How Over War the Rock? This Over.

How over was The Rock.

The answer is "very".

Seriously, can you imagine any other era where someone could've actually challenged a guy like Stone Clod Steve Austin for fandom? No you can't, and that's why wrestling sucks today.

How over was The Rock.

The answer is "very".

Seriously, can you imagine any other era where someone could've actually challenged a guy like Stone Clod Steve Austin for fandom? No you can't, and that's why wrestling sucks today.

I think you can make a strong argument for jake Roberts andnpossibly even the ultimate warrior.

I remember hearing a shoot that said hogan didn’t want to work a program with Jake because he was taking some of the fandom off hogan.

I think you can make a strong argument for jake Roberts andnpossibly even the ultimate warrior.

Maybe Warrior. Roberts though, nah.

Roberts is hipster material. Appreciate him, but lets be real.

I remember hearing a shoot that said hogan didn’t want to work a program with Jake because he was taking some of the fandom off hogan.

That's the story. It wasn't Hogan's fault though. Vince just nixed it, when the fans turned on his meal ticket.

Then again, who really knows? Jake's a crack addict/alcoholic. I'm sure he always had great things planned for him...according to him.

Maybe Warrior. Roberts though, nah.

Roberts is hipster material. Appreciate him, but lets be real.

That's the story. It wasn't Hogan's fault though. Vince just nixed it, when the fans turned on his meal ticket.

Then again, who really knows? Jake's a crack addict/alcoholic. I'm sure he always had great things planned for him...according to him.

That’s what I’m saying. I think the animal /snake played a role in that also. Kids just loved that type of stuff.

I think there was a point where jake Roberts was as over as hogan but they knew he couldn’t carry the company with any type of longevity

That’s what I’m saying. I think the animal /snake played a role in that also. Kids just loved that type of stuff.

I think there was a point where jake Roberts was as over as hogan but they knew he couldn’t carry the company with any type of longevity

I think he "could've" been huge. But alas, history is what it is.

Maybe ahead of his time, in terms of his "anti-hero" status. We'll never know if the audience was bustin' for a guy like Jake at that time though. All we have are his "tales from the house shows" to gauge it. Kind of fitting that a guy like Austin launched himself into that kind of stardom off of him.

I think he "could've" been huge. But alas, history is what it is.

Maybe ahead of his time, in terms of his "anti-hero" status. We'll never know if the audience was bustin' for a guy like Jake at that time though. All we have are his "tales from the house shows" to gauge it. Kind of fitting that a guy like Austin launched himself into that kind of stardom off of him.

Yeah they were anti heroes. Good guys who weren’t always good.

And I think you can see jakes popularity during PPVs at the time. His drug use couldn’t have helped him tho, there was no way he would be allowed to carry the company instead of hogan if he was an addict.

Although I do remember warrior getting huge pops from the fans but he never drew close to what hogan drew when he led the company.

I think even randy savage might’ve been a bigger draw when he held the title. Randy was one of the best all around guys tho. He could do it all. Warrior was a bit limited and I think he was more about himself than the business. Randy was about the business and of course himself but I think the business came first. A lot of that has to do with how randy grew up. A wrestling family.

@HereticBD

Check this rare video out from the mid 80s.

He rumor is as follows. Jake DDT hogan and the crowd popped huge for him. This was a tv taping that never aired. Vince said it didn't make sense to knock hogan from the top spot because they didn't think Jake had longevity.

I will say one thing tho a Hogan/Steamboat vs Randy/Jake feud tag team style would've been a huge draw.

Yeah they were anti heroes. Good guys who weren’t always good.

And I think you can see jakes popularity during PPVs at the time. His drug use couldn’t have helped him tho, there was no way he would be allowed to carry the company instead of hogan if he was an addict.

Although I do remember warrior getting huge pops from the fans but he never drew close to what hogan drew when he led the company.

I think even randy savage might’ve been a bigger draw when he held the title. Randy was one of the best all around guys tho. He could do it all. Warrior was a bit limited and I think he was more about himself than the business. Randy was about the business and of course himself but I think the business came first. A lot of that has to do with how randy grew up. A wrestling family.

I think Jake was great, I just don't know how you can gauge the potential though. The 80's/early 90's were a different time, and using a guy like Macho kind of proves it. An anti-hero who was arguably more talented than Jake. He had everything given to him, but he was no Hogan, in terms of appeal. Think of what his heel "King" gimmick would've been like in the Attitude Era, with the same passion he put into it.

It just is what it is. At the end of the day, I think Jake was held back a bit, but I don't know if he could've ever been "the guy" in that era. In terms of the 80's and 90's, I think everything evolved as naturally as it could have.

I think Jake was great, I just don't know how you can gauge the potential though. The 80's/early 90's were a different time, and using a guy like Macho kind of proves it. An anti-hero who was arguably more talented than Jake. He had everything given to him, but he was no Hogan, in terms of appeal. Think of what his heel "King" gimmick would've been like in the Attitude Era, with the same passion he put into it.

It just is what it is. At the end of the day, I think Jake was held back a bit, but I don't know if he could've ever been "the guy" in that era. In terms of the 80's and 90's, I think everything evolved as naturally as it could have.

Not gonna lie, during the attitude era I would say to my friends that a prime randy savage would’ve fit in perfectly. I can’t think of another wrestler who would fit in that well. The craziest part is Jake Roberts might’ve been the only other guy who would’ve worked during attitude era. I think the cerebral attitude and the cerebral promos he cut would’ve fit perfectly.

Maybe and I mean maybeeeee, John Tenta could’ve worked. Not saying you would use the earthquake gimmick but I think he could’ve been the same thing Vader was before he got buried by the company. Tenta was super underrated imo. The man had the look, he was quick on his feet for a big man and he could cut a promo. He seemed like it was real.

And yeah randy savage is the best but he was never gonna reach Hogan status. Hell I was a kid at the time and other kids legit worshipped Hulk hogan

Also Jake could’ve held the title but not for any real length of time. For instance, he could’ve beaten someone for the belt who took it off hogan because Hulk was making a movie, or whatever he was doing at the time outside wrestling.

Not like a Ronnie Garvin win when he was with WCW. Something more substantial than that but he was just a place holder until Hogan was back.

Like Jim Cornette says. “Sometimes a guy needs to go away for a little while so you miss them and then u give the fans the payoff”

Hogan was a pop culture icon during his run. Sure Austin was super over but he never transcended pop culture status like hogan. Even Austin got hogan level pops when he was at his height but he was never a household name like Hulk

I don’t even know if the rock has done that even tho he’s big in Hollywood now. You can make an argument for that tho.

Hogan being the most iconic guy in the business is mostly due to him being the face of the company when Vince decided to take it national. He was the right guy at the right time. If he would have come up in any other era, he would not have had the impact on the business. I'm not stating he wasn't great, but his infamy is as much a product of external factors, as it is with Hogan himself.

Not gonna lie, during the attitude era I would say to my friends that a prime randy savage would’ve fit in perfectly. I can’t think of another wrestler who would fit in that well. The craziest part is Jake Roberts might’ve been the only other guy who would’ve worked during attitude era. I think the cerebral attitude and the cerebral promos he cut would’ve fit perfectly.

Maybe and I mean maybeeeee, John Tenta could’ve worked. Not saying you would use the earthquake gimmick but I think he could’ve been the same thing Vader was before he got buried by the company. Tenta was super underrated imo. The man had the look, he was quick on his feet for a big man and he could cut a promo. He seemed like it was real.

And yeah randy savage is the best but he was never gonna reach Hogan status. Hell I was a kid at the time and other kids legit worshipped Hulk hogan

Also Jake could’ve held the title but not for any real length of time. For instance, he could’ve beaten someone for the belt who took it off hogan because Hulk was making a movie, or whatever he was doing at the time outside wrestling.

Not like a Ronnie Garvin win when he was with WCW. Something more substantial than that but he was just a place holder until Hogan was back.

Like Jim Cornette says. “Sometimes a guy needs to go away for a little while so you miss them and then u give the fans the payoff”

Piper would've gotten himself over in the AE. He was basically SCSA but with the Scotsman gimmick.

Completely agree on earthquake. Doink the clown could have gotten interesting depending on how far they were willing to push the envelope. I could easily see it turning into a goldust situation where it gets shit canned but he might have been able to carve out a nice upper mid card role for himself.

Bret was way better on the mic than people give him credit for. He’d have the most heat in the WWE today. He might have stumbled over words, but his psychology was great, and he actually made you give a fuck about conflicts.

Miz is the only one who isn’t dogshit on the mic today. Probably because in the indies they rarely shoot angles and just learn to be spot monkies.

Enzo is/was ok.

Seth is good, for a millenial.

Older guys like y2j and hhh are still good.

Completely agree on earthquake. Doink the clown could have gotten interesting depending on how far they were willing to push the envelope. I could easily see it turning into a goldust situation where it gets shit canned but he might have been able to carve out a nice upper mid card role for himself.

Yeah, Clowns are metal.

Yeah, Clowns are metal.
Turn a crash holly hardcore title feud into something like.
501.jpg

That Reigns promo in the OP was grim. I can't believe that they are actually going with him.

@HereticBD

He rumor is as follows. Jake DDT hogan and the crowd popped huge for him. This was a tv taping that never aired. Vince said it didn't make sense to knock hogan from the top spot because they didn't think Jake had longevity.

Yup, Jake wasn't built for the long run unfortunately

How over was The Rock.

The answer is "very".

Usually, it would bother me that the two Royal Rumble winners can’t speak English... but today’s canned, scripted promos suck so fucking bad that I think not being able to talk actually helps Nakamura ans Asuka...

That’s how far we’ve fallen.

@HereticBD

I will say one thing tho a Hogan/Steamboat vs Randy/Jake feud tag team style would've been a huge draw.

The snake was the most over gimmick. The ddt was the most over move. Jake was the best talker. He could have topped Hogan for popularity in the arenas, but he would have never sold vitamins and ice cream bars like Hulk.

Hulk had muscles. Hulk was the super hero. Jake was never going to be that

Now if it was NWA, if it was Crockett, if it was Memphis, if it was mid South, if it was Texas, if this was Rasslin’, we were talking about, then Jake all day every day. But we aren’t talking about rasslin, brother.

Last edited:
Back