how often should a new student i.e 1 month spar

eng236

White Belt
@White
Reaction score
would just 2 times a week be good. I train 6 times a week. 4 days doing bag + mitt work 5 days doing bjj and 2 of those days we usually do free sparring.

Depends in the intensity, and with who...
Very light with other beginners, light to medium with experienced people...

More than light with other beginners will often lead to ego wars, with no control... Hard sparring against experienced guys will lead to injuries...

This should slowly change with time, and in preparation for the first fight... 1 month is nothing.

Depends in the intensity, and with who...
Very light with other beginners, light to medium with experienced people...

More than light with other beginners will often lead to ego wars, with no control... Hard sparring against experienced guys will lead to injuries...

This should slowly change with time, and in preparation for the first fight... 1 month is nothing.
well I used to do kickboxing and bjj as a kid from the ages of 8-13. parents ran out of money and now that I'm 18 I got back at it. technically been training again for 4 months but switched gyms recently

If you are 1-month in you shouldn't be sparring at all. Pad work, conditioning, and pairing drills should be the only thing you are doing.

would just 2 times a week be good. I train 6 times a week. 4 days doing bag + mitt work 5 days doing bjj and 2 of those days we usually do free sparring.
Well, this is more suited to the stand-up sub-forum.
I would say:
Light sparring 4 times a week at least (i.e: every training session).
Heavy sparring... hmm... probably after the 2-3 month mark, and only with guys on your level.
I can’t stress enough how important it is to have multiple sparring partners, with all of them near your skill/experience level. When I first started out in combat sports (it was boxing about 4-5 years ago), it was at a very serious amateur gym. I went with a few friends, all of whom were national team members and accomplished competitors. When I sparred with them, 95% of the time it was pretty light (otherwise I’d have CTE by now xD).
However, the most major improvement I made was when I left that gym (a year later) due to trouble with the trainer and started boxing and kickboxing in another place. There, I started sparring hard often for the first time with guys at my level, and both my defensive and offensive acument sky-rocketed.
So for now, stick to light sparring every training session. Go for speed, but not power when you spar.
In a month or two, find a few guys you know to not be meatheads and who can control themselves, get a good headguard and 16oz gloves and go at it a bit harder. In time, you can substitute the light sparring with heavier sparring like so:
2-3 days mitts, bags and light sparring.
1-2 days mitts and hard sparring.
^^(Pretty much what I’m doing atm, and I’m improving constantly like this).

There’s no right answer man, depends largely on the crew your training with. If you’re in there with guys that are willing to work with you and it’s not a gym war then 3 to 4 times a week is what I would do. That’s assuming you can maintain the integrity of your technique.

if youve only been there a month then you should focus on sharpening your skills before you try and increase the amount of sparring you are doing..... at this point you wont really gain much by sparring since you are inexperienced. give it a couple months then focus more on your sparring. Drill, drill and drill some more. hit the bag/pads as much as possible.

if you do increase your sparring make it light technical sparring, no point in taking damage whilst you are unable to properly defend yourself

1 month in just be focusing on getting the basics and the fundamentals right, and your technique

Bad habits picked up at the start of your time in the sport can become very hard to get rid of a while down the road

If you are doing any sparring it needs to be very light and controlled, so that you are actually putting into practice what you are learning on the pads etc

No use trying to keep technique tight and sharp on the pads, then losing it in sparring by trying to fight beyond your means

Take your time, hone the bare bones of the sport and get your technique tight before sparring, then as you can feel more comfortable and more balanced and more like a proper fight, spar and up the intensity as you make improvements

And when sparring , relax, don't tense up and be coiled up , be relaxed and loose and read your opponent, anticipate his next move as best you can and try and think ahead

All the best

You should train 3-6 months before sparring. The 1 month beginners will come to a spar as street fighters.

Back