How the f**k do you make friends as an adult

Catnip_essential_oil.jpg

Catnip is awesome.
funny-cats-catnip-6-5940ddc2087a7__605.jpg

I was tricked into attending church years ago, it was a terrible experience. I went just to be around some new, decent people, and found myself in the middle of a group raging about the lie of evolution and the conspiracy to remove God from schools and damn our children to hell. I didn't know I was that close to that kind of people.

I've never heard anything like that at church.. Although, I go to Catholic churches, and only a few times a year.

Catnip is awesome.
funny-cats-catnip-6-5940ddc2087a7__605.jpg

I google image searched catnip and found that image.

It felt suspicious after I posted it so I reverse image searched it and found that it's herbal tea.

Tried again.

Yes, I'm that careful when posting unless I'm super tired.

What do you like to do TS?

Friends will have commom interests.

Example, i like to play music. Most of my good friends do also

Being a regular at a gym and just eventually saying hi and making small talk with others you see there often is one of the best ways to make friends.

Post on Sherdog as a paperclip and start your own cult

You don't. We need friends as children and adolescents because we're still learning and developing. Once you're an adult, it's unnecessary especially as you get older and realize that people and society at large are all shit.

Then you start a lucrative career so you can buy land out in the country and feel superior

I personally hang out outside high schools and make friends with 17yrs old. Works for me the past 13 years.

Somewhat surprising to hear this. Somehow got the impression all Americans are chatty, community-spirited extroverts.
You'd be very surprised to know how many Americans are very withdrawn and go to great lengths to not talk to anyone.

Of course, this is also very regional. In the South where I'm from, people are generally friendly and don't shy away from talking to strangers.

I just go up to people and sue “Hey, Sup”. Then we are friends

In the office? be gay.

At the gym? Be a roid monkey.

Most other places? Be a lying weirdo who acts like he was a dork in school, but is making up for it by kind of acting like a teenager now.

Also, being a woman or minority makes it harder to be mean to you, so that helps too.

TS you should pm your pics to me. Do you have Skype?

I was tricked into attending church years ago, it was a terrible experience. I went just to be around some new, decent people, and found myself in the middle of a group raging about the lie of evolution and the conspiracy to remove God from schools and damn our children to hell. I didn't know I was that close to that kind of people.
By whom were you tricked? You can generally tell beforehand what kind of church it is by just the name. There's a first Presbyterian in like every city and none are crazy.

I've moved to unfamiliar cities a few times. Just find a bar with some music, hang out and get to know the bartenders and you'll meet other regulars. There isn't much to do with friends as an adult anyway so generally better to just meet chicks.

I feel your pain. I get forced to hang out with my girls friends boyfriend's while the girls do stuff together. They're all a bunch of 115lb hipsters. I tried to teach one to shoot a bow the other day and he couldn't even draw it. So I said ok let's go drink and he wouldn't because apparently the beer I had wasn't vegan. These are pretty much the only guys I meet nowadays

At what point did you introduce him to the jab?

Being a regular at a gym and just eventually saying hi and making small talk with others you see there often is one of the best ways to make friends.

That used to be the case 10+ years ago, I recall the gym use to be much more of a social place but every person has headphones in these days and picks up their smartphone between sets. It's really weird to me because I stopped going to a commercial gym around 2007 and started up again around 2012 and the entire landscape changed. I'm not a chatty person at the gym but I do find it interesting how different it is now.

You'd be very surprised to know how many Americans are very withdrawn and go to great lengths to not talk to anyone.

Of course, this is also very regional. In the South where I'm from, people are generally friendly and don't shy away from talking to strangers.
That is indeed very surprising to hear.
Of course, my main impression of America and Americans comes through media and pop culture, and there seems to be a definite tendency to portray American culture as extroverted and group-oriented. Americans i have met here and when travelling have been super chatty and outgoing, too, so i just assumed most Americans were naturally extroverted.

I've heard the South has a reputation for being especially friendly and courteous, the famous 'Southern charm' and all that - why do you think there are these regional differences?

Move to New York.

Any Midwestern city like KC or Denver are full of squares.
Big cities will have people of all ages that are down to party and run around.
You go to places like KC or some shit like that and people follow the traditional values. Go to college, get a wife, sit at home and watch Hannity. Have a beer once a month.

Its disgusting really.

This. I'm 44 and meet friends pretty easily. I've met guys at the gym or at work or just going to a cool brewery or bar. It's pretty easy because there are so many damn people here.

Back