How often do you train? No BS

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
How many times do you grapple in a week?

What is your current skill level on a scale 1-10? 1 being a complete newb, and 5 being proficient and 10 being world class.

What are your goals?

When did you start training in grappling? How old are you now?

What other forms of physical activity do you do?

Trying to get an overall assessment of what the average guy here follows. Please just be truthful, just trying analyze routines and plan for myself. Here's mine.

1. Haven't been grappling, been working on striking and strength training.

2. 4

3. Atleast an amatuer MMA fight. I love grappling, but I am not pursuing competitive BJJ. Want to get back into grappling whenever I hit my strength goals.

4. I wrestled for a few years when I was younger, but the first time I ever did anything submissions related I was about 13. Didn't stay with it consistently and have been intermittently doing it ever since. I am now 23

5. I lift heavy 3x a week. Work a physical labor job. Bag work a few times week, but for now I am focusing on getting stronger.

Last edited:
1. Fluctuates a lot, right now I am blessed to get 5 classes in a week, but only because exams are finished and im waiting for my girlfriend to finish her program before we head home. Still I try to get a minimum of 3-4 classes In a week, but in the summertime with work I am lucky if I get 2 times in.

2. 3? I'm a 4 stripe whitebelt but everyone tells me I should have been promoted sooner, not sure what number is accurate.

3. To push myself as far as I can, whether that's competing or eventually some mma fights. I'm young in a community of older people and they all talk about losing a fire to push themselves and wishing they had done more when younger so I don't want to make that mistake. I want to see how far I can take myself.

4. Started when I was 18, and I'm 22 now. It'll be 4 years in October.

5. Other physical activity fluctuates greatly. I do muay thai when I can, but never advertise that because ive never been consistent like I am with jiu jitsu. I also fluctuate with the gym, sometimes go through a couple months where I get at least 3x strength training in, but I'll take just as much time off.

Wednesday and Thursday night for about 2 hours each night.

1) around 5x. 3x judo and 2x bjj right now. Sometimse 6 if I can get to wrestling practice.
2) 8. I can get gold/silver in most judo competitions and medal in bjj competitions.
3) Compete anywhere. Possibly try out for international competition. I still am quite young, so why not.
4) 22. I started sports around age 9. wrestling at 9, judo at 12 (I gave up on wrestling a bit) and bjj at 16.
5) I have boxed a little bit, wrestled for quite a long time and trained sambo part-part-time. I go to the gym and workout 3x per week (in morning)

3-4 times a week 3 bjj 1 judo
Just to be able to keep doing this and still enjoy it
Started wrestling at 9 judo at 14 bjj at 22. I’m 34
I have 2kids this is my only form of anything that I have time to do

in my 40's, purple belt, married with 2 kids in college. i train 5 days a week. previously had high school and collegiate wrestling experience before I started BJJ in my mid 30's.

I train grappling 3-4x a week, striking another 3 and lift or run 3-4x. I've been training in grappling since 2000 with a significant injury related break between 2006 and 2009/10. On a scale of 1-10, I'd say I'm around a 7 or 8. I do fine or better with normal black belts, if you roll me up you're probably a nationally or internationally competitive grappler. I'm 36, my serious competitive days are coming to a close, I'd like to fight MMA once before I stop focusing on competition. Getting ready for that MMA fight has been my main training goal for the past year or two.

What is your current skill level on a scale 1-10? 1 being a complete newb, and 5 being proficient and 10 being world class.

What are your goals?

Trying to get an overall assessment of what the average guy here follows. Please just be truthful, just trying analyze routines and plan for myself. Here's mine.

2. 4

3. Atleast an amatuer MMA fight. I love grappling, but I am not pursuing competitive BJJ. Want to get back into grappling whenever I hit my strength goals.

4. I wrestled for a few years when I was younger, but the first time I ever did anything submissions related I was about 13. Didn't stay with it consistently and have been intermittently doing it ever since. I am now 23

5. I lift heavy 3x a week. Work a physical labor job. Bag work a few times week, but for now I am focusing on getting stronger.

1) I train 4 - 5 times a week. However, I tend to roll only 2-3 times at the end of each class. Rest is just technique. Exception is one day a week which is 45 minute straight rolling only.

2) I'm a blue belt, so I guess a 2? I don't know hard to tell. I'm strictly middle of the pack where I train.

3) my goal is to stay fit and in shape and be able to hold my own in a self defense situation. Sport BJJ is fun but not my priority, even though I do compete.

4) I started training late, at 34, I am 36 now.

5) I dont do any other form of training or exercise besides BJJ. Honestly I just don't have the time with a wife, two kids etc

1) I train 4 - 5 times a week. However, I tend to roll only 2-3 times at the end of each class. Rest is just technique. Exception is one day a week which is 45 minute straight rolling only.

2) I'm a blue belt, so I guess a 2? I don't know hard to tell. I'm strictly middle of the pack where I train.

3) my goal is to stay fit and in shape and be able to hold my own in a self defense situation. Sport BJJ is fun but not my priority, even though I do compete.

4) I started training late, at 34, I am 36 now.

5) I dont do any other form of training or exercise besides BJJ. Honestly I just don't have the time with a wife, two kids etc
Keep going in the end you are winner just don't drink alcohol

I grapple 4-5 times per week. I'd say my skill is maybe a 7. I've been a brown belt for a few years and I'm not a hardcore competitor but I'm more than a hobbyist. I'm 34 right now and I started grappling at 21. I started BJJ after doing a lot of other martial arts. My goals were just to get good enough to not be terrible and I knew I didn't want to go back to TMAs. As far as other physical activities I lift weights 3 days per week (mostly compound lifts like deadlifts and squats) and at home I do some resistance band work.

Playing soccer all my life. 3500 times I hit ball with legs and didn't touch ground then I stop. I was the best but after I stop drinking alcohol 2015 soccer start be boring and I start training MMA March 2016 28 years old. Monday Wednesday Friday running other stuff Conor done in training and 5 minute 5 rounds on bag. From summer 2017 training boxing only on heavy bag Monday and Friday and speed bag Wednesday and other stuff hammer training jumping rope... Never drink alcohol

I train 4-5 times a week usually. I am 38 and started training bjj in 2012 when I was 32. I think I am probably a 5 out of 10 if I am honest with myself. My goal is to stay relatively healthy and in shape. Going to a regualr gym is really boring to me. I try to lift weights once a week. Sometimes I am too sore and I don't make it.

I train bjj 1-3 times per week now. My kids are heavy in sports and I got sucked into coaching, so its limited for at least the next month or so.

Skill wise- probably a 6 - 6.5. I'm a brown belt and can hang with hobbyist black belts, but the regional level is above me.

My goals are to get healthy and continue training so I can earn my black belt in the next 2 years or so. I will not allocate the time available to justify any significant competitive goals. My goal is to be a solid hobbyist black belt who is still training 30 years from now.

I've been doing martial arts since I was 6. I'm almost 40 now. I started bjj in 1999- learning out of a book with a group of guys at my martial arts club in college. I started formal bjj classes in 2010.

I try to get a light lifting workout (still rehabbing several injuries) in 2 days a week, but realistically its been 0-1.

What are your goals?

2. 4

#'s per week: 3 or 4, depending on what the baby and wife allow.

Skill level: Recreational black belt. I doubt I'm anywhere close to world class, so I guess a 5.

Goals: I don't really know. Keep going? I've never really been a standout competition star, so my priorities aren't there. I'm also going to be in the Masters age bracket within a few months, which is bizarre. Not really interested in opening a gym, as the best a no-name grappler will be pulling in isn't enough for my fam to subsist on. When I was a young man I used to think I'd be a full time grappler when I grew up, but now that the window is passing, I'm having to accept that it's more of a hobby than anything else. Life's hard, yo.

Start training/how old: Started training when I was 13. It's been 16/17 years, but training as a kid is kind of a wash so I don't know how much of those years should be counted. Still weird to think about.

Other activities: I do Yoga to try and supplement my broken body, but I'm pretty sketchy. I lift, as it's something I can do quickly and move on. Otherwise work and family take up the rest of the time.

1. I stopped training 7 months ago. I took a much needed break. When I was training consistently over the years I trained 2x a week.

2. I would rate my ability as a 5. I'm a low level blue.

3. I train more for self defense. I don't follow sport BJJ or MMA that closely, but I'm aware of who's who of that world. My new goal is to become a high level blue/get my purple belt when I continue training again.

4. I started training in BJJ at 28 in 2011 with no previous martial arts or athletic background. I'm 35 now. Guys in their late teens and early 20s should definitely take advantage of their youth and free time to train as much as possible and get good fast. I wish I had that opportunity in my early 20s.

5. I hate working out. When I did work out it was probably 2 or 3 times a week doing cardio, weights, and calisthenics. But I'm not working out at the moment and probably gained like 30-40 pounds.

1. I train about twice a week. Usually about 2-3 hours per session.
2. I guess I rate myself a 5. I've been a purple belt for a while now and have a pretty decent idea of what I'm doing. At the same time I know the difference in talent between people who devote their lives to BJJ and me is astronomical.
3. My goals are to get as good as I can in the short amount of time I have to grapple, have fun, stay healthy, hopefully have a good base of self defense just in case I ever need it.
4. I started training when I was 22 (I had a handful of classes when I was younger ~20, but didn't have the money at the time to actually train). I trained pretty frequently for my first year and a half of training, then I got married at 23 (bad idea if you want to get good at jiu jitsu, but I still like her so I'll say it was worth it). I'm now 29.
5. I like to surf and bodysurf to stay active. I do random bodyweight stuff pretty frequently, but not super seriously. The last couple of weeks I've been messing around with some youtube yoga (shoutout to yoga with tim).

I roll 2-3x a day 4 days Monday-Thursday.
1 or 2x on Friday. 1 on Saturday. Once on Sunday.
I am retired from fighting, so I spar 1-3x a month.

Back