get lunch while stream was still on and would run ads the ENTIRE time and a lot of his audience would stick around and wait for him to come back and the ad revenue was INSANE. I think a lot of their net worths are really underestimated.

7k subs, so around $20k a month on subs only. There’s people that get $1k per day in donations. It’s really a phenomenon.
FWIW, the standard sub rate is $2.50/$4.99 sub. However, the top streamers who have that many subs actually get a larger cut which is $3.50/$4.99.

While his total income remains under wraps (like his mountain of Twitch donations, which he gets every few seconds on stream), it’s easy to estimate at least one astonishing figure. 250,000 Twitch subscribers, at a rate he’s confirmed at $3.50 per sub per month, is an income stream of $875,000 a month just from that aspect of Twitch alone. Again, almost exactly a month ago, I had guessed that figure was $350,000, based on both a lower sub count at the time, and a lower $2.50 rate per sub which turned out to be an underestimate.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...wers-250000-subs-875000-a-month/#5480dea5478f

While this source is just about Ninja, I've heard from other Twitch partners who say that the bigger streamers get $3.50/sub instead of $2.50. If I had to guess, I was say it's probably each one who has more than 7k subs because that's where the sub number category tops off at and where the emote slot fills up at (maximum 50 emotes based on number of subs).

https://help.twitch.tv/customer/portal/articles/2348985

If you're ever wondering how many subs a streamer has, you can basically tell by how many emotes they have.

Back