How (often) do you train elbows?

roventu

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score

Probably KO of the year happened tonight. i dont even know how you'd train that in the gym, but its obvious if you dont train elbows you'd never think of pulling this off.

At my gym we do really basic elbow padwork, side elbows, up elbows, downwards elbows, in combination with punches. but it is very infrequent. Do you guys drill elbows and what is it like?

Every pad and bag session. Often on shadow boxing. And sometimes during clinch or touch sparring. But only with partners i know well.

Never.

I use long range striking, anything close range I body lock and work a sweep, duck under or head snap down as quickly as possible.

I don't play the inside fight game, not enough reaction time for my liking. Plus I have long arms that close striking doesn't too much favor.

Not too often. But every couple hard sparring sessions we always elbow pad up and elbow the shit out of each other

Never.

I use long range striking, anything close range I body lock and work a sweep, duck under or head snap down as quickly as possible.

I don't play the inside fight game, not enough reaction time for my liking. Plus I have long arms that close striking doesn't too much favor.

If you like long range fighting you should definitely train elbows as elbows are perfect counter to punches and knee fighters. More importantly elbows with long arms are deadly because of good leverage.

I love my right elbow as i can throw all of my body weight into it. Its the first strike that i do good when training muay thai and it came very naturally.

Padholders often told me they feel the force travelling through the pad up to their shoulders.

Now i have an injury in right shoulder, can not punch and elbow for the last 2 months aggggrr.

If you like long range fighting you should definitely train elbows as elbows are perfect counter to punches and knee fighters. More importantly elbows with long arms are deadly because of good leverage.

Hmmm never thought about that. My striking background is in boxing and Shotokan. At my current level I have a good understanding of distance with yoko geri (side kick) , mae geri (front kick), and mawashi geri (roundhouse or "spin" kick). My punches work off of straights. Even my hooks and uppercuts are long.

At what point or distance would you recommend throwing elbows? If they get my past my kicking and punching range? If they get too close my grappling takes over. I love the stand up clinch. What advice would you have? I'm not well versed in elbows so giving one or two moves would be a great place to start.

Probably KO of the year happened tonight. i dont even know how you'd train that in the gym, but its obvious if you dont train elbows you'd never think of pulling this off.

At my gym we do really basic elbow padwork, side elbows, up elbows, downwards elbows, in combination with punches. but it is very infrequent. Do you guys drill elbows and what is it like?

If I were at the post fight I would have asked him did he drill that move? I did not see the post fight and don't know if he gave an explanation. Is that move really a thing? It seems so bizarre that I would think he probably just saw an opening and responded. Wow lol.

If I were at the post fight I would have asked him did he drill that move? I did not see the post fight and don't know if he gave an explanation. Is that move really a thing? It seems so bizarre that I would think he probably just saw an opening and responded. Wow lol.

I know the move where you duck twist and hit with the far elbow but this guy hit with the near elbow

I know the move where you duck twist and hit with the far elbow but this guy hit with the near elbow

Lol if you watch it, the elbow looks like a fluke. His head was down and eyes to the canvas. I'm not taking away from his win but I have a gut feeling he may have lucked out big time with that.

Pretty much every session on pads as part of combos, and in free light sparring.

Something i've never really understood has been how the body mechanics differ between punches and elbows.

All of my elbows feel like they whip and the straight elbows lack power.

Something i've never really understood has been how the body mechanics differ between punches and elbows.

All of my elbows feel like they whip and the straight elbows lack power.

The body mechanics are pretty similar actually; a lot of the power is generated from the hip and circular motion of the body with weight behind it, and instead of stopping your strike on impact you just "go through" the target.

The only type of elbow I found awkward at first was the forward stabbing elbow like on this video:

But actually, the mechanics is the same as other types of elbows strikes, you just turn the hips and put power from the circular motion of the body (which to me wasn't obvious at first).

Understanding the anatomy and components of driving an - "Elbow Strike".

Listen to Sifu Phu...

Doing incorrectly you can blow your shoulder out or cause severe muscle strain in supporting muscle groups.

Also hard incorrect impact on joints without integrating the whole body as a translate of force outward

12118tn.jpg

tenniselbow-eng.jpg

Last edited:
The body mechanics are pretty similar actually; a lot of the power is generated from the hip and circular motion of the body with weight behind it, and instead of stopping your strike on impact you just "go through" the target.

The only type of elbow I found awkward at first was the forward stabbing elbow like on this video:

But actually, the mechanics is the same as other types of elbows strikes, you just turn the hips and put power from the circular motion of the body (which to me wasn't obvious at first).

I actually found that my punch mechanics improved after practising elbows more. They really make you engage your torso and hips.

Hmmm never thought about that. My striking background is in boxing and Shotokan. At my current level I have a good understanding of distance with yoko geri (side kick) , mae geri (front kick), and mawashi geri (roundhouse or "spin" kick). My punches work off of straights. Even my hooks and uppercuts are long.

At what point or distance would you recommend throwing elbows? If they get my past my kicking and punching range? If they get too close my grappling takes over. I love the stand up clinch. What advice would you have? I'm not well versed in elbows so giving one or two moves would be a great place to start.

Watch Carlos Condit vs Thiago Alves

giphy.gif

carlos-condit-thiago-alves-getty-ftrjpg_1cano4iwngcsl1fh1h0zh9xepg.jpg

Also look at Muangthai. Normally collapsing elbows coming off a frame work best for taller fighters, Jon Jones does it as well.

Understanding the anatomy and components of driving an - "Elbow Strike".

Listen to Sifu Phu...

Doing incorrectly you can blow your shoulder out or cause severe muscle strain in supporting muscle groups.

Also hard incorrect impact on joints without integrating the whole body as a translate of force outward

12118tn.jpg

tenniselbow-eng.jpg

He's quite right. Lifting up the elbow from the shoulder creates a massive telegraph too.

The greatest elbow fighter of all time Yodkhunpon demonstrates it in a very similar way:

Last edited:
Pads, very often, almost every session its covered. In sparring? most partners don't seem to have it, so I end up bringing my spare ones and we both use them. It's much less frequent though, maybe 1/5 of the time I end up including elbows as well

I actually found that my punch mechanics improved after practising elbows more. They really make you engage your torso and hips.

Watch Carlos Condit vs Thiago Alves

giphy.gif

carlos-condit-thiago-alves-getty-ftrjpg_1cano4iwngcsl1fh1h0zh9xepg.jpg

Also look at Muangthai. Normally collapsing elbows coming off a frame work best for taller fighters, Jon Jones does it as well.

He's quite right. Lifting up the elbow from the shoulder creates a massive telegraph too.

The greatest elbow fighter of all time Yodkhunpon demonstrates it in a very similar way:

Oh wow. Thanks for that. I'm getting ideas on how to incorporate already. One thing I always had an issue with is smothering my punches when getting too close. I would do whatever was needed, whether it be duck and pivot out, or high guard and back pedal to regain my distance. With the way these guys are applying elbows in the examples you gave, I might be able to develop a new strategy. Appreciate it.

Back