How should I be working out my core?

STRYDG

Purple Belt
@purple
Reaction score
So I do the usual gym 3 times a week for the standard push/pull/leg day. We have ab crunch machines/benches and a rotary torso. Is there much use of these or am I better sticking to leg raises and popping somthing else in that doesnt involve a machine?

Besides that is there much benefit for back hyperextensions? Lower back seems to be a tricky area to work out and also weary of injury. Majority of my other excercises are compounds tried and true stuff but unsure on the core (unintentional lame rhyme).

if you squat, deadlift and do overhead presses, you don't need to work your core that much. one armed overhead presses or one armed pulls are great variations for hitting the abs/lower back.

My core and lower back have improved greatly since I've added ab/core floor exercise to my schedule. I fit them in on off days and the end of workouts,
Heels to the heavens, planks same side knee to elbow, opposite side knee to elbow, marching planks,rogue rows, sit ups, star fish crunches, canoe crunch,V-ups, etc. I pick 4 and do three sets of each in a series.

Try Turkish sit-ups. It's the first part of a Turkish get up. I started training these 5 months ago. I was actually ble to hit a sit-up sweep from closed guard last tournament. Seriously increased my drive off of my back. I do 5x10 sets each side. Pick a light dumbbell to start, then heavier as you gain strength.

I think do few sets of plank,side planks,hollow body hold,ab wheel etc.. at the end of your training or in your rest day.

if you squat, deadlift and do overhead presses, you don't need to work your core that much. one armed overhead presses or one armed pulls are great variations for hitting the abs/lower back.

Strict OHP and One Arm Press are the forgotten (forsaken?) strength movements, and I can never understand why.

So many people would rather do push-press or some other variation that isn't quite Olympic, but isn't strict either just to move slightly more weight, but not focus on getting stronger in the lift, or utilizing it to get better at an Oly.

Having a planted, staggered stance with one arm press, and just using a bit of hip tilt to drive the press and align your shoulder/hip is such a fantastic movement.

In addition to the usual "hypertrophy" exercises like crunches and leg raises try adding in some static exercises where you resist certain movements. Moves like an ab wheel which is an anti extension move, TRX fallouts train the same thing and are really good. Anti rotation exercises like palloff presses and one arm dumbell bench press, and anti lateral flexion exercises like suitcase deadlifts and one arm overhead db press. And yes there is a benefit to back hyperextensions, they combat the flexion of crunches and sit-ups which reduces lower back pain and a strong lower back is always good to have when squatting and deadlifting.

Deadlift hyper extensions, weighted ab wheel/planks, waiter walks/suitcase carry and one flexion based excercise

So I do the usual gym 3 times a week for the standard push/pull/leg day. We have ab crunch machines/benches and a rotary torso. Is there much use of these or am I better sticking to leg raises and popping somthing else in that doesnt involve a machine?

Just do a few basic ab exercises, but focus all your attention on achieving maximum posterior pelvic tilt. Now that I know what this is and see how fixing it helped my athleticism, I feel bad when I see people working out with their pelvis in significant anterior tilt. Classic symptom of bad posture and can really fuck you up during strength movements. It caused me nothing but problems and I'm sure it does to others, as well.

Besides that is there much benefit for back hyperextensions? Lower back seems to be a tricky area to work out and also weary of injury. Majority of my other excercises are compounds tried and true stuff but unsure on the core (unintentional lame rhyme).

Jefferson curls. Start light and sloooooooowly work your way up to bodyweight on the bar.

If you're looking for a six-pack just throw a few randomabs.com workouts into your week. They also have a bit of a boner for oblique work. Since I'm a boxer, the work you get from strong lifts isn't appropriate for me beyond the beginner level, I need to work in a wider ROM and over many more reps.

Whatever ab/back work you do and how well it works for you depends entirely on your disposition. I never quite got the need for back hyperextensions and it's definitely not a cure for all back ailments, quite the contrary. However if it works for you!

Lots of good suggestions in the thead.
If you're looking for a six-pack just throw a few randomabs.com workouts into your week. They also have a bit of a boner for oblique work. Since I'm a boxer, the work you get from strong lifts isn't appropriate for me beyond the beginner level, I need to work in a wider ROM and over many more reps.
A wild apizur appears! Welcome back!

real question is, will all of that get me closer to the two girls in your av?

This may sound weird but heavy cheat tricep pushdowns. When I say cheat I just mean don't do super strict just focus on triceps activation.
Set up in super close position where you can handle the most amount of weight. Keep your elbows to your side. And use heavy ass weight, enough weight where you have to really give it all to keep your body on top of the weight, staying tight, keeping your form and holding your body in position as much as you can. Make sure you pause at the bottom.
On the last couple reps your entire core will BUUUUUURN LIKE A MOTHER FUCKER. You should throw a couple sets of these in with your normal pushdowns. Honestly this plus heavy ass overhead press has really worked wonders for my mid section.

For direct work on abs, my favorite exercise is weighted decline crunches. Simply set up on a decline bench and grab a dumbbell or a plate; it's easy to progress by adding weight. For lower back, it's 45 degree back raises with a DB or plate, which is again easy to progressively overload.

Back