How threatening was Sadam Hosein to the world?

ShinkanPo

Titanium Belt
@Titanium
Reaction score
I remember back in the early 90s people are scared of him and even in our country there are some fears that Sadam will use some poison gas against Saudi and other neighboring countries he was blamed for the oil price increase during that time and was depicted as a villain by the local media and always made fun of by local comedians etc,

Is he really that a global threat?

6a00d8341bf8f353ef017ee99349ad970d.jpg.size.xxxlarge.promo.jpg

Saddam fascinates me.

He is president of Iraq he has die hard supporters but at the same time has arch Rivals like Muqtada Al Sdr.

despite US suctions against him and all the atrocities he committed against some of the Kurds and Sadrs men it took the Invasion of fucking US of A to remove him from power.

I wonder what back room deals he made with W.Bush in the late 70s and 80s when W. was the Vice Press and later the Press in the late 80s.

In the 90s the after the Gulf War he was so vilified in the global media that in my country Saddam is a household name fathers scare their kids and tells them to behave or else Saddam will get them!

When I was in 2nd Grade a schoolmate of mine would always draw Saddam from Memory!

Every day is Saddam Day every problem in the country was blamed at Saddam! But we are like 7,000 miles from Iraq!

There is even a Tagalog language pop rap novelty song about Saddam!

Because the word Saddam fits with the Tagalog phrase "sa dami" roughly translates so many! The song is about the "so many problems facing society during the early 90s!"

"Presyo ng gasolina ay nakakainis
Lagi na lang tinatago ang supply ng langis
No wonder everybody is going insane
Lahat sila bine blame si mr. Hussein

Chorus:
Sa sa saddami ng problema natin
Sa sa saddami ng utang parin
Sa sa saddami ng kaguluhan
Sumasakit ang ulo ng mamamayan"

Translation.

Price of Oil annoying!
They always hoard the suply of oil
No wonder everybody is going insane
They all Blame Mr.Husain

With all the many problems we face
With all the dept
With all the Chaos
It gives the people headache.

3a.jpg

Last edited:
He was a regional threat, he wasn't exporting terrorism like Saudi Arabia or using stolen passports from other countries as a part of an international assassination ring. His great crime was messing with the global oil racket by attacking Kuwait.

And so he had to get whacked.

mild local threat, more so inside iraq, if anything.

Not a threat to the world.
But the world around him, that entire region, he was a disaster.
A disaster for his own people. And he invaded Kuwait to loot it and pay for his army, which he couldn't, because the war with Iran had been so costly.
He was a threat.
Contained as far as the US was concerned but an unstable leader in that region commanding the sixth largest army in the world.

He was good for the world. He kept his Muslims in check. Now look at it over there.

Not much at all. The Israel lobby blew things out of proportion.

Only as threatening as he was allowed

Didn't take long for someone to blame the Jews.

I'm not one of those at all. In this case though, Saddam was building a giant gun to shoot Israel with and they lobbied for his destruction.

Not a difficult cookie here.

I'm not one of those at all. In this case though, Saddam was building a giant gun to shoot Israel with and they lobbied for his destruction.

Not a difficult cookie here.

I think I know which canon you are talking about!

ACME_Rocket.jpg

(for the record, it didn't work out so well for the coyote...)

He messed with what rich white men say happens with oil.

Instant death sentence.

To the world? 0 threat.

Osama died of natural causes. They didnt dump his body in no ocean. I forget why they said they did that but if we really got him he would have been paraded around like Saddam was, even if he was shot. The capture of Saddam and seeing these pics just reminded me of that. They didnt toss him in the fucking ocean. Can't believe people bought that bs. On second thought I can.

He wasn't a threat at all. He was a functionally secular leader in the middle east. The whole issue is just weird, there is clearly tons that we don't know about what really happened.

Iraq under Saddam was among the most progressive nations in the region. Education for women, healthcare, etc... was among the best in the region.

Iraqs accusations about slant drilling (the nominal reason for the invasion of Kuwait) were accurate. They asked for permission and where told that the US had no interest in an arab-arab conflict.

Kuwait is literally 10x worse on human rights then Iraq ever was. Just an absolute shithole.

None of it made any sense whatsoever. Saddam was a strongarm dictator, and his sons were monsters. But compared to the rest of the region he was prince charming.

dude was good for the middle east. Look at Iraq after America destroyed it to Iraq back when he was running things.

Osama died of natural causes. They didnt dump his body in no ocean. I forget why they said they did that but if we really got him he would have been paraded around like Saddam was, even if he was shot. The capture of Saddam and seeing these pics just reminded me of that. They didnt toss him in the fucking ocean. Can't believe people bought that bs. On second thought I can.

qft .. and no saddam wasn't any global threat lol .. :facepalm:

A great book entitled Saddam's Bombmaker makes the case that he was trying to be a huge global threat. So in that sense he certainly was..

Back