how often did groin strikes occur in muay thai?

pantheist

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
Back when it was legal how often did fighters strike each other in the groin?I havent seen any old muay thai bouts with intentional groin attacks,is this because there was often mutual respect between fighters not to fight dirty? Why were groin strikes allowed in the first place if it just made it less competitive?

Erm I would say every other kick.... In Thailand there was this training method called Bang Tong Pook where the fighters would put a layer of sticky rice around their groin and let other fighters take turns kicking them in the groin. They say its a good way to strengthen the groin without the repercussions but I think that's bullshit. The training method today is banned in the big cities over superstitions of the growing population of lady boys but this still goes on in smaller country gyms.

Erm I would say every other kick.... In Thailand there was this training method called Bang Tong Pook where the fighters would put a layer of sticky rice around their groin and let other fighters take turns kicking them in the groin. They say its a good way to strengthen the groin without the repercussions but I think that's bullshit. The training method today is banned in the big cities over superstitions of the growing population of lady boys but this still goes on in smaller country gyms.
Should have called it the Bangkok method.

It is one economic alternative to vasectomy effects

havent seen any old muay thai bouts with intentional groin attacks
Here's one:

BTW, the idea of groin strikes being dirty is a Western notion. Elsewhere you did whatever it took to win. Thailand banned the technique because they wanted squeamish Westerners to accept Muay Thai as mainstream.

I was always under the impression groin strikes were illegal, ever since I began MT. It wasnt until recently on sherdog I heard it was legal. Where are you guys getting this information from? I searched myself, according to lumpinee boxing stadium rules, groin shots are considered a foul.

NOT muay thai but this is one of the worst groin strikes i've seen in kickboxing

Oh lord. Never forget the tragic groin injury that ironically cost him the win. :(

right? Noiri fell t o the floor from that one and it was a strike after the bell to add insult to injury. I'm sure Yuta didn't mean to do it though

right? Noiri fell t o the floor from that one and it was a strike after the bell to add insult to injury. I'm sure Yuta didn't mean to do it though

Yeah, complete accident, but my god, he chose to fight that extra round and lost on decision, when he could have won based on the previous rounds.

I was always under the impression groin strikes were illegal, ever since I began MT. It wasnt until recently on sherdog I heard it was legal. Where are you guys getting this information from? I searched myself, according to lumpinee boxing stadium rules, groin shots are considered a foul.

Teeps to the groin are tolerated, since teeping the hips is a basic technique, and it's very easy to miss. You wont be penalized for that, in Thailand at least. Same for the inside leg kick riding up, and "missed" knees. Now if you catch his leg and you throw a front kick to the balls... it's another story.

Back