How Over War the Rock? This Over.

luckyshot

Nazi Punks Fuck Off
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Just your daily reminder that it used to be sooooooooooooooo much better.

If case you didn't notice, every motherfucker in that place was standing. For the whole damn promo.

Compared to:

Lol. @ 1:30

"It feels good to hear that, thank you."

Hear what? I heard fookin nuthin.

Last edited:
Rock should have won at Wrestlemania 2000

He was over, but he was much of what made 12 year old me stop watching.

Roman Reigns charisma is drier than mother Theresa's vagina. He's absolutely awful on the mic.

That Rock promo LuckyShot posted Is as good as a promo gets. Only certain guys are that good (steve, rock, hogan, flair, Randy savage, Jake Roberts, Dusty) and usually they lead the company.. not a bore like Reigns.

Why did The Rock make you quit watching?
I don't know if it was entirely him. But, he was indicative of the problem. To 12 year old me, wrestling had just become dudes walking out to the ring and saying catch phrases, which the crowd would try to mimic.

To 28 year old me, it seems to have been a good call!

Roman Reigns charisma is drier than mother Theresa's vagina. He's absolutely awful on the mic.

That Rock promo LuckyShot posted Is as good as a promo gets. Only certain guys are that good (steve, rock, hogan, flair, Randy savage, Jake Roberts, Dusty) and usually they lead the company.. not a bore like Reigns.

Let’s take into consideration an old Hogan still won the Toronto crowd over Rock actively at his peak. That’s a true testament of how epic Hogan was. How I see it as time passes; you had in-ring masters like Bret, you had mic/self promotion masters like Shawn, Rock, no one quite combined the whole package together like Hogan, Stone Cold did.

Albeit point taken Reigns is not in the same pedigree as the others.

latest

Let’s take into consideration an old Hogan still won the Toronto crowd over Rock actively at his peak. That’s a true testament of how epic Hogan was. How I see it as time passes; you had in-ring masters like Bret, you had mic/self promotion masters like Shawn, Rock, no one quite combined the whole package together like Hogan, Stone Cold did.

latest

I love Bret Hart, he’s one of top 3 favorites. He’s one of the best workers ever. Yet he isn’t on he list of good mix workers.

Hogan is a legend. The fans love him

Don't tell me about what is OVER, BROTHER. Loudest and longest straight standing ovation in history. I believe it was 9 mins straight, Hogan couldn't get a word in

Last edited:

latest

You think Hogan was a good worker? He had the same match with everyone he faced during his Hulkamania run. Hogan was the right guy for the era when wrestling was being taken national, but he wasn't known for being a worker.

Hart is much closer to being a complete guy than Hogan was. I would say Austin, Rock, and Angle are probably the most well-rounded guys in modern history of the business. They all gimmicks that fit their personalities that got over, had the look to match, were great on the mic, and could work their asses off.

Last edited:
You think Hogan was a good worker? He had the same match with everyone he faced during his Hulkamania run. Hogan was the right guy for the era when wrestling was being taken national, but he wasn't known for being a worker.

Hart is much closer to being a complete guy than Hogan was. I would say Austin, Rock, and Angle are probably the most well-rounded guys in modern history of the business. They all gimmicks that fit their personalities that got over, had the look to match, were great on the mic, and could work their asses off.
You are confusing the term worker with wrestler.

Hogan was never a great wrestler but was a good wrestler, good enough considering his size and the time frame he wrestled in as well as his audience. Hogan knew he had to wrestle a style that would prolong his career when he was on top. When he wrestled in Japan, you could see alot more of Hogan's actual wrestling ability. He chose to wrestle like that because he could and it worked in the WWE.

Back to saying Hogan isn't known as being a good worker; that's where the term worker is often misused by most wrestling fans. Most say worker and when they say worker, they mean wrestler. You can be an average wrestler yet a superb worker and that's your Hogans of the world. Break down the lingo, the word worker. It comes from the term WORK which means to deceive your audience or make them believe what you want them to believe and that's where the all time greats shine; it's not necessarily just in-ring wrestling and athletic ability, but the ability to draw emotion out of the crowd or the ability to WORK a crowd.

So while Hogan can be considered an average in-ring wrestler or talent, his ability to work the crowd was second to none and that's why he's universally considered as a great worker but not necessarily a great wrestler.

The ones I tend to enjoy most are those that are great wrestlers and great workers but with that said, the guys that draw the most money are usually the great workers.

TL ; DR

Great wrestler = varied moveset, actual in-ring skills and athleticism (Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, Dolph Ziggler etc)

Great worker = can work a crowd and have them in the palm of their hands (Hogan, Sting, Austin)

Last edited:

latest

Hogan is GOAT pro-rassler. Others had better in ring work, mic work, charisma, hell character, loyalty and respect for others ...but there has never been a Hogan.

People cried when he turned heel, people threw garbage into the ring, it was insane. All of a sudden cheering the heel was cool, because of Hogan. Thats how much people cared about Hogan.

I love Bret Hart, he’s one of top 3 favorites. He’s one of the best workers ever. Yet he isn’t on he list of good mix workers.

Hogan is a legend. The fans love him
Bret was way better on the mic than people give him credit for. He’d have the most heat in the WWE today. He might have stumbled over words, but his psychology was great, and he actually made you give a fuck about conflicts.

Miz is the only one who isn’t dogshit on the mic today. Probably because in the indies they rarely shoot angles and just learn to be spot monkies.

Last edited:
Bret was way better on the mic than people give him credit for. He’d have the most heat in the WWE today. He might have stumbled over words, but his psychology was great, and he actually made you give a fuck about conflicts.

Miz is the only one who isn’t dogshit on the mic today. Probably because in the indies they rarely shoot angles and just learn to be spot monkies.

Bret got Bette throughout the years. He was very much improved but he still isn’t as natural as say Piper or Dusty on the mic. Bret was a great heel tho

Bret's promos are underrated. Especially his heel work. He pawns Shawn and Trips here with ease.

Hogan was never a great wrestler but was a good wrestler, good enough considering his size and the time frame he wrestled in as well as his audience. Hogan knew he had to wrestle a style that would prolong his career when he was on top. When he wrestled in Japan, you could see alot more of Hogan's actual wrestling ability. He chose to wrestle like that because he could and it worked in the WWE.

Back to saying Hogan isn't known as being a good worker; that's where the term worker is often misused by most wrestling fans. Most say worker and when they say worker, they mean wrestler. You can be an average wrestler yet a superb worker and that's your Hogans of the world. Break down the lingo, the word worker. It comes from the term WORK which means to deceive your audience or make them believe what you want them to believe and that's where the all time greats shine; it's not necessarily just in-ring wrestling and athletic ability, but the ability to draw emotion out of the crowd or the ability to WORK a crowd.

So while Hogan can be considered an average in-ring wrestler or talent, his ability to work the crowd was second to none and that's why he's universally considered as a great worker but not necessarily a great wrestler.

The ones I tend to enjoy most are those that are great wrestlers and great workers but with that said, the guys that draw the most money are usually the great workers.

TL ; DR

Great wrestler = varied moveset, actual in-ring skills and athleticism (Chris Benoit, Dean Malenko, Dolph Ziggler etc)

Great worker = can work a crowd and have them in the palm of their hands (Hogan, Sting, Austin)

This 100X

Hogan is GOAT pro-rassler. Others had better in ring work, mic work, charisma, hell character, loyalty and respect for others ...but there has never been a Hogan.

People cried when he turned heel, people threw garbage into the ring, it was insane. All of a sudden cheering the heel was cool, because of Hogan. Thats how much people cared about Hogan.

I can respect this. It is not a jab against Shawn, Rock, or others I just do not think they were at Hogan’s level. Hogan’s level was pretty damn high, too.

TL ; DR

You are correct here. Hogan wa sforced to actually wrestle while he was touring Japan.

You can even find some of the videos on youtube and he’s actually wrestling.

Hogan was a pop culture icon during his run. Sure Austin was super over but he never transcended pop culture status like hogan. Even Austin got hogan level pops when he was at his height but he was never a household name like Hulk

I don’t even know if the rock has done that even tho he’s big in Hollywood now. You can make an argument for that tho.

Back