How (often) do you train elbows?

Most of the "real" MT gyms I've been train elbows daily... Like others said, part of combos on the pads, or during personal time on the bag or shadow, and just the movement during clinch work. Usually it's rare to train them on sparring... You can make the movement when you have an opening, but i do it only with experienced ones. Beginners may think its an invitation to trade them for real.

I actually found that my punch mechanics improved after practising elbows more. They really make you engage your torso and hips.

The only punch I'm proud of, when i do boxing, is the short hook. And I'm pretty sure it's because of my experience with elbows.

Oh wow. Thanks for that. I'm getting ideas on how to incorporate already. One thing I always had an issue with is smothering my punches when getting too close. I would do whatever was needed, whether it be duck and pivot out, or high guard and back pedal to regain my distance. With the way these guys are applying elbows in the examples you gave, I might be able to develop a new strategy. Appreciate it.

No problem! Smothering punches is an issue I have on the bag. The elbows will be perfect for you. You may find them a bit tricky to land at first because hand-elbow co-ordination isn't first nature to most people but with time you'll get it easy. Definitely worth taking a look at Thomas Almeida (MMA) and Nathan Corbett (Muay Thai), because they are the best at boxing with elbows in their respective sports. They will actually slip punches and throw elbows.

You can make the movement when you have an opening, but i do it only with experienced ones. Beginners may think its an invitation to trade them for real.

The only punch I'm proud of, when i do boxing, is the short hook. And I'm pretty sure it's because of my experience with elbows.
Let them bang

Back